Opening Night!

11 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

God forbid we hear something other than brass and drums. 

If only it were that easy. I would try praying, but I'm sure that God doesn't care about drum corps enough to fulfill my request.

Just now, BigBadMadMan said:

If only it were that easy. I would try praying, but I'm sure that God doesn't care about drum corps enough to fulfill my request.

You want to go back to 70s/80s style instrumentation? Yes? Nothing wrong with that. I remember those days fondly. Loved it for that time. 

I find shows like Phantom 2010 to be the perfect balance of modern and old. I prefer the current instrumentation but want the vocals out forever 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

You want to go back to 70s/80s style instrumentation? Yes? Nothing wrong with that. I remember those days fondly. Loved it for that time. 

No, I want to go back to non-amplified acoustic performances...effectively eliminating voiceovers and vocalists.

24 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Ask siri where singers belong

She directed me to the nearest liquor store. :guinesssmilie:

1 hour ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

So since Carolina Crown has an abstract show bashed that it makes no sense, the Bluecoats have just as much of an abstract show but it's adored by many. How does their musical selections portray a "Jagged Line"? I don't listen to it and think "wow, this really fits the show theme, it all makes sense" just like I don't feel that way with Crown either. Both are supper abstract but because the Bluecoats have a line prop it's suddenly crystal clear? I just don't understand how one is too confusing and weird, but the other is an artistic masterpiece.

I have a little different take on it... 

My interpretation of the Bluecoats design philosophy since 2013: let's use a design gimmick to drive the visual while playing some kick-### stuff that audience and members will love. Their repertoire (or, as Rondo would say, rep-eh-twah) could fit in with a lot of different show titles and visual themes. So in this sense, it's abstract.

Crown's show is a different kind of abstract. It's about evolution of some sort, therefore there's a change musically from structure to lack thereof (with a broadway tune in between?). Evolution toward what, I'm not sure. But it's abstract in a different way.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Who said so? Is there a book with these rules for all of us to read?  Hey, everyone can have their say, and I get that most do not like vocals on the field, but there are no rules that state only brass and percussion can be on the field.  Singers belong where ever we decide to try them.  Same for brass, percussion, strings, mallets, synths, guitars, you name it.  If you don't like them fine, but don't throw out these idiotic rules or stereotypes.  I've been a professional musician all my life and what I saw from Carolina Crown was no different than what many other professional music ensembles do -- they featured a singer. It could be an orchestra, jazz ensemble, brass band, wind ensemble, large concert band, rock band, heavy metal group, you name it -- but they all feature singers here and there.  Ah...but for some reason this is blasphemy in drum corps. God forbid we hear something other than brass and drums. 

I absolutely respect your opinion; I've read your posts and your perspectives are excellent.  

But extended vocals?

Let's think this through.  There's definitely a place for voice overs using electronics.  I'm okay with that in limited circumstances -- but vocals are like sung narration.  If I want to hear vocals I'll watch American Idol or something.  I'm not bashing singers in general or even Crown in particular.  Singers are great in their particular venue but, respectfully, I find extended vocals detract from the performance in drum corps.  

Brass, drums, and limited electronics should be the order of the day; I cannot see the usefulness of woodwinds, strings, or vocals.  This isn't band.  

• Like 8