Opening Night!

On 6/15/2017 at 2:54 PM, barigirl78 said:

Just purchased my ticket for Manhattan, a half a block from Times Square.  I expect the crowd to be mostly Cadets fans.

Are the Manhattan theaters typically packed? I'm not from around here, just happen to be in the area for a month. 

I'm planning to hit the theater by Union Square!

27 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

It almost makes me wish I would break and watch shows before Houston.

Lots of direct flights on United to Indy from Houston. It could be a fine one-day + overnight for the 2018 Tour Premier and get you engaged from the start.

If you can at all swing it, the Minneapolis show every year has a lot of corps, occurs at a good point in the tour, and should be an easy travel plan.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 9:56 AM, mingusmonk said:

If you will be around Indiana for the opening show, or the next few weeks since there is a lot of Indiana shows, you might check out this list of corps housing/rehearsal sites.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7plk6s2iyqmz7e4/2017 IndianaCorpsSites.xlsx?dl=0

I have had a lot of people complain about the Dropbox link having problems. I am sharing on Google Drive as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5WCSmrSe4B8WHVDQ3ZRblJLUWc/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

I have some thoughts based more on hunches than actual proof for Thursday night. If a hunch is wrong, it is only a hunch, but sometimes a hunch is right on the money.

1st--Bluecoats. My reason? I took lots of photos last year and judging by my shots of last year and Facebook this year, there are a lot of similar faces which means lots of vets, or the same people who I captured last year managed to get on Facebook this year.

2nd--Cavies. I expect a strong beginning for them.

3rd--Crown. I can only base this on a YouTube video, but I didn't get a strong Crown vibe from it. That's not to say I won't feel differently when I see it in the theater. The quality of the recording was so so and they were not in uniform, but I wasn't as impressed as others who saw the same video.

4th--Cadets. All I've seen are rather poor quality Facebook videos, where the posters do not want negative comments, and given some people who love basing the Cadets, that's understandable. What I'm seeing is a bit of a mess and there are parts I have to wait and see before commenting. Some of these things will have little to do with how judges view the show, but I'm not expecting a strong finish on Thursday.

Crossmen and Blue Stars could be interesting. Both corps have had great preseason press and both have been on the lists of some who expect them not to make finals. I expect both to be competing in Indy on finals night. I'm going to predict Crossmen build in last yea's momentum and place 5th, but Blue Stars will only be about half a point behind.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Lots of direct flights on United to Indy from Houston. It could be a fine one-day + overnight for the 2018 Tour Premier and get you engaged from the start.

If you can at all swing it, the Minneapolis show every year has a lot of corps, occurs at a good point in the tour, and should be an easy travel plan.

Just found out that I may have some extra vacation time from work. It is not a bad idea

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I have some thoughts based more on hunches than actual proof for Thursday night. If a hunch is wrong, it is only a hunch, but sometimes a hunch is right on the money.

1st--Bluecoats. My reason? I took lots of photos last year and judging by my shots of last year and Facebook this year, there are a lot of similar faces which means lots of vets, or the same people who I captured last year managed to get on Facebook this year.

2nd--Cavies. I expect a strong beginning for them.

3rd--Crown. I can only base this on a YouTube video, but I didn't get a strong Crown vibe from it. That's not to say I won't feel differently when I see it in the theater. The quality of the recording was so so and they were not in uniform, but I wasn't as impressed as others who saw the same video.

4th--Cadets. All I've seen are rather poor quality Facebook videos, where the posters do not want negative comments, and given some people who love basing the Cadets, that's understandable. What I'm seeing is a bit of a mess and there are parts I have to wait and see before commenting. Some of these things will have little to do with how judges view the show, but I'm not expecting a strong finish on Thursday.

Crossmen and Blue Stars could be interesting. Both corps have had great preseason press and both have been on the lists of some who expect them not to make finals. I expect both to be competing in Indy on finals night. I'm going to predict Crossmen build in last yea's momentum and place 5th, but Blue Stars will only be about half a point behind.

Cavies in 2nd... I like it haha!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Are the Manhattan theaters typically packed? I'm not from around here, just happen to be in the area for a month. 

I'm planning to hit the theater by Union Square!

I always go to the Regal Union Square theater for prelims. I usually only show up for the top 6 and it's always packed in there. I always have to sit up front. I'm not sure how crowded it gets for the preview show though. 

• Like 1