Sacramento Mandarins 2017 - Wow

Mandarins were a great revelation last night.  Really, really enjoyed them (Posted a review in the Reviews section)

• Like 1

This is a good way to use post 100, Let's go Mandarins! Really got impressed by y'all at DCI West and hope y'all can make a finals run, this show is awesome and two new finalists in two years would be cool too!

• Like 2

They definitely came out strong. They have "played the game" extremely well the past couple of years. Been keeping a close eye on them. Designing shows that make sense for a growing corps... they turned quite a few heads last year. Very achievable and effective show.  They are being smart and giving the members the opportunity to achieve at a high level, gearing up the design each year as they continue to grow. They definitely took it up a big notch this year.  Very impressed with their performance in Stanford. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kickhaltsforlife said:

They have "played the game" extremely well the past couple of years.... Designing shows that make sense for a growing corps... they turned quite a few heads last year. Very achievable and effective show.  They are being smart and giving the members the opportunity to achieve at a high level, gearing up the design each year as they continue to grow...

Trying to think of which other corps you could have used that exact same description for and only one comes to mind...

The Academy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

Glad to hear Mandarins are doing well -- where is the staff talent coming from? Home grown or from other corps?

They didn't change a lot this year, some new visual staff and Ike Jackson I think.   Can see his hands all over the design side and percussion side of things.

I heard Key Poulans (arranger) son is in the hornline this year.  That's pretty awesome!  

I think this year is just a culmination of the gradual improvement and increase of quality in talent and show design over the last few years.  Reminds me of The Academy in 2014 - 2015, those made 2016 happen.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, tedrick said:

Glad to hear Mandarins are doing well -- where is the staff talent coming from? Home grown or from other corps?

In terms of show design, I believe Key Poulan (brass arranger and composer) is the only holdover from previous years. New designers for drill, color guard, and percussion this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Speaking of Key Poulan, did anyone ever find out Mandarin's repertoire for the season? Or is it all original Key Poulan stuff again beyond Sound of Silence? 

Also Crazy by Patsy Cline, that's the drum feature.  I think the rest is original.