Opening Night!

11 minutes ago, superOOk said:

Wow, just heard an on-field version of the show. Try to find it if you can. Bloo sounded like what I heard in Denison on Tuesday. Incredible. Ballad sounded amazing in the dome! Tom Blair's crew forgot to mic the front speakers, so the theater version was completely wrong.

Where did you hear the on-field version?

Saw the show in a Sioux Falls theatre that was about 1/3 full, and this was about the 4th different theatre I needed to go find someone to turn the volume up.  Also, why is there on worker hanging around to hit the lights at the end of the show?  Oh well, customer service was good up front, so that was cool....

Anyway, I enjoyed all the shows but did not have a clear favorite or goosebump moment. Overall I smiled the most during the Cavies show, hoping for a larger "Mars" section in the final ending.  I liked the cheesy goofiness of it, and look forward to seeing this one again to look for things I missed the first time.

I loved the first half of Crowns show, thinking that it is a show my dad would love with classic, recognizable music played very very well.  I know lots of folks are knocking the vocal soloist doing "For Good", but I almost cried....love you my Colt Cadets from 2010 that did this!!!  Great memories of great kids and I will love every time I see this over the summer....but...After the ballad I was confused, hoping for some rewrites here.  Just...huh?

Blue Stars look elegant, nice first 2 acts.  I love Moulan Rouge, but it just did not seem to fit here?  I get the theme, but the sound clips were jarring and out of place when compared to the rest of the show, and I am thinking the ending has more in the works.  I will get to see them live in a couple weeks, so we will see how that 2nd veiwing is.

Bluecoats seem to have the swagger I always associated with the blue devils.  Taking the field they just look like a crew that know they are on top-confident, at ease with performing, arrogant maybe...I liked the show, but it does not have the same "wow" as last year...yet..time will tell.  

2% power on tablet and way past bedtime, maybe more tomorrow!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrownBariDad said:

There was a question way back in the thread about the flat poles Crown used on the field.  I didn't see an answer, so here's my $0.02:

i think they are using them to "deconstruct" the field.  From what I saw in the theater, there are two parts to the pole -- white on top and darker (green?) underneath. They lay them on the yard lines so when they move the white portion, it appears the yard line has gone screwy.  Similar to the Cadets making all the yard numbers "10".

Or, not.

It reminds me of what Center Grove did when they won BOA back in the 90's with that brilliant "Journey to the Adventure Zone" show. They had tarps on the field that made the yardlines look like figure 8's and loops.

• Like 2

As promised!  Here's my review.  

I haven't been on the internet since 4pm today and didn't read anything before I posted this.  I'm gonna start digging through this to see what everyone else thought, I had a blast tonight.  Two shows really stood out above the rest for me, but every show had something I liked.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, superOOk said:

Wow, just heard an on-field version of the show. Try to find it if you can. Bloo sounded like what I heard in Denison on Tuesday. Incredible. Ballad sounded amazing in the dome! Tom Blair's crew forgot to mic the front speakers, so the theater version was completely wrong.

Can you give us a hint? I'm usually good at finding these things, but I'm having no luck.

I was at a theater in Denver  tonight. It was 3/4 full. Many HS kids, instructors, and and even senior citizens in the audience. All appeared very excited to attend DATR in July. Good vibe in that room tonight. Lots of applause for the corps. 

Anyhow, some thoughts on the evening. 

Crossmen- Never really grasped how the props fit into the show. But that will come as the season progresses. I see some sort of cloth or other curtain being placed over the "1996 BD esque" jail- bar looking prop. Brass has a mature sound I like. First hit of the show is great. Percussion is what I always identify Xmen as, and it seems to be there. Groove is there too.  The music is something of an acquired taste for me. I was humming the 1985 BD played tune for the closer. But that is the only piece I felt a connection too. Overall, I feel I have to watch it again to get a good read. 

Blue Stars- I was listening for the particular tunes noted in the reportoie. Ssdly, I could only vaguely recognize them when I listened.  It's not that I don't like the arrangements, but some of them seem to short to me or overarranged. That said, it would be my only complaint. Brass-  it is not the sound that hurts those arrangements. Blue Stars have a wonderful sound. In their ballad especially. It seems Lady Marmalade, took a minute for the corps ( and me) to find the groove. The recorded lyrics, once I heard them and grasped it- did overlay pretty well with the brass accompaniment. Drill- as usual, very nice. I find Blue Stars visual/ drill since 08 to rank high on my yearly list. Guard is always good under Shapiro's direction with those tosses- and they have another stellar one this year. Looking forward, like many, to see where this one goes.  It won't make my " CD in the car", but when you add all the elements together- visual, theme, etc.- it will be a good one to watch. 

Cadets- Tnis is a long review of this corps because I will admit, it's my favorite show of the night. I think so because their presented concept of Mass is unique, emotional, and powerful. It might get some "1995 esque" changes by August. But I trust it will be all for the better.  Regarding changes-  First, I appreciate the opener, and really hope that DOES NOT change.  Simple Song was great. So subtle, and evokes emotion to me. In an era where so many corps do a chord and extended whole note for an opening hit - it is so subtle and refreshing to see you doing it differently this year.  Would I like their Simple Somg trumpet solo on a French Horn like the past? Actually, I liked it as is. As the show progresses, and we get to hear the choir and the references to the Mass- I do see where they fit. I think its necessary and poignant to have those in the show.  Music- I kept thinking of 1990 in recognizing much of what I was hearing. You realize you are now "old",  when you see and hear how powerfully and differently they are  presenting the pieces. What I thought was hard and technically brilliant with the meter changes, Crazy 8, and drill of 1990,  is now technically brilliant with voice, electronics and demanding drill in 2017.

Admittedly, yes, I think there are hot mess moments. The pews and praying section needs some work. I also think that the jazz and swing interpretation needs some greater build up or better segway. Either that,  or it needs taken out altogether. I have been a fan for over 20 years. Upon first time viewings of some shows, I see that one show every year where I  know I am looking at a champion or game changer. This includes  Phanton 08 in San Diego. They got beat by Vanguard that night. But that show, even in its June form, grabbed me. I had something. I have that same feeling about Cadets.  

Crown- They leave so many questions for me tonight., (and  I am afraid to ask). I am afraid to ask because I know the show is going to show me all the answers to my questions, in time . I want the poles on the field to mean something. I don't get why the program coordinator keeps saying the show is about "deconstructing". I want to ask, "what are you building with the poles on the field? Building not just with the poles, but building musically and themstically too? I am not asking Crown to tell a story, because their horns and the way they play can just be the story to me. But, it would be good to give us a hint before July as to where this is going. Musically- Steve Rondinaro nailed it -"Two thirds of the show Ill take". If I hadn't listened to No One to Know One before this show, I would have no idea what's happening in that part. (That piece does sound great, otherwise- so much potential). The Wicked Ballad- Reminds me of 07 Cadets in how the "sans voice" recording is coveted by many. That said, I have to agree with many about the singer. I would rather the singing/human voice be put on a flugel horn or French Horn. However, if you do find it necessary for voice/singing, bring the singer back for No One to Know One because the piece calls for it. Overall, I want this show to click for me. Its just a first viewing. So I am hopeful. 

Cavies- Wins the " early season best conveyed theme" award of the night. Not much to say here. The theme and overall presence, plus the ability to not take themselves to seriously - digging it. In fact, it would have been my favorite show of the night, had Cadets not been in the lineup. My only complaint would be that at this point in the season, the closer doesn't seem to gel the way I had hoped. Mars and My Way have so much igoing on during the segments, that it was hard to distinguish how they fit together.  I will need to watch this on Flomarching again to get it. Note on props- I think there will be a cover over the jungle Jim looking prop they crawl,out from under in the beginning of the show. If that happens, good. I was trying to think how a rainbow colored jungle gym prop Is supposed to resemble man crawling out of a cave.  

Bluecoats- "They are who we thought they were". And this year is following the trend. Uniform wise, I do believe a top is coming. Wearing t- shirts  tonight is not what I am expecting their uniform to be throughout the season. 

Musically- Thought they were the most confident group of the night. They had a grasp and a salesmanship on what they were playing like no other corps. Soloists are kicking butt. Their opener. while fresh and different, does somewhat lack the groove I enjoyed the last two years. But as the season develops, I will probably be whistling it by mid July.  It needs some time to grow on me. A question for the ballad- why does the corps play backfield on a mic to amplify what they could play forward? Maybe I will get it later. The jury is still out. The Zappa piece as the closer- nailed it. Love it. This one is not quite there in my great category. But I will give it room to grow on me. I will see it live at DATR. And I hope by that time, this corps is  "en fuego" in the form of a Madison of the 90's  type hype feel. I want that feeling to be evident in the crowd with me that night as we are all screaming Blooo.  

Onward to the Stanford show on Sunday. Greatly looking forward to,SCV, and what they brin. Blue Knights as well. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 2

Reading through this is super interesting.  FINALLY got done.  

• Totally expected the Down Side Up 2.0 comments.......yes it's in the same vein but I think this show is A LOT more straight forward musically than last years and not as staged.  I think the expectation of what they did last year probably took the edge off what we saw/heard.  I'm not sure if I agree with all the Blue Devils are gonna run away with it comments but we shall see.  I look to Carolina Crown 2013 - 2016 and Blue Devils 2014 - 2016 and think hmm......those shows obviously followed a formula too that was SUPER similar year to year but that's because they did what worked for them.  That's what Bluecoats are doing IMO.  They have  a style and approach that has worked for them and they're not gonna fix what's broken.  
  • Lots of mixed reactions on Carolina Crown.  I'm finding I'm more on the negative side of things but not because of the singer honestly.  I dunno.  Maybe just not for me.  
  • Seems like a pretty positive overall consensus on The Cavaliers and I'm on the super positive side of that.  I understand some reactions to parts of the show being a big interesting but IMO they have a pretty strong product out the gate and their best corps in June since 2011.  
  • Cadets got a much more positive reception than I anticipated which is nice!  Maybe just not my personal cup of tea like Carolina Crown right now.  SUPER literal.  
  • Agree with Blue Stars comments, back 3rd of the show needs some serious work and enhancing which IMO seems pretty obvious will happen.  
  • Crossmen left me super cold on the design front, seems I'm in the minority on that one.  Agree it's a great corps though.  
  • Like 2

My thoughts:

Crossmen: I loved the show and thought they were well prepared but I did notice some jitters. Visually the show needs more, but I'm sure more is coming.

Blue Stars: I got the Romeo and Juliet and Moulan Rouge, but not Gatsby. Still, a great show. 

Cadets: like others, I was surprised the show was as good as it was, but....I am super picky about religious themed shows, books, movies, etc. The symbols need to match the theme, the fervor has to come across as real, and it cannot be stereotyped. I could go on for pages if I had to, but I won't. Bernstein did not intend "Mass" to be a Catholic Mass in the way Beethoven or Haydn did with their Mass settings or Verdi or Mozart did with their Requium settings. He borrowed the formula but also wanted a Jewish themed arguing with a God about the current state of affairs aspect as well. Bernstein himself criticized a staging of "Mass" which was too Catholic, and this in my opinion was "too Catholic" (I know, a bit contradictory for those of you who know what I do for a living) but not in a good way. The overly looking pious faces of the choir, the bombastic doomsday "Let us pray," the Sign of the Cross done incorrectly, the Creed coming across as a desperate plea, the praying by the pews, and did anyone who designed the uniforms realize they used an ankh, an Egyptian mythological symbol, not a cross, and if it was intentional, why?  As I said, I could go on. It does have potential, it is ambitious, but I found it to be a confusing mess. My advice, focus on the music, tone down on the religious imagery.

Cavaliers: I found the show similar to last year in style, and like last year, I believe the show will grow. Lots of classic Cavies moves. I expected them to be second.

Crown: musically I think the show is strong from beginning to ballad, after needs a lot of work and the vocals after the ballad do not work for me. The guard is missing much of its style, a style no doubt we'll see with Boston Crusaders.

Bluecoats: easily the most ready for competition. I love the show. The uniforms may be too bland and look too much like they are wearing white pants and t-shirts. Could potentially win the title, though we still need to see what BD and SCV bring to the table.

• Like 3

My impressions are already captured well by a lot of posters. I'll add just a few points:

• Live in LOS, the Cadets' choir was distracting. Mass music is one thing, having folks shout Catholic mass references at me was a turnoff.
  • Not a vocals fan. I thought it brought down the energy in the Crown's show (and in LOS). Why, why, why, can't a talented horn or few take over that ballad?
  • The Cadets monk-like robes looked great. I would rather they have kept them on.
  • Some posts here imply an issue regarding a judge and cavies guard? I don't know about that. But they (guard) looked like a 1 or 2 for the night. Tough stuff - and often tightly inside the rest of the corps.
  • For years, I have been meh about the props, but happily tolerant that this works for so many other fans. It's getting obnoxious now, however. So much effort (and expense) into things that just don't add value to the shows. Good grief, the operational complexity alone - It's practically another show getting onto and off the field - is worth reconsidering what's going on.
  • Overall, 2016 Tour Premier was more entertaining.

One more: Last minute, two Bluecoats staff members jumped in empty seats behind us. One of them had a piercing, wail of a shout of excitement. She both wailed and pierced frequently, and I wondered if the Coats plan to use her as an awkward vocal later in the season. Plus, they had to comment on everything they saw and heard.

Thanks, Coats, for diminishing the show on the field for me and my parents. It's just one data point, but still left a bad impression (a bit of arrogance?) of the Bluecoats organization. Oh, I'll overcome that, and yes, I know it doesn't reflect the kids and rest of the staff and volunteers, etc.. Still, why do this?

• Like 2