Staffers - Note About This Season SynthBass/goo

1 hour ago, flammaster said:

How about using plain ole loud speakers instead of a sub when you listen?

that is why it sounds like goo.

I am referring to the live performance setting. There are times in smaller venues you can't hear anything past the goo. 

7 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Is my request that severe? Maybe I am in the minority thinking that the bass part/goo sounds more like feedback than something musical.

No your request is not severe, however you're suggesting closing the barn door about 10 years after the cow bolted.  That's why you're reading a little sarcasm in the responses.  

• Like 4

The electronics facet of the design and it's execution is by far the least mature part of drum corps programming. And I feel like we have seen some groups really getting their arms around this problem the past couple of years.  There have been some shifts and changes within electronics design and engineering teams this year. Hoping for even further maturation.

Not because they are reading this thread, but because they are all working to make a better product each year.

Edited by mingusmonk

2 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

The electronics facet of the design and it's execution is by far the least mature part of drum corps programming. And I feel like we have seen some groups really getting their arms around this problem the past couple of years.  There have been some shifts and changes within electronics design and engineering teams this year. Hoping for even further maturation.

Not because they are reading this thread, but because they are all working to make a better product each year.

Wait, is this right?  Is that really what they're working on "to make a better product"?

I have a different view that I wonder about:  Are they working to improve the interpretation of what the designer has in his head and what the board-person (iPad or analog) puts out through the speakers?

Are the mixers actually trained in such nuance of the machines?  Isn't the mixer who best "gets" what his designers want and "gets" how to make his electronics do that the person who bares the designers intentions?  Good or bad?

Who are these mixers?  Are the designers saying "More BASS!" or they saying "More IMPACT" and the mixer is hearing "More BASS!" because he's not trained well-enough on the interpretation of the designer's desires through his fingers?

Just spit-balling whether we're actually hearing what the designers are thinking is the "best product".

Edited by garfield

13 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Hello All,

So we are almost exactly one week from the opening show of the 2017 DCI season.  Seems there are quite a few changes in the works be it staff, uniforms, corps now in world class...etc.

So, here is a request for the staffers, instructors, creators and designers.   How bout keeping the BASS SYNTH parts (goo) to an absolute bare minimum in 2017?  I know it's nearly impossible for you to give up all this so at the very least....drop the volume to 'Near' zero.   Like teenagers in on their fathers stereo and can't control themselves.  Maybe better illustrated in actual video/audio.   see below (I did not post video )

From 9:10 - 9:34

play from 9:10 to 9:34

What?  Do you think this is Burger King?  Have it your way drum corps?:sarcasm:

I play bass bone professionally and I hate it when there is too much synth as well.  Unfortunately, HockeyDad and Garfield are correct.  This cow is long since left the barn and is visiting Wisconsin (to milk it) and Texas (to find the beef) so they can get more oomph!:laughing:

Or in the words of Harry Caray "HOLY COW!"

Edited by Old Corps Guy

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Is my request that severe? Maybe I am in the minority thinking that the bass part/goo sounds more like feedback than something musical.

I agree completely, but it's going to continue growing if anything. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Is there any evidence that the "goo" hurts anyone on the scoring sheets?

Just curious.

if anything, it gets rewarded, or corps would've turned it down before this.

it's why triple's wish is a pipe dream. sad. :(

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lance said:

I agree completely, but it's going to continue growing if anything. 

Again just referring to the volume (and even overuse) of the bass. Not all electronic effects. That is completely separate 

• Like 1