Sacramento Mandarins 2017 - Wow

^ thanks for the update and VERY exciting to hear

Hope they have a great 2017 and I really look forward to seeing the corps,

George 

• Like 1

Great to hear. The Mandarins are always an amazing group. I miss having them perform here in Ohio at the Massillon show. One of the drawbacks of having a TOC show is not getting the mix of corps that I much prefer over just top 7 or 8.  Hope to see them this summer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

This past Saturday (June 17), I went to the Sacramento Mandarins' Family Day show.  I was very excited by what I saw.

Over the past few years, Mandarins have continued to do better and better each year.  I fee like they made a sizable jump in size and quality about 3-4 years ago and the Mandarins of today are on another level than a few years ago. Since joining Division 1/World Class, I feel they are often overlooked (Their 2013 show was OUTSTANDING).  I think this will be the year they make a jump in scores and placements.  I think they will continue to turn some heads.  I believe they will be on the DCI cinemacast this year, and have an outside chance (depending how the cards fall) of making finals.  

Key Take-Aways:

-Mandarins are marching a full corps (150 members)

-Show theme is "Inside The Ink" which (this is my take, I have not seen a formal description) explores Rorschach tests and how what you see might not be what others see.  

-All sections are STRONG.  Hornline is HOT (go to their Facebook page and watch a warm-up they posted  - dang!), percussion sounds great, and guard is REALLY strong.  I think that something great about this show is that it is written just right - meaning, that while challenging, every section can be successful at a high level and will be improving at every show throughout the summer. Visual is the weakest as of now and will benefit immensely through repeated practice and shows.

-A special shout out to the guard, who is, by far the best guard the Mandarins has ever fielded.  A great deal of equipment work.

-My favorite part of the show is the Sound of Silence.  VERY effective!

Best of luck to them for a successful, safe, and fun summer!   If you have a chance to see them, definitely do - such a great corps!

since you said it...

It's a grungy pop year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, monarch said:

since you said it...

It's a grungy pop year.

So many high school marching bands used that song (and this particular cover of the song) as their ballad this past fall. And I mean a LOT.

As part of the full 150 members, they're fielding a brassline of 76 members. As someone who has been associated with the corps since its Class A/60 and Division III days, this brings me so much joy. At the familiy day performance, the brass really blew me away with a maturity of sound I haven't heard from them this early in the season before, particularly in the opener. And the fact that they had their full show on the field also points to the corps being in a really good place right now. I wish them the very best this season. I'd LOVE to see them break into the Top 12 at last!

• Like 7

On 6/19/2017 at 9:05 AM, GetOFFmyDot said:

-Show theme is "Inside The Ink" which (this is my take, I have not seen a formal description) explores Rorschach tests and how what you see might not be what others see.  

For some reason that Rorschach guy liked to draw a lot of pictures of my parents fighting. Weird.

• Like 8