Opening Night!

3 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

My immediate thought when I saw Bluecoats

A Clockwork Orange would make a great show - Dystopia w/ the music (The Glorious Ninth of Ludwig Van) being absolutely central.  But good luck on portraying the misogyny & ultra-violence also central to the plot.  This is a show we will never see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

But it doesn't matter. If the Bluecoats scored a 60.0 and won tonight, I wouldn't think "holy crap, none of these six are going to make finals." I'd think, "gee, they are scoring the corps low to start. Weird." It's just a number. Whether you win finals with a 96 or a 99, you win finals. 

Again, the brass judge scores Crossmen first. If he gives them a score that's too high, then Blue Stars come out and are 0.5 better, their score is too high too, and so on and so forth. Same if the Crossmen are scored to low. It's all about spreads, not the final score. BD wasn't 0.35 from perfect in 2014. They were just that much better than the 2nd place score, and the judges ran out of room. Spreads matter, not numbers.

Stop with the facts 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forevergreen said:

Truth.  I did not think they were the best, but not 4th.

Atleast she gave them a nice content score 

Cadets is my favorite show. Cavies and Bluecoats were vulgar. Bad vibes. Costume for Crown's singer is a crime. All shows are so formulaic musically and visually. Unlike I think drum corps should be weirder, but in less stupid ways. More on that thought later.

OH! The Crossmen sounded really good! Yay go Crossmen I liked the big drill and your brass is good. :)

• Like 4

Just now, henry7184 said:

But it doesn't matter. If the Bluecoats scored a 60.0 and won tonight, I wouldn't think "holy crap, none of these six are going to make finals." I'd think, "gee, they are scoring the corps low to start. Weird." It's just a number. Whether you win finals with a 96 or a 99, you win finals. 

Again, the brass judge scores Crossmen first. If he gives them a score that's too high, then Blue Stars come out and are 0.5 better, their score is too high too, and so on and so forth. Same if the Crossmen are scored to low. It's all about spreads, not the final score. BD wasn't 0.35 from a perfect show in 2014. They were just that much better than the 2nd place score, and the judges ran out of room. Spreads matter, not numbers.

Yes, yes... I know what inflated slotting is.

I am making the case that this is neither inflated slotting nor is it a prelude to 100.
We will see after the next show if I am right.  But I would imagine that we will see high scores on the first few nights at all shows with a slower climb in points through the course of the season.  My suggestion is that corps are better prepared on night 1 than they have ever been.

The season is on! Solid opening night that set the tone for the next 2 months. Few stray observations:

-Crossmen-

• Really digging the new unis from the audience perspective, nice pop of color to help differentiate amongst the rest of the uniform and the props.

• Speaking of props, they claimed their first victim of the even with that tenor player right before their feature.

-Blue Stars-

• LOVED their approach on the ballad this year, great to see them following up a great last season with another show that leaves a lot of room for growth.

-Cadets-

• Unfamiliar with Bernsteins' work, I feel this show will take a few hearings (and viewings) to notice all the small details that they've scattered throughout. The progression of the uniform was a nice touch, reminded me of '11 from the high cam at least.

• That drumline is on fire! Those callbacks to previous years with the kick/playing on the ground did not go by unnoticed...

• Choir is one of the best uses of vocals I've heard on a field; I feel like in large part because they're a vocal ensemble that blends instead of a solo performer ie. Crown. From the theatre audio at least they sounded like they integrated very well.

-Cavaliers-

• Interesting execution. Curious where they will take all the vocal samples throughout the season, especially with how it plays off what's being played; it doesn't have the best pacing at the moment, especially near the end. The joke about 5 minutes in got a huge response from the crowd I was with though.

• Dude.

-Carolina Crown-

• That hornline! LUSH! Their brass never fails to amaze, and this year is no different.

• Singer drew lots of negative remarks from the theatre. My main reservation about it is that if she's going to be as loud -if not louder- than the hornline for nearly 5 minutes, it should only be fair that more notes are in tune. It can definitely be done, it just feels like one person is having to play a lot of catch up with 149 others that are already executing the show at a top 5 level.

• Crowns drumline has been improving over the years, and this might be my favorite book of theirs since 2010. Quite a bit of demand and some quality notes thrown in there.

• Not sure what those white boards are doing besides causing some MMs to be caution when approaching them; especially noticeable with the ground cam.

-Bluecoats-

• White bodyforming costume again, and the 2nd addition to the list of corps rocking a bowler this season.

• Loved the ballad, but it sounds like they're being played through the speakers in the center of the field? Hard to tell with the audio we had.

• Another high energy show, seems like the current attitude so far is "Down Side Up V.2" Little too much of the same, but knowing them, that's not going to last. Can't wait to see how this evolves in the coming weeks!

Comments and concerns aside, I loved each production! Glad that we all have some quality shows to enjoy this year and beyond, it's going to be a unique season!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Just got back from the theater. Crown, wth was that?? The second half of the show (introduction of the soloist) was just cringeworthy and awkward. Felt like she was left on an island out there by herself. Just...wasn't well-integrated at all. It either needs to be scrapped or undergo massive changes. IMO, of course.

Lucky they perform so well (now). That show especially part 2.... worse Crown ever. Those GE scores will fade fast once their neighbors catch up on cleanliness.

• Like 3