What is your single favorite show from each year of the last ten years of DCI?

Fun Topic!

2007 - Phantom Regiment, On Air.  It's.  Not.  Even. Close.  One of the best music books of all time (just edges out Harmonic Journey for me).  Who cares if it was never going to be clean visually.  I will go to my grave wondering how they were not 3rd that year.  HM: Crown - in almost any other year...

2008 - Phantom Regiment, Spartacus.  It's.  Not. Even.  Close.  LOL.  In my top 3 all time.  Most memorable live Finals experience, just edging out Scouts 95.  HM: Blue Stars & Crown

2009 - Vanguard, Ballet for Martha.  Elegant.  HM:  Crown, Academy.  Not one of my favorite DCI years...

2010 - Phantom Regiment, Into the Light.  Is there any other show less appreciated at the time but adored now?  Such a great music book & visual design.  HM: Bluecoats.  Another of Not my favorite years...

2011 - Phantom Regiment, Juliet.  Elsa's, Elsa's Elsa's.  What a closer.  That last time Regiment completely felt like Regimnent.  HM:  Scouts

2012 - Phantom Regiment, Turandot.  Maybe Regiment's best visual program and guard ever?  Oh, if only Shaw had written the music book & Rennick had been there...  HMs: BK's Avian, Boston, Crossmen, Surf.  A GREAT year top to bottom...

2013 - Vanguard, Les Miz.  Some pure goosebump moments.  HM: Crown, Cadets

2014 - Blue Knights, That One Second.  So emotional.  Great music book, great show.  HM:BD, Oregon, Colts

2015 - Crown, Inferno.  Classic, great drum corps.  If only they had replicated Friday's performance on Saturday night...  HM: Troopers, Colts, Cadets (that Drill!  Runined by black uni's.  :(, BK, BD.  A GREAT year from top to bottom

2016 - Academy, Drum Corps Bride.  HM: Crown, Blue Stars.  Not nearly as strong a year as 2015.

Great to see all the nods PR 2007 has gotten!

Harvey

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hostrauser said:

"WRONG" --Dom DeLuise, Blazing Saddles

He worked here in the 1950s. About ten years ago, we were going through a lot of old papers that had piled up in a storeroom, and we found some of his paystubs. Had to shred them, though.

I'm only going back as far as I can remember, since I've only been following drum corps seriously for the last few years:

2017- Carolina Crown (Family member in the pit, obviously biased toward this one.)

2016- Carolina Crown (Relentless)

2015- Santa Clara Vanguard (The Spark of Invention)

2014- Cavaliers (Immortal)

2013- Madison Scouts (Corps of Brothers)

I also have to mention the show that really got me into drum corps in the first place, which was 2006 Cavaliers (The Machine). I went to the semi-finals for the first time that year since my dad was playing in the Madison Scouts Alumni Corps, and, being only 12, I thought the Cavaliers' performance was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. I still go back and watch it on Youtube to this day. 

• Like 1

After reading through all of the postings, seeing merely a few times non-G7 corps are listed as sort of tokens, and one poster even saying, 'to go outside the top 6' like those corps are second class citizians,... I am sad to say, it shatters my heart to say, that the G7 may have a valid point in that for the most part 'they' are the only corps in DCI you all really care to see, hear, enjoy and support. Anyway, carry on.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, DCIsis21 said:

I'm only going back as far as I can remember, since I've only been following drum corps seriously for the last few years:

2017- Carolina Crown (Family member in the pit, obviously biased toward this one.)

2016- Carolina Crown (Relentless)

2015- Santa Clara Vanguard (The Spark of Invention)

2014- Cavaliers (Immortal)

2013- Madison Scouts (Corps of Brothers)

I also have to mention the show that really got me into drum corps in the first place, which was 2006 Cavaliers (The Machine). I went to the semi-finals for the first time that year since my dad was playing in the Madison Scouts Alumni Corps, and, being only 12, I thought the Cavaliers' performance was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. I still go back and watch it on Youtube to this day. 

I've been following drum corps since about 1988, but 2006 holds a special place in my heart since it's the first Finals I was ever able to attend. Finishing college, getting married and having kids made me forget about drum corps for awhile, but when I was able to get back into it again, watching Bloo have their highest placement ever, Regiment with their amazing Faust, and Cavies sew up the gold with Machine...it was a great Finals!

• Like 1

2007- Carolina Crown, Triple Crown, HM- SCV

2008- Phantom Regiment, Spartacus, HM- Crown (still kicking myself for not going to finals that year.)

2009- Carolina Crown, Grass is Always Greener, HM- SCV (Ask me tomorrow and I will probably reverse the order of these two awesome shows.)

2010- Cavaliers, Mad World, HM- Phantom Regiment

2011- Cadets, Angels and Demons, HM- Phantom Regiment (Oh, the intensity of that ending!) (IMO 2011 was one of the all-time greatest years for the top 12)  

2012- Phantom Regiment, Turandot, HM-Cadets (Yeah I liked all the different ways they portrayed the 12-25 theme)

2013- Santa Clara Vanguard, Les Mis, HM- Crown (A reverse of 2009. Ask me tomorrow and I will probably reverse the order of these two.)

2014- Bluecoats, Tilt, HM- Blue Devils (those kids all moved and played like professionals!)

2015-Carolina Crown, Inferno, HM-SCV

2016-Bluecoats, Downside up, HM- Crown

We're now up to 60 responses that followed the OP's rules (1 pick per year), which include 83 shows from 15 corps. Here are the top 3 for each year:

2007    Phantom Regiment (18), Carolina Crown (14), Cadets (8)
2008    Phantom Regiment (35), Carolina Crown (8), Cavaliers (5)
2009    Carolina Crown (19), Vanguard (14), Blue Devils (12)
2010    Cavaliers (14), Phantom Regiment (13), Blue Devils/Bluecoats (5)
2011    Cadets (25), Phantom Regiment (12), Cavaliers (6)
2012    Blue Devils (15), Carolina Crown (10), Phantom Regiment (8)
2013    Carolina Crown (28), Vanguard (12), Blue Devils/Bluecoats (4)
2014    Bluecoats (21), Blue Devils (20), Blue Knights (7)
2015    Carolina Crown (19), Blue Devils (13), Bluecoats (9)
2016    Bluecoats (24), Academy (9), Vanguard (7)

And your overall decade-long medalists

Bronze: The  Cadets 2011 Between Angels and Demons - 25 votes

Silver: Carolina Crown 2013 e=mc2 - 28 votes

Gold: Phantom Regiment 2008 Spartacus - 35 votes

• Like 1

2016 - Cavaliers: Propaganda - This show was a joy to watch, extremely creative, and never failed to get an audience response.

2015 - Blue Devils: Ink - I respected "Felliniesque", but I loved "Ink".

2014 - Bluecoats: Tilt - This might actually be my favorite show of all time now.  "Tilt" was a game-changer.  It has had an effect on the activity in terms of how it has approached sound design ever since.  You can make a value judgement on whether or not you think that's a good thing, but I am firmly in the "yes" camp.  

2013 - Carolina Crown: E=mc^2 - A rather perfect culmination of Crown's ascent to the upper tier of DCI.

2012 - Santa Clara Vanguard: Music of the Starry Night - To be honest, 2012 was not a year that really grabbed me.  No one had a truly outstanding production in my opinion, but SCV came the closest for me.

2011 - Cadets: Between Angels and Demons - Maybe a bit obvious, but the effect of this show was undeniable.

2010 - Cavaliers: Mad World - Just a great concept, well executed.

2009 - Glassmen: The Journey of ONE - I admit there may be some nostaliga talking here.  The Glassmen would never again crack the top 10 after this lovely show, and they were gone a couple of years later.  Blue Stars is my probably "objective" choice here.

2008 - Phantom Regiment: Spartacus - It's cool to bag on this show a bit ten years later, but it's still a masterclass in how to get the audience to eat out of your hand.

2007 - Bluecoats: Criminal - *Criminally* underrated.  One of the most fun and well-written brass books Doug Thrower has ever put on the field.

• Like 1

Whichever show from each year I listen to the most is how I came up with my choices. I might get flamed for a couple of these but...

2007: Cadets - "This, I Believe"

HM: Bluecoats - "Criminal"

2008: Blue Devils - "Constantly Risking Absurdity"

HM: Glassmen - "Carnival"

2009: Crown - "The Grass Is Always Greener"

HM: Blue Devils - "1930"

2010: Bluecoats - "Metropolis: The Future Is Now"

HM: Blue Stars - "Houdini"

2011: Blue Devils - "The Beat My Heart Skipped"

2012: Cavaliers - "15 Minutes of Fame"

HM: Bluecoats - "UnMasqued"

2013: Crossmen - "Protest"

HM: Crown - "E=MC2

2014: BAC - "Animal Farm"

HM: SCV - "Scheherazade: Words 2 Live By"

2015: Bluecoats - "Kinetic Noise"

2016: Blue Devils - "As Dreams Are Made On"

Turns out I'm not as big of a Crown homer as I thought I was. 

Edited by crownisking