9 minutes ago, Big Adam said:

It seems like you're really upset and I'm not sure why.  

Not upset, just want to know why there are no scores.  Many hours of rehearsal put in for an exhibition.  As a fan I think I can ask.  

I just found the statements by a few people that "all" wanted this, not be reliable, I think that Jay confirmed this.  

Edited by AoEnut

7 minutes ago, AoEnut said:

Not upset, just want to know why there are no scores.  Many hours of rehearsal put in for an exhibition.  

I just found the statements by a few people that "all" wanted this, not be reliable, I think that Jay confirmed this.  

As a fan I think I can ask.  

Fair enough so there it is. Those are the reasons why. Some pertain to the first year of why we tried it, some pertain to the reason why we continued it. I think the reality is that nobody is sorely bent out of shape out of it. Maybe some people prefer it to be judged, that's ok, everybody's opinion is going to differ on every issue in the world but there's no implication that drum corps is doomed or that the member's aren't being challenged or rewarded enough. In three days from now there will be scores and there won't be a whole lot that will be different, just numbers. Anybody that was at the show could probably tell you the rankings, maybe even a generalization of the numbers but like I said (and as someone who is competing against all the groups) I think it was the best that collectively the corps have been in Wildwood so I'm glad everyone could just the aspect of performing. And despite what anyone thinks, it was still a competition, the judge's still critiqued us, most of them will see us again, some people have formed impressions and fans/people alike talk to each other so there's still a competitive aspect to it. Just no number.

On 6/20/2017 at 9:37 AM, Jeff Ream said:

not silly at all and was like this for several seasons in the 90's. I forget the place in Jackson NJ that never cut the grass, or the place in Bayonne in 95. never a number, come, perform, get a read, party, go home. worked fine

Bayonne...lol and then hit the Venice after the show...which is not the Venice anymore...It got sold.  It's so respectable that my Baptist Minister Brother goes in there.

Edited by Bucbari
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Big Adam said:

some people have formed impressions and fans/people alike talk to each other so there's still a competitive aspect to it. Just no number.

Don't get mad.  

No number is delaying the impression competitively and I got to be honest, the motive seems to be exactly that.  All the other stuff is just fluff and comes off as delaying the reality.  

All the members work --which for many has been since November-- is devalued.  My point is that.  I'm also saying, maybe corps A should've beat corps B and that should be recognized, but, it's delayed by a smoke screen.  I hope you understand that that perception is there.  

AoE

Edited by AoEnut

22 hours ago, AoEnut said:

I think I can say pretty confidently that is not true. 

I think I can say the opposite because otherwise corps were not looking to go out this early if not done

5 hours ago, cmfdog said:

John/Jeff....your "information" is fictitious at best.

thats cool. i was told otherwise by directors, current and former

5 hours ago, AoEnut said:

Not upset, just want to know why there are no scores.  Many hours of rehearsal put in for an exhibition.  As a fan I think I can ask.  

BITD you had many hours...probably more...put in for Mt. Carmel or Danville and no one raised hell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AoEnut said:

Don't get mad.  

No number is delaying the impression competitively and I got to be honest, the motive seems to be exactly that.  All the other stuff is just fluff and comes off as delaying the reality.  

All the members work --which for many has been since November-- is devalued.  My point is that.  I'm also saying, maybe corps A should've beat corps B and that should be recognized, but, it's delayed by a smoke screen.  I hope you understand that that perception is there.  

AoE

there have been many seasons, and you can search the archives here on DCP, where the second a score in Wildwood went up the screams of slotting etc happened.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AoEnut said:

Don't get mad.  

AoE

I'm not mad. Far from it. Just you were looking for answers and as someone involved in this decision to have it be a judged exhibition I offered you an explanation but let me ask you what reality is being delayed?

and the only thing that is being devalued about the hard working members here is implying that the only reason anyone does drum corps is to win. Nobody who participated in the show on Saturday feels devalued. It's actually quite the opposite reaction. There are plenty of corps that have been rehearsing since November that haven't even gone out yet. Are they also devalued? Every year, almost the same five corps, five of the best corps and historic corps in DCA, choose to air it out a week earlier and in some cases weeks earlier than the rest of the circuit and because they aren't being scored they are being devalued? If anything I think it raises their value. And I have no problem when a corps chooses to start their competitive season, that's their choice, a lot of factors go into building a drum corps schedule. They need to do what's best for their drum corps. But sitting here speculating that there's some kind ploy or that everyone that was there is outraged or feeling devalued is insulting. 

We're probably not going to see eye to eye here but I'm not a keyboard fan. I'm one of the guys that are there at every rehearsal and if you don't want to hear and believe it from me than I don't know where else you would believe it from. I'm not hiding my affiliation or behind any kind of screen name so hopefully we see each other at show sometime and can have a beer and smooth it over. Introduce yourself. I'm always open to debate and discussion and certainly enjoy a cold one. I love the judged exhibition and I know our corps does so I'll defend it. 

• Like 2

Also doesn't hurt the adjudicators to be able to look, discuss in a more relaxed setting, and also look at the programs using DCA Metrics and Rubrics which are rather different in certain key areas than the Scholastic band ones.

I'll yank John's and Adam's chain later about something I think I already know the answer about- but I want to bring up. When the normals in the audience who like their golf clapping and sit on their hands except for the team their relative or kid is in give someone "The Look" when they, heaven forbid... get excited about a big moment that's well done.... :whistle: