For the "is it drum corps or marching band" folks, WGI may feel your pain

For the folks who adamantly argue drum corps is not marching band and the marching band folks who argue just as  vehemently that it is, WGI may feel your pain. Hampton Inn has a new commercial where a bored dad is sitting at what is clearly a colorguard competition and the announcer calls it a "flag dancing" competition. BTW, I looked up flag dancing prior to this post. It's an ethic dance with flags (a combination of banners and flamenco dancing) so while you could possibly see "flag dancing" in WGI, what the commercial portrayed was not flag dancing. So to the outside world drum corps may be marching band, but WGI colorguards are flag dance troupes.

I'm impressed you thought to look up flag dancing. And that was good info.

There is an earlier thread about this commercial, with a couple of pages of comments:

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

For the folks who adamantly argue drum corps is not marching band and the marching band folks who argue just as  vehemently that it is, WGI may feel your pain. Hampton Inn has a new commercial where a bored dad is sitting at what is clearly a colorguard competition and the announcer calls it a "flag dancing" competition. BTW, I looked up flag dancing prior to this post. It's an ethic dance with flags (a combination of banners and flamenco dancing) so while you could possibly see "flag dancing" in WGI, what the commercial portrayed was not flag dancing. So to the outside world drum corps may be marching band, but WGI colorguards are flag dance troupes.

I saw that last week...lmao...DCI= Band.....WGI= flag dancing guess, we can't deny either..lol

what was spot on imo was when they said 7 hours of it. I feel the pain, I don't know how the loyal and dedicated parents do it..YIKES..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

25 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I saw that last week...lmao...DCI= Band.....WGI= flag dancing guess, we can't deny either..lol

what was spot on imo was when they said 7 hours of it. I feel the pain, I don't know how the loyal and dedicated parents do it..YIKES..lol

Haven't been to a colorguard show in a while, but the longest colorguard show moves much faster than the shortest cheerleading competition. That's what Crown should have depicted in 2015's "Inferno" because there have been many times I've had no choice but to attend a cheerleading contest and "Abandon hope, all he who enter here" is exactly how I feel. Cheerleading contests can make me question God, the goodness of humanity , and life in general.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Haven't been to a colorguard show in a while, but the longest colorguard show moves much faster than the shortest cheerleading competition. That's what Crown should have depicted in 2015's "Inferno" because there have been many times I've had no choice but to attend a cheerleading contest and "Abandon hope, all he who enter here" is exactly how I feel. Cheerleading contests can make me question God, the goodness of humanity , and life in general.

lol..i hear ya. I've been to many of those also ( painful ) try judging a gymnastic ribbon and ball contest where they all are required to use the same music :blink:  BUT I have also, for 1 reason or another, sat through hours of shows within our activity and it can be just as painful, I don't know how some do it. Now if I'm judging , as long, time wise as it can be , It's much better . I think because there are things I'm looking for and have a job to do and be fair and helpful to those I critique.

Don't get me wrong, just watching a show is great also BUT those who have to sit hour after hour after hour deserve their own kudos and thanks of course

• Like 2

When my daughter swam, we used to have a saying. "If I only had one day to live, I would want it to be at a swim meet - they last forever."

• Like 4