Opening Night!

On the Bluecoats...

Has anyone seen "Joe Vs. The Volcano"?

I can't be the first to have thought about that...

I'm wanting to hear "16 Tons" in there somewhere.

Crossmen were prepared. I don't get the concept; the music is long out of my head, but as an annual bubble corps, it's hard to say they'll drop out of the 12.

Blue Stars can PLAY! Tubas & Mellophones are BOSS! The feet and drill are very suspect at this point. The guard's overwriting is as wonderful as Crown's was last decade. They'll get it:)

Cadets have no tradition anymore, and it's sad. Like Celebrity Death sad. Costuming? Vanguard did it in 1986. Velocity? Sacktig just wrote another Cadets drill -- for CC. Comparison points to every other corps? <cricket cricket> Top 6? Uh, don't bet your last $5. To end positively, the guard will be better this year. I didn't say YIKES like last June.

Cavies: I loathed every second of last year's obnoxious cacophony; I like this year less.

Rondinaro: "I am absolutely in love with the first 2/3 of (CC's) show." Ditto. The vocalist does nothing but take away from more gorgeous, luscious, tasty horn playing. 

I've been running around telling my DC friends about Bloo's penchant for fluking. Really, every year they've medaled, they dropped the next year (until '16). I was wrong, wrong, wrong! This is an easy #1 or #2 show. Holy wow! Like Rondo said, they "successfully reloaded."

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Very sorry to hear this. This would not have been approved by their admins I can promise you that. Enjoy the season. 

While they had DCI and Bluecoats ID tags on them, for all I know they might even have been volunteers sitting down to see the show. I shouldn't have been so assuming. And my post is harsher than I had imagined. The Coats' show was very good. Surely they are as much in the running to repeat as anyone has been.

At finals night last year, an Academy seat-jumping mother kept her iPhone held high recording everything. Even when asked by the guy behind me to put it down, she refused. A few others got angry. She remained adamant. It blocked much of the show for me, and I just sat there passively.

Hated to start 2017 with more of this. I'll get over it.

• Like 1

Just now, mjoakes said:

While they had DCI and Bluecoats ID tags on them, for all I know they might even have been volunteers sitting down to see the show. I shouldn't have been so assuming. And my post is harsher than I had imagined. The Coats' show was very good. Surely they are as much in the running to repeat as anyone has been.

At finals night last year, an Academy seat-jumping mother kept her iPhone held high recording everything. Even when asked by the guy behind me to put it down, she refused. A few others got angry. She remained adamant. It blocked much of the show for me, and I just sat there passively.

Hated to start 2017 with more of this. I'll get over it.

I don't think you are too harsh... that is very good criticism to be aware of.  I hope it gets passed on and at least mentioned.

It's a simple matter of Glasgow telling everyone... "Give the audience the chance to love our kids and our show.  Nobody likes being told by some parent how wonderful their children are.  Please have good 'table manners' in the stands."

The Bluecoats are and should be a classy organization in every way.  I do hope that someone with some leverage sees your comment.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Tad_MMA said:

Cavies: I loathed every second of last year's obnoxious cacophony; I like this year less.

Agreed. I find nothing about the presentation appealing visually or musically. They have totally lost their trademarks. I always marveled at the surgical placement of their feet and the spectacular pattern drills which popped due to their white hats. Now they are just a cacophonous black glop. Very poor choices being made here in my opinion .

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Am I the only one that is concerned with marcher safety when those Bluecoats heavily sloped props get wet in the inevitable summer showers in outdoor shows , not completely dried, and Bluecoats performers have to run pell mell down the sloped runways, one right after the other ? Last nite there was a bad fall by a snare drummer, and the show was indoors. Imagine trying to dry these off after it rains as the performers line up in outdoor shows this summer.Oh well, maybe its just me thinking ahead, and it'll be a non issue. Hope my safety concern on this turns out to be way overblown. Everybody keep their fingers crossed though. Otherwise, what an outstanding musical and visual beast of a show the Bluecoats have once again this season, imo

It rained on them right before they came down the ramp.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

And that is from someone with the name "OldSchoolCorps"

It just goes to show that you don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water.  Innovation in an audience anchored activity, while it MUST be different... SHOULD be fun and SHOULDN'T be awkward.

I am definitely unapologetically "old school"! This Bluecoats show........GOOD LORD!!!!! WOW!!!!! Give me MORE!!!!!

• Like 3

Seriously...?

Has NOBODY seen "Joe Vs. The Volcano"??!!

It's staring you right in the face in the Bluecoats show.

Just now, OldSchoolCorps said:

I am definitely unapologetically "old school"! This Bluecoats show........GOOD LORD!!!!! WOW!!!!! Give me MORE!!!!!

Close your eyes and you feel like you are in the 80's... Open your eyes and you simply know what is going on... it's not confusing.

• Like 5