Opening Night!

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Am I the only one that is concerned with marcher safety when those Bluecoats heavily sloped props get wet in the inevitable summer showers in outdoor shows , not completely dried, and Bluecoats performers have to run pell mell down the sloped runways, one right after the other ? Last nite there was a bad fall by a snare drummer, and the show was indoors. Imagine trying to dry these off after it rains as the performers line up in outdoor shows this summer.Oh well, maybe its just me thinking ahead, and it'll be a non issue. Hope my safety concern on this turns out to be way overblown. Everybody keep their fingers crossed though. Otherwise, what an outstanding musical and visual beast of a show the Bluecoats have once again this season, imo

Oh, I think that thing is a death trap and a lawsuit waiting to happen. Just risky and irresponsible of the staff, IMO. At least with the ramps, a fall would be broken by the gradual slope. One misstep here could have some very serious consequences.

54 minutes ago, flammaster said:

how was bloo closer?

been waiting 30 years for another corps to do Zappa.

Faithful to Zappa. You'll like. BTW - it is not quite the closer.

• Like 3

So since Carolina Crown has an abstract show bashed that it makes no sense, the Bluecoats have just as much of an abstract show but it's adored by many. How does their musical selections portray a "Jagged Line"? I don't listen to it and think "wow, this really fits the show theme, it all makes sense" just like I don't feel that way with Crown either. Both are supper abstract but because the Bluecoats have a line prop it's suddenly crystal clear? I just don't understand how one is too confusing and weird, but the other is an artistic masterpiece.

• Like 1

Watched in the theatre. Just a few comments.

Crossmen: Props seemed like someone thought "everyone else is using props so we will too." They didn't add to the show except for guard equipment storage. Good music, but as others have said it is visually a mess. Could easily be challenged by Madison/Troop/Colts.

Blue Stars: Good show and music. I thought the theme came across better this year. Great brass sound; think they could handle more than given to do.

Cadets: Not sure. Trying to hard? Seemed overdone to me. I don't like the last uniform; it doesn't make sense and looks like a onesie. Keep the coats on!!!

Cavaliers: Field looked cluttered with too much stuff. Great guard. Was VERY disappointed in the Mars arrangement.

Crown: Great brass; and high performance level by the entire corps. Liked the first half of the show but not the second half. They lost me; didn't get the theme. Lose the singer. Liked that they had minimal props.

Bluecoats: A prime example of "less is more." Black and white with some nice color from the silks. Nice clean look and enjoyable music.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, I don't get the connection of the theme and music for either crown or bluecoats, but I don't fault the corps for that. It's more because I'm not familiar enough with the shows yet. As I see each more I imagine the connection will become more clear. And if it doesn't, I  think they are still a lot of fun to watch and listen to.   I certainly have the things I'd like to see changed in each one, but whether those things get changed or not (probably not) I'm still excited to see how these shows develop. 

Edited by sadtrombonesound
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

So since Carolina Crown has an abstract show bashed that it makes no sense, the Bluecoats have just as much of an abstract show but it's adored by many. How does their musical selections portray a "Jagged Line"? I don't listen to it and think "wow, this really fits the show theme, it all makes sense" just like I don't feel that way with Crown either. Both are supper abstract but because the Bluecoats have a line prop it's suddenly crystal clear? I just don't understand how one is too confusing and weird, but the other is an artistic masterpiece.

Look at the show description for Bluecoats, it actually makes perfect sense. 

Mind you, Crown's show makes sense too, but poorly implemented in my opinion

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

everyone seems to love Crown for 2/3rds of the show, until the vocals take over. its not as much a direct result of the concept. 

Bloo has been doing rather edgy or abstract shows for a while now. Tilt, Kinetic Noise, Down Side Up, and now Jagged Line. Perhaps their concept has gotten progressively more abstract (tilt wasn't abstract but it was very conceptual). But you get the point, people are expecting this kind of show from Bloo. They've medaled each year they've done this. 

Crown has not, however. They were very "intellectual" with For the Common Good, E=MC2, Out of this world, and Inferno. Relentless was a solid show that told a story. It Is is...different. We don't expect this show from Crown, maybe BD. It is abrupt because Crown medaled 4 times over the last 5 seasons. They didn't need to reinvent themselves. But they did, they want to stay at the forefront of the activity. 

Edited by Cleveland1
  • Like 1

This was BLOO's first full run through in uniforms.

1 minute ago, superOOk said:

This was BLOO's first full run through in uniforms.

That's impressive and scary as hell. I hope they'll get the safety of the ramps worked out in the next couple weeks

• Like 1