Opening Night!

If Crown really wants to help that singer deliver her piece, they should teach her how to play it on a trombone.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Just one last comment before I hit the hay.

No one whines when a trumpet soloist is a little off on the high note or hits the higher partial. But a vocalist misses a few and she is 'pitchy.'

Ummm...pitchy was being polite. I don't want to rag on the girl, but your comment would be more appropriate if compared to a trumpetsoloist who blows his entire solo, IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, flammaster said:

how was bloo closer?

been waiting 30 years for another corps to do Zappa.

It's FUN. It was one of my favorite moments of the night 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Ummm...pitchy was being polite. I don't want to rag on the girl, but your comment would be more appropriate if compared to a trumpetsoloist who blows his entire solo, IMO.

Also, a trumpet belongs on the field and a singer doesn't.

• Like 2

Just now, BigBadMadMan said:

It just isn't idiomatic.  I don't think that there is a manner in which that could be performed such that it would sound compatible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

It just isn't idiomatic.  I don't think that there is a manner in which that could be performed such that it would sound compatible.

Sure there is.  Have her lip synch while a brass instrument plays the solo.  

• Like 7

The Bluecoats have cooked up another exciting show, Psychopomp is incredible and may go down as one of the best openers in DCI history. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Sorry no fluff pieces here :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:  Heard so much hype about amazing shows and then you see them and it doesn't deliver. It's early and most groups just got the show all on the field and yet to develop so it can change in a week. Kind of left the theater thinking nothing was really sticking in my head besides Crown ballad (which we listened to the original in the car).  I am a horn player that did 5 years of WGI and teach a bunch of groups and to be honest those shows draw you in more now . 

The tendency is we come into a new season with the previous season's August performance levels in our heads and forget these groups literally put all of these shows together in the past 4 weeks. Performance takes a back seat to hitting your dot etc.  Good thing is these corps are all super talented so within the next week you'll see some great improvement in clarity/design and then we can ##### about those things!