Opening Night!

11 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

In all fairness, your perspective comes on the basis of having "seen enough full VIDEOS..." in order to draw a conclusion about how the shows are received "from any single stadium seat, live and IN PERSON".

I'm not disagreeing with you on the crazy omnidirectional box breaking... just on the 'doom and gloom' sort of slant that you seem to be giving it.

NOT doom and gloom at all!  Sorry, if that was your read.

I happen to be primarily an on-screen fan these days.  I get far more satisfaction from today's programming than actually being there. Being there, thousands of times, back when programming was much less sophisticated. I'm a dino, and this is all moving in MY direction. No serious reservations from me!

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, derek005 said:

Cadets: I thought it was the worst show of the night. The staging (except the last two minutes) was horrible throughout the show and the electronics were to loud. Drum score should have been higher. There was WAY to much signing! Those uniforms just did not do it for me and most of the audience at the theatre.

No longer innovative. Became a follower instead of a leader with respect to show design and programming. The entire production reeks of desperation. Hated it. 

• Like 4

Just now, Poppycock said:

No longer innovative. Became a follower instead of a leader with respect to show design and programming. The entire production reeks of desperation. Hated it. 

I want to like this comment so badly.  I think it is right.  I love the Cadets and their history... but there just seems to be desperation there.  It's like somebody that is rambling on and on because they are convinced that nobody understands what they are saying, when in reality, everybody got it the first time and they just want them to shut up.

At the same time... the leadership may be true believers of what they are doing and ways that they seem to be trying to follow with their own flare..  And that is fine, but it won't connect with the audience like so many of the straight forward presentations that are leading them.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Wasn't a big fan of the show last night, but didn't hate it.

More: I really like Poppycock's consistent, right-to-it directness. Thanks.

• Like 1

First theater I went to was pretty empty. So empty that they told me that they weren't showing it (even though it was on fathom website as a location).  Hauled add over to the next city and made it just in time for Crossmen. Quick thoughts

Crossmen - good music book but think design wise it's more of how do we move the props more than how do we use them  effectively.   Reminds me of the trunks from Glassmen 2008 just moving then for the sake of moving them. 

Blue Stars - I don't really want to write a review because I'm biased. Clean the hard drill 

Cadets - I don't need the preaching to get it's a bible show. Only uniform I don't like is the 3rd and would be sold if they kept the second ones as a full uniform. 

Cavies - don't like the show. Sane formula as propaganda and hits over 9000 on the cheese scale. Members do sell it though. 

Crown - was my favorite of the night. Don't care if it doesn't make sense to you because not making sense means it made sense. You will go to describe it by saying it is which in theory you got it. Beautiful singer and figure the closer is the placeholder so the somewhat awkward singing in spit will change. 

Bluecoats - hate the uniform. Someone said out loud that it looks like they got it from a dollar store. Copy pasta of last years design that worked for them.  Nothing really shows the jagged line besides the prop.   Best part of the show is the battery. 

Overall we had 6 people in our party that were in a meh overall on shows. Nothing really stood out as amazing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

First theater I went to was pretty empty. So empty that they told me that they weren't showing it (even though it was on fathom website as a location).  Hauled add over to the next city and made it just in time for Crossmen. Quick thoughts

Crossmen - good music book but think design wise it's more of how do we move the props more than how do we use them  effectively.   Reminds me of the trunks from Glassmen 2008 just moving then for the sake of moving them. 

Blue Stars - I don't really want to write a review because I'm biased. Clean the hard drill 

Cadets - I don't need the preaching to get it's a bible show. Only uniform I don't like is the 3rd and would be sold if they kept the second ones as a full uniform. 

Cavies - don't like the show. Sane formula as propaganda and hits over 9000 on the cheese scale. Members do sell it though. 

Crown - was my favorite of the night. Don't care if it doesn't make sense to you because not making sense means it made sense. You will go to describe it by saying it is which in theory you got it. Beautiful singer and figure the closer is the placeholder so the somewhat awkward singing in spit will change. 

Bluecoats - hate the uniform. Someone said out loud that it looks like they got it from a dollar store. Copy pasta of last years design that worked for them.  Nothing really shows the jagged line besides the prop.   Best part of the show is the battery. 

Overall we had 6 people in our party that were in a meh overall on shows. Nothing really stood out as amazing. 

Thanks for that uplifting bright commentary. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Did not attend the theater broadcast. But, have seen enough full videos to believe 2017 will be a "watershed" moment for drum corps.  This year, we are seeing more program elements that, frankly, work much better ON SCREEN than from any single stadium seat, live and IN PERSON. Quite a challenge to find common ground that works equally well for both audiences.

No longer just one or two groups going outside the box. It's the box being destroyed.

Good points, Fred. I would add that I think for several years now the shows are being designed for domed stadiums to augment the amps reverberation. That is why I prefer open air shows which reduce the electronic goo even if I sense that is not the optimal acoustical setting anymore☹️.

13 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Cavies - don't like the show. Sane formula as propaganda and hits over 9000 on the cheese scale.

I wonder how many people realize that "hitting 9000 on the cheese scale" is entirely the point of the production.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I want to like this comment so badly.  I think it is right.  I love the Cadets and their history... but there just seems to be desperation there.  It's like somebody that is rambling on and on because they are convinced that nobody understands what they are saying, when in reality, everybody got it the first time and they just want them to shut up.

At the same time... the leadership may be true believers of what they are doing and ways that they seem to be trying to follow with their own flare..  And that is fine, but it won't connect with the audience like so many of the straight forward presentations that are leading them.

Honestly, with exception of Bloo who's reinvented themselves a few years back, what out there is so innovative? Cavies are coming back but with a gaudy vulgaresque feel (like scratching nails on a board with high powers electronics blasting as you do it, cheese galore with testosterone), Crown part 1 looks like every Crown show since 2008 and then there's that part 2. Haven't seen Cali corps but last night hardly was a showcase of innovation.  I feel Cadets show has demand, expansive visual, a great guard and bravo doing 3 uni changes in 11 min along with a demanding show and an 8 person choir. Maybe you should rethink the innovation card a bit.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2