Opening Night!

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think I can explain why you he gap wasn't wider. Bloo had a rough, rough almost Murphy's Law run. Huge mic issues created huge balance and loss of effect issues. And having a snare player wipe out off of the ramp couldn't help (btw, never happened before -- new marching shoes?) I think you can get a drift of the show from what you saw / heard tonight, but man, it was a rough night.

If you are right (and I assume you are)... winning at your worst isn't a bad place to be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think I can explain why you he gap wasn't wider. Bloo had a rough, rough almost Murphy's Law run. Huge mic issues created huge balance and loss of effect issues. And having a snare player wipe out off of the ramp couldn't help (btw, never happened before -- new marching shoes?) I think you can get a drift of the show from what you saw / heard tonight, but man, it was a rough night.

I think everyone had rough nights just like this. First show jitters. Nobody was clean, no show is finished, many changes to come, and the kids will perform better with each show.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

When you have the best brass line on Planet Earth, why would you ruin it by using it to back up a pitchy singer?!?!? 

Blue Devils are not using a singer contrary to what you heard.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mfrontz said:

Tonight will do nothing to quiet the 'Deb Torchia hates The Cavaliers' contingent

Honestly, as soon as I saw the guard recap I didn't need to look and see who judged. I could tell.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

VK had their Sex-Cymbals, Boston took the bite out of the Apple,.... this is only a progression from that.

I vividly remember walking around the concourse of Grant Field in 1982 and staring at the guard members from the Bridgemen.  They wore tights that were so thin and form fitting that... well... you knew they were not wearing underwear and had shaved.    :spitting:  :blink: 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

- Cavies' use of samples this year isn't as fluid as last year, but at least they tried to create the effect with samples and recordings.  

As fluid as this time last year or by season's end? My recollection is it took them a long time to figure out exactly how they wanted all that to fit together, and that they made numerous changes.

For instance, at this point last year, weren't they doing the "Great Dictator" speech live? Only switching to a pre-recorded version later in the season?

While on the other hand, didn't they add the snare line chanting "it's pro-pa-gan-da" live through small bullhorns only towards the end of the summer?

Cadets and Crown would've been much better served to sprinkle in recorded stuff rather than use live voice, in my opinion.

May as well record the brass and percussion then. Drum corps should be live as much as possible.

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Definitely needs tweaks and shaping but has a ton of potential.  This show has a great deal of promise.  

Yeah I agree! Their production isn't as cluttered this year too. Def see them move up.

• Like 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Crossmen tenor went down hard tonight.  He seemed ok but I'm sending positive thoughts that he's well. 

Coats snare too.

• Like 1