Opening Night!

Two hour drive from Vegas and just saw the scores.  Didn't figure on a 72.  This might have the BD licking their chops.

Main thoughts I came away with.

1.  Bluecoats-Downside Up Part Dos.  Haven't read all the previous pages, but the "their feet are dirty" crowd will also be having a Part Dos with this issue this year.  At least initially.

2. Cadets looked really impressive waiting to be announced.  Much better program this year.

3.  With anniversary years, the BD and SCV are not dropping out of the top six.  And the top four tonight maybe hanging around in the top six for another year, even if in different positions, but we still need to see the other contenders.   Yes, this will be a better year than last year.

4. I'm guessing most of these corps competing tonight are all using another 18 wheeler.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Two hour drive from Vegas and just saw the scores.  Didn't figure on a 72.  This might have the BD licking their chops.

1.  Bluecoats-Downside Up Part Dos.  Haven't read all the previous pages, but the "their feet are dirty" crowd will also be having a Part Dos with this issue this year.  At least initially.

2. Cadets looked really impressive waiting to be announced.  Much better program this year.

3.  With anniversary years, the BD and SCV are not dropping out of the top six.  And the top four tonight maybe hanging around in the top six for another year, even if in different positions, but we still need to see the other contenders.   Yes, this will be a better year than last year.

4. I'm guessing most of these corps competing tonight are all using another 18 wheeler.

Almost everyone has added a semi trailer just for props this year. At least one corps in attendance tonight has added an "audio" truck as well.

More stuff on the field...

5 hours ago, KPinCAL said:

Choosing SCV practice tonight over the theater. Not an easy decision but I've got the boards to hear about everything! 

You'll probably have bootlegs too in a while.

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Not too sure about this year being better than last year. A lot of the shows this year seem over-designed and have very poor implementation of voice. 

2015 was the year corps did singing/narration well. This year? Ugh

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

nope! They wear them for Part 1. Shed the choir robes for Part 2 and have another layer for Part 3

Low brass keeps the robes longer than the mid and high brass.

Plenty to like tonight from the friendly confines of Lucas Oil. I continued my annual tradition of attending the show with friends with little or no drum corps experience. An added benefit is I challenge my biases by literally starting each summer with fresh eyes. Both guests enjoyed the Crossmen and Blue Stars. Both liked Cadets and accurately (per the final scores) sensed a jump in talent and show quality. Both liked the first two-thirds of the Cavaliers, especially the energy of the show. But one said, "By the time the My Way clips began I was ready for them to be done." Both were in awe of the beginning of Crown's show, neither cared for the second half of the show. One complained the vocal soloist was featured for "far too long". Adding, "Why would you feature one decent singer for so long when you could keep showcasing those horns? Has any corps ever featured a single instrumental soloist for that long?" They both loved the Bluecoats and felt that even with the visible glitches (snare fall coming down the ramp, some pit amplification issues, etc.) that they were "clearly on a different level than the others, no pun intended."

All in all, I found I mostly agreed with their comments. Overall, it clearly felt like the first show of the season. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Cadet show develops between now and August. I loved the first several minutes of Crown and my next opportunity to see the Bluecoats can't come soon enough. Moreso, I look forward to seeing Phantom, SCV, BD, Academy, the Troopers and everyone else.

Edited by mrk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Bloo - Great visual guard is amazing music is wonderful 

Crown - Second half rewrites needed 

Cavies - Guard got hosed program solid

Cadets - Fallen and can't get up

Blue Stars - Better than scored 

Crossmen - Fee moments 

I heard that Cavies guard got Torched tonight! Sizzle!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

The show is not finished yet and they're working on another visual element to feature the vocalist. Plus they still have a preshow and about a minute to add ok to the end.

Bare in mind I love all of Crown shows since 2006. I have seen other pre-season versions of past shows with the understanding its not a finished product. This has to do more with my preference. I'm ok with the vocalist in the ballad and I know it will be clean and great. It's after that, it's a design challenge to make it more palatable, to me and more importantly the judges. (IMHO of course).

• Like 1

Wow, just heard an on-field version of the show. Try to find it if you can. Bloo sounded like what I heard in Denison on Tuesday. Incredible. Ballad sounded amazing in the dome! Tom Blair's crew forgot to mic the front speakers, so the theater version was completely wrong.

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 2