Why are drum corps shows and titles so pretentious?

After a few more announcements, why are titles and descriptions so pretentious?  Loads of detail, lots of complex descriptions, "human emotions" and language we don't understand - when in the end it's just marching band- music and visual.

Even musicals or opera are not described in such a pretentious way!

This year seems worse than ever!

15 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I usually don't feel this way but there is one corps in particular this year who is getting pretty.......lengthy trying to describe their show.   And I'm still not sure what it's supposed to mean.  

I think it means "we're dragging this announcement out as long as possible because we are still working on the ending of the show and don't quite have it figured out just yet"

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Meh, some people like it, some don't. Don't worry, we'll probably all forget about it once the shows roll around!

I'm not a big fan of so much effort on show titles, themes, and explanations. And like DCI-86, many seem on the pretentious side to me. A couple of shows last year prompted me to have to bother with Wikipedia. ("Hey Siri. What the heck is...?") But I don't mind so much that other people like this stuff. 

6 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I'm not a big fan of so much effort on show titles, themes, and explanations. And like DCI-86, many seem on the pretentious side to me. A couple of shows last year prompted me to have to bother with Wikipedia. ("Hey Siri. What the heck is...?") But I don't mind so much that other people like this stuff. 

Exactly. That's why I love this activity so much. A lot of friends of mine love Crown for their outstanding brass. Some love Phantom for their ability to tell stories (more so in previous years). Others love Bluecoats for their fan-friendly, engaging shows. I love Blue Devils for their loads of show content and technique.

DCI has something for everybody. Even if I'm not a fan of (insert corps name here) and their style, I've got plenty of other groups to enjoy. Diversity is an awesome thing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

After a few more announcements, why are titles and descriptions so pretentious?  Loads of detail, lots of complex descriptions, "human emotions" and language we don't understand - when in the end it's just marching band- music and visual.

Even musicals or opera are not described in such a pretentious way!

This year seems worse than ever!

To get more discussion from Michael Cesario on the pre-season podcast?

• Like 1