Opening Night!

11 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Just got back from the theater. Crown, wth was that?? The second half of the show (introduction of the soloist) was just cringeworthy and awkward. Felt like she was left on an island out there by herself. Just...wasn't well-integrated at all. It either needs to be scrapped or undergo massive changes. IMO, of course.

My exact reaction after seeing the preview show vid.

• Like 3

Fav order:

1. Cadets- I see them blossoming. 

2. Blue Stars- there is a maturity which will start to gel. 

3. Crown-nice ballad!

4. Bloo- weird but they have the momentum

5. Crown- starts off like typical Crown (which is getting a bit redundant) and unfortunately morphs into that second half. Great brass.

6. Cavies- it's just too much whatever that means. I need another look.

• Like 2

5 words each

Bloo - not as innovative, but gooood

Crown - Too Disneyesque in second half

Cavies - Frenetic, confusing, but pretty cool

Cadets - Manna from heaven, being 4th

Blue Stars - Should have been 4th tonight

Crossmen - missing a little drill oomph

Just my opinion above.

In theater tonight crossmen and cadets got polite applause.  No one sure Blue Stars show was done.  Cavies got a mixed reaction.  Crown was a fave.  Bloo was unquestionably the big fave.  Comments heard: Bloo was great. Cadets got a gift.

overall there is a lot of room to grow for all.  Each so very different from the other.

Just back from the theater and a couple of thoughts.  First, the theater was pretty full and the Louisiana audience was VERY different from all of my prior experiences in Philly and NYC.  They were very appreciative and gave lots of applause.  Good to hear everyone into the shows.  Second, while I have learned years ago to never decide on the fate of a show in June, I will say that I am not getting that "special" vibe that I have had in the past when I have seen a championship show early on from any of the shows tonight.  Which is a good thing for everyone there because they are all on fairly even footing (albeit not solid footing given that BD and SCV are yet be heard from).

Some thoughts.   Bluecoats were OK, just not special.  And following a special show like last year is going to be very difficult. Crown was awesome to start, but man did that show jump the shark when the concert broke out.  Cavies show was so much about nothing that it felt like nothing at the end of the day.  Not mch can be done about that, except perhaps add more tenor spins.   I thin kthe Cadets show moght have a lane this year.  Needs some work and the permance from brass and (apparently) percussion need to step up.  But at least the show felt like something.  And I always like something more than nothing.   Blue Stars had the most cringeworthy moment of the night with Lady Marmalade.  But,  they looked well put together and solid across the board.  The crowd in my theater loved Crossmen.  Really connected well.  We will see if they have aomething apecial brewing this year.  

All of that being said, overall a very solid start to the season.  Can't wait to see where these shows and all of the rest of the shows go from here!  It is only June!!!! 

• Like 3

Just now, Cappybara said:

This is a really dumb conversation and I really don't know why you're arguing this so hard. 

You believe corps are unusually prepared this year. Others don't. Done.

?

I don't think people disagree with me... I think that my point with another poster was just misunderstood.  I am trying to be clear and make you aware that I'm not a moron when it comes to the idea that scores CAN BE relative and inflated.

• Like 2

Everyone praising the Cavies, but for all the backlash the Cadets were getting, they really showed up tonight. Even without an ending, they still got 4 points ahead of the Blue Stars who I thought was very good. In the theater they seemed VERY visually dirty, but when they add the ending and clean that up it could very well end up as a top 5 or 6 show. I absolutely love it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

...was awesome to start, but man did that show jump the shark when the concert broke out.

Snarfed my late night coffee when I read that.  Haven't heard that expression in a while.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

A football venue is not designed for vocal acoustics. Voice, vocals and a choir should never be used except in a acoustically controlled environment like a theater. Major balance issues from all corps with vocals not to mention bad vocals. Simon Cowell would have a field day slapping the X button listening to that garbage. Don't believe it's being adjudicated correctly either. But I've never been a fan of signing in bandcorps. 

Fair points to make. I happen to like what I heard tonight (minus a little of the narration), but I need to hear it live to get a better feel for balance. Saturday will help here in Canton.

• Like 1