Favorite Closer?

I'm a rather new guy to drum corps, so in my recent years I gotta say Crown 11, Phantom 08, Cavies 06, 11, 14, 16, BAC 14, Bloo 14, Crown 15, Bloo 16, Bloo 15... I've seen Star 91 and goodness. My list is sporadic but i was typing as I was thinking. Those are a few that stand out to me

BD 1992

I'll mention the yesteryear greats I still love: 27th and "Danny Boy," SCV and the Bottle Dance, Kilties and "Auld Lang Sine" and Guardsmen and "Greensleeves."

I do enjoy sentimental endings, and a few favorites of recent years include SCV in 2012 and "Music of the Night." It was a powerful ending and anyone who remembers 1989 went back in time. Madison  in 2013 and "You'll Never Walk Alone" and Crown's finales in 2011, 2012, and especially 2013 were unforgettable.

• Like 3

Theme from Ice Castles. (Through The Eyes of Love). Madison Scouts early '80's. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3

This one is extremely difficult for me!! I am going with Cavies 2004. The visual aspect of this show was incredible! 

I also would like to mention cavies 2016. That closer was just awesome.

Who else is looking forward to seeing something new and spectacular this season?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Oh, man, this is a tough one. I see some great ones that have already been mentioned.

Let's start from the most recent and work our way back. My two favorite closers this past season were from the Academy and the Cavaliers.

BK in 2014 and 2015 were absolutely unreal emotional experiences to watch unfold.

Phantom Regiment is pretty much the king of the closer. 1989, 1996, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012 all stand out.

Cadets are the "Prince of the Closer" in my mind, as their closers are almost always a whirlwind of sight and sound. 1983, 1987, 1990, 1993, 2000, 2007, 2011 and 2012 are some of my favorites, although I may have to do some discovering and re-discovering in terms of this closer type.

Crown's closers from 2007-2009, 2011 and 2012 were extremely fun and memorable.

SCV's had some good closers too, not the least of which is 1988/89. Some other great closers that they've fielded include 1999, 2000, 2008 (the most underrated closer ever, IMO), and 2009.

Madison is another corps that knows how to close out a show well, too. 1988, 1995, 1997 and 1999 are closers that everyone remembers and lives, but I also loved all three of the closers from 2011-2013 as well.

There are other great closers from other corps that I haven't mentioned, but my eyes are fading.

So is there really a "best" closer? Not in my mind, or at least I've seen enough shows to know that there are so many good closers out there to enjoy. Any good designer or fan knows that it's important for a show to go out with a bang (or a whimper, if appropriate).

You just listed 39 closers. Way to commit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You just listed 39 closers. Way to commit.

I know it's a lot, but I'm being serious when I say that there have been so many good ones in history. And I missed several more (especially ones from way back in the early days of the activity) because I've only been extensively following DCI since the 2012 season, and because my eyes were getting tired and I already had listed many great ones.

• Like 1