Opening Night!

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Not too sure about this year being better than last year. A lot of the shows this year seem over-designed and have very poor implementation of voice. 

2015 was the year corps did singing/narration well. This year? Ugh

It's June so fortunately there's time to go back and remove things 

6 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Unleash the Devils. #18. 

I told some friends last night - if BD and SCV saw the broadcast last night, they couldn't be happier. 

And while I think Regiment is going to struggle performance-wise (show is pretty difficult, it sounds), last night should give them some hope.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrumManTx said:
  • Crossmen left me super cold on the design front, seems I'm in the minority on that one.  Agree it's a great corps though.  

Couldn't agree more on this. 

When I was watching their show, I remembered back to the Cesario thread and how he encouraged corps to have an (entertaining) identity. I think Xmen are a corps that either didn't heed the message about a need for an identity or I just don't care for the identity they've chosen the last couple years. 

Am I the only one that is concerned with marcher safety when those Bluecoats heavily sloped props get wet in the inevitable summer showers in outdoor shows , not completely dried, and Bluecoats performers have to run pell mell down the sloped runways, one right after the other ? Last nite there was a bad fall by a snare drummer, and the show was indoors. Imagine trying to dry these off after it rains as the performers line up in outdoor shows this summer.Oh well, maybe its just me thinking ahead, and it'll be a non issue. Hope my safety concern on this turns out to be way overblown. Everybody keep their fingers crossed though. Otherwise, what an outstanding musical and visual beast of a show the Bluecoats have once again this season, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Am I the only one that is concerned with marcher safety when those Bluecoats heavily sloped props get wet in the inevitable summer showers in outdoor shows , not completely dried, and Bluecoats performers have to run pell mell down the sloped runways, one right after the other ? Last nite there was a bad fall by a snare drummer, and the show was indoors. Imagine trying to dry these off after it rains as the performers line up in outdoor shows this summer. Everybody keep their fingers crossed. Otherwise, what an outstanding musical and visual beast of a show the Bluecoats have once again this season, imo

Nope. I had that thought right after the opening hit with all the mid and upper brass running down the front stairs. And that was before the snare fell. Could get ugly but I sure hope not!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

One more: Last minute, two Bluecoats staff members jumped in empty seats behind us. One of them had a piercing, wail of a shout of excitement. She both wailed and pierced frequently, and I wondered if the Coats plan to use her as an awkward vocal later in the season. Plus, they had to comment on everything they saw and heard.

Thanks, Coats, for diminishing the show on the field for me and my parents. It's just one data point, but still left a bad impression (a bit of arrogance?) of the Bluecoats organization. Oh, I'll overcome that, and yes, I know it doesn't reflect the kids and rest of the staff and volunteers, etc.. Still, why do this?

Very sorry to hear this. This would not have been approved by their admins I can promise you that. Enjoy the season. 

• Like 3

Just saw the Bluecoats show. Wow. Just wow. I enjoyed all of the corps. Good stuff. But Bluecoats.......WOW. Just wow. Point me to the Souvie Stand please.....

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolCorps said:

Just saw the Bluecoats show. Wow. Just wow. I enjoyed all of the corps. Good stuff. But Bluecoats.......WOW. Just wow. Point me to the Souvie Stand please.....

There's a lesson to be learned here:  Old school drum corps is still relevant in 2017.  You can do it up modern and still keep it traditional.

• Like 4

Just now, OldSchoolCorps said:

And that is from someone with the name "OldSchoolCorps"

It just goes to show that you don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Innovation in an audience anchored activity, while it MUST be different... SHOULD be fun and SHOULDN'T be awkward.

• Like 5