Opening Night!

Great job by everyone

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

That's impressive and scary as hell. I hope they'll get the safety of the ramps worked out in the next couple weeks

Quite agree. When I saw the snare go down, all I could think of was the Tilt ramps. First impression was that a lot of the drill revolved around that ramp on the front of the "jagged line", so if it does become an issue (and I hope it doesn't) it may be hard to make those changes quickly. But I am not an expert at all

Edited by sadtrombonesound

38 minutes ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

So since Carolina Crown has an abstract show bashed that it makes no sense, the Bluecoats have just as much of an abstract show but it's adored by many. How does their musical selections portray a "Jagged Line"? I don't listen to it and think "wow, this really fits the show theme, it all makes sense" just like I don't feel that way with Crown either. Both are supper abstract but because the Bluecoats have a line prop it's suddenly crystal clear? I just don't understand how one is too confusing and weird, but the other is an artistic masterpiece.

The mysteries of the judging system. Tough when you find yourself on the wrong side of the table. As for your specific inquiry, I think it's because Crown is so structured in the first half and then it kind of goes into a weird tangent whereas as Bloo, you're entering the zone for the entire show. Look, props, costuming etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Also, a trumpet belongs on the field and a singer doesn't.

Who said so? Is there a book with these rules for all of us to read?  Hey, everyone can have their say, and I get that most do not like vocals on the field, but there are no rules that state only brass and percussion can be on the field.  Singers belong where ever we decide to try them.  Same for brass, percussion, strings, mallets, synths, guitars, you name it.  If you don't like them fine, but don't throw out these idiotic rules or stereotypes.  I've been a professional musician all my life and what I saw from Carolina Crown was no different than what many other professional music ensembles do -- they featured a singer. It could be an orchestra, jazz ensemble, brass band, wind ensemble, large concert band, rock band, heavy metal group, you name it -- but they all feature singers here and there.  Ah...but for some reason this is blasphemy in drum corps. God forbid we hear something other than brass and drums. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tobias said:

The mysteries of the judging system. Tough when you find yourself on the wrong side of the table. As for your specific inquiry, I think it's because Crown is so structured in the first half and then it kind of goes into a weird tangent whereas as Bloo, you're entering the zone for the entire show. Look, props, costuming etc.

Crown  everything is base around their horn line. 

That makes more sense. It just seems so one sided towards one than the other. Props to Crown for going outside the box, just don't know if it was the right way of doing it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

That's impressive and scary as hell. I hope they'll get the safety of the ramps worked out in the next couple weeks

When the contras came down towards the end (ekks)

Just a few thoughts:

I enjoyed last year's Crossmen, more than this offering. It seemed to have stronger clarity. There is a lot of visual fuzz with those props and the uniforms both being black. I assume the guard will eventually wear something more colorful, but the props could use some solid color, even if just on the frames. It's not a bad effort, but I'm not sure it takes it to the next level as much as they would like

Blue Stars had maybe one too many Star Crosseds, as it seemed to lose steam after Gatsby. I like how they brought back the laying down and playing moment from last year. Lots of potential here, but needs some editing.

Cadets strike me as having an old-school show. But not an old-school Cadets show, the best and most successful of which tended to be more minimalist, providing beautiful moments from simple presentations. This one is more like a period SCV show (think 1987), with an attempt at creating a very literal interpretation of an idea or production from outside of drum corps - in this case the original performance of Mass. Present is the abundence of costumes, very literal, non-abstracted props, and the overall "big show." It's certainly one approach that could be taken, but it doesn't feel as much an original thought as Cavaliers or Bluecoats, who have clearly created their own imaginative worlds, and then filled those worlds with imagery that fleshes them out. I would more consider it an adaptation. It's a better offering than what they had last year, for sure, and like that one the music is again the best part. We'll see how it grows with edits/additions. Guard is improved. The super-churchy imagery may keep some at arm's length.

Cavaliers - now THIS is definitely a world of their own creation! Personally, I loved it and thought it was a hoot. It needs to be turned down a few notches in numerous areas, but they have an extremely interesting framework. The costumes and colors are first rate, and the geodesic dome jungle gym things were great. I like that they can so easily laugh at themselves (like in Machine from 2006), and it really brings in the audience. It's sure to be a huge hit with the kids. Am interested to see how they refine the electronics. It's too busy right now, but I feel it will get a lot stronger over the next few months. The guard is WAY better than last year. 

Crown - As most have said, up to the ballad, great. Then the momentum is killed and the last number suffers with trying to build it up again. The singer works fine at the beginning and end of the ballad. It sounds like a huge fight between her and the horns in the center loud part, so I really, really hope they axe that part and just let the musicians play. The right combination of the two elements will be quite moving. Once they find the right transition into and energy level for the last song, I think that will sell. The overall color palette is kind of weird. The corps uniforms look great, but, and this is a big but, they wipe out drill clarity from the front. That gray fade on the pants creates total fuzz on the lower half between performers. Every time they turned to the back, BAM the drill showed up because the back of the pants are solid. Then to the front again and it blurs. It's diluting the effect of the forms. I dig the clear hats and Jetsons singer skirt. An original thought here, no matter how you interpret it. 

Bluecoats: Another really strong offering. Again, here is an original thought, based on a unique vision. They've created a world with certain rules and parameters, and then the flesh it out within the boundaries. It's awfully had to capture the lightning in a bottle like 2016, because that was out of nowhere and a shock, but this is a good follow up. Entrances and exits are featured again. The stationary prop is more limiting than the moveable slides, and I kept expecting them to bring a color or costume change or something out when they ran through it, but that may be coming later. The steepness of the front ramp scares me a bit, and makes my knees hurt when they come charging down it at top speed. The one snare took a tumble and I hope nothing more serious happens during the course of the season. This is definitely going to be in a slugfest with BD and possibly SCV.

Edited by NakedEye
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Ask siri where singers belong

Well, I'm an Android guy right now, but I can only imagine. Frankly, if you asked most of my music major friends (back when I was in college) where singers belong it would be something you could not repeat to your teachers. :)

• Like 1