What is your single favorite show from each year of the last ten years of DCI?

2007 Crown Triple Crown You will  see a Crown bent on my list, but this was a great show, and was the start of Crown becoming a force with the crowd, and I loved that.
2008 PR Spartacus This goes down as one of the most enjoyable nights of drum corps for me.  Outdoors with great weather, great shows, high drama, and an upset victory with a great show the crowd got behind, outside of BD Nation
2009 Crown Grass This is a default pick, honestly this was a down year for me.  I wanted to love 1930, I remember being excited about the show when I saw the repetoire, but it just did not grab me.  Plus, this was Crown's first shot at a title, and I fell in love with that brass line.
2010 Bloo Metropolis Loved the music in this show, and they had a hard working color guard.  Phantom is getting a lot of love here.  I need to revisit that show
2011 PR Juliet I go back to this one a lot.  Elsa gets me every time, and really liked the guard
2012 BD Caberet Voltaire It was not my favorite when I was there, but it grew on me.  I like the visual design and guard
2013 Crown E=MC2 My other favorite night of drum corps (what can I say?), but I do love this show.  That brass.  Sheesh
2014 BD Felinniesque What can anyone say?
2015 Crown Inferno I think this is my favorite show of all time.  Great GE hits (with no props), Great Brass, and Great Guard.  BD88 had a hold on my favorite show of all time for many years.  It has softened this past decade, but was not replaced by anything in particular, until Inferno
2016 Academy Drum Corpse Bride    I simply could not decide, I loved all the top 5, and 11th, so I went with the best story line, and best use of rib cage
2017 TBD   SCV is current front runner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, runyancm said:

015 Crown Inferno I think this is my favorite show of all time.  Great GE hits (with no props), Great Brass, and Great Guard.  BD88 had a hold on my favorite show of all time for many years.  It has softened this past decade, but was not replaced by anything in particular, until Inferno

No props if you don't count three very large tarps pulled overhead.

• Like 2

2007 - Carolina Crown - Fun and energetic!  Just saw a reference last night about "Devil in Blue."

2008 - Regiment - So glad to see this live sitting on the 50 halfway up.  Cavies close 2nd.  Crowd was crazy that night.

2009 - Blue Devils - Not my favorite year but we had a killer suite at the Omni.  Partied like rock stars so it was a fun championship week .  

2010 - Regiment - My father passed the same year. This show will always hold a special place in my heart. 

2011 - Cadets - Was hoping the demons would win.  

2012 - Blue Devils - Design kings even though the academic scholars (according to some) say it's not Dada. 

2013 - Bluecoats - SCV close 2nd. Murica! and Viva La France!  Great musical arrangements by both corps. 

2014 - Blue Devils - My gosh!

2015 - Bluecoats - There's just something about this show that I love. BD and BK are right up there too. Love this year. It gets the most play out of recent year CDs. 

2016 - Bluecoats - Sometimes GE wins the day.  

2017 - SCV, BD close 2nd. I just bought tickets today for a last minute trip to finals. A one day trip that hopefully has these two duking it out.  All I know is I have to see this in person. It will be my only show for the year.  Get it West Coast!

6 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

A Cadets problem too, apparently. Tsk tsk. :)

Not trying to single you out, but it has always just strike me odd why people feel the need to qualify why they've excluded BD (Cadets is probably the other biggie, but any corps really) in lists like these. It just comes off as backhanded, even if that isn't the intent. Different strokes for different folks. It's all good! 

You're probably right about Cadets. Same for me as Blue Devils. Fortunately, I recognize it as my problem, not theirs. I admire these two corps' accomplishments and consistent perches in the top tier. What BD has done in DCI over four decades is possibly unlike any organization has done in any other competitive field. (They ought to be the subject of several business school case studies.)

I just never get hugely enthusiastic about their shows. I like many of them; the shows haven't risen to favorite of a year, which requires very tough screening. From what I have seen on video, however, BD 2017 might change that. (Still, there will be SCV to overcome!) I get to see BD live this weekend in San Antonio - and it will be a highlight.

• Like 2

2016 - Crossmen

2015 - Carolina Crown

2014 - Blue Devils

2013 - Madison Scouts - one of my personal best experiences - as Madison vets stood to sing YNWA; ranked right up there with being there for Spirit of Atlanta's stand still in "Memphis 1980" the day Jim Ott died and being in Orlando 1996 with Phantom's first win.

2012 - Phantom

2011 - Phantom

2010 - Blue Devils

2009 - Carolina Crown

2008 - Phantom

2016: SCV 

2015: Blue Knights

2014: BD

2013: Crown

2012: Crown

2011: Cavies

2010: Phantom Regiment (hate to say it, but made more poignant with Myron Rosander's passing)

2009: nothing really stands out...I guess Crown or Boston

2008: Phantom Regiment

2007: BD

2007 Carolina Crown

2008 Phantom Regiment

2009 Carolina Crown

2010 Phantom Regiment

2011 Madison Scouts

2012 SCV

2013 Carolina Crown

2014 Blue Devils

2015 Cadets

2016 Bluecoats

2017 Boston Crusaders so far

2007: Phantom Regiment, "On Air" - Okay, visually they were a little dirty, but I really thought they should have been closer to the Cavaliers and well ahead of the SCV/Crown/Bluecoats cluster behind them. Musically it was the best designed show of the year, full stop. And the visual design was quite excellent, even if it wasn't executed to full potential.

2008: Phantom Regiment, "Spartacus" - Best Musically designed show in DCI history, for my money. And while I *DO* like the Blue Devils' 2008 show also, BD was fourth in music for a reason, and it wasn't just because of their percussion.

2009: Carolina Crown, "The Grass is Always Greener" - 'Til the day I die I will never understand how this show was a point and a half behind Blue Devils. Maybe BD had too much percussion and visual to be beaten, but Crown was underscored in GE and Concord had the easiest brass book of the 21st century to win DCI. Nothing but soloist chops and long tones from the ensemble.

2010: Carolina Crown, "A Second Chance" - I was there, first row, on the right 45 yard line, and I don't care how qualified Steve Calhoun is: he completely whiffed on this one. 4th in brass? For this show? "WRONG" --Dom Delouise, "Blazing Saddles"

2011: Phantom Regiment, "Juliet" - This was a five-movement show with THREE ballads, basically. And it's wonderful. Such emotion and effect.

2012: Carolina Crown, "For the Common Good" - Everything prior to this was warm-up from Crown, and here they blazed away with Bertrand Moren brass work. Maybe the best combo of hard music and movement I've ever seen. Can't complain about Crown being 2nd, though: I think BD's "Cabaret Voltaire" is a pretty under-rated show, and probably one of their Top 5 all time.

2013: Carolina Crown, "e=mc2" - Most championship shows just have that special "something" that's hard to quantify. This show had it in spades. Again, music performance and music effect win the day with me.

2014: Bluecoats, "Tilt" - Original, creative, fun. Things drum corps are supposed to be. Fantastic finale. Another year I was lucky enough to have seen live. But get outta here with that "they should have won" talk: 2014 Blue Devils is the best performed show I have ever seen. They were easily in a class of their own.

2015: The Cadets, "The Power of 10" - Dmitri Shostakovich is my favorite composer, and his Symphony No. 10 is my favorite classical work of all time. And The Cadets played the beans out of it. I'm still not really clear on what this show was supposed to be ABOUT, but I can listen to it over, and over, and over...

2016: Blue Devils, "As Dreams Are Made On" - Bluecoats had the better show and deserved to win. No complaints. But sometimes I get the feeling I'm the only person who really, really like BD last year. Just a wonderfully designed and executed performance.

2017: TBD. AS of right now, it's a race between Bluecoats' "Jagged Line" and Boston Crusaders' "Wicked Games."

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No props if you don't count three very large tarps pulled overhead.

I know.  Thought about that when I re-read it.  No elevated stages, at least.  Or trampolines (ugh).  Certainly a cleaner field than OOTW.  Or IT IS for that matter. 

Clutter does impact my enjoyment.  You can see from my list that most are clean fields, except BD, and when was the last time they had a clean field?  2007?

Couchmen 2016 what a year. No ramps and no jumpsuits. 

• Like 2