Cesario out as Artistic Director

2 hours ago, ShortAndFast said:

I don't think anyone other than the direct participants knows whether the AD "spearheaded the effort" (DCI's language) or was just along for the ride (yours). DCI never had an AD before, so why did the corps decide to hire and pay one these last 5 years? I'd guess it's because they agreed that an artistic change was needed and then created a position to lead that change. 

The fact that they've decided to continue the position post-Cesario suggests that the corps think they are getting value from that role.

Pay?  Did they?

Who are "they"?

You may think it suggests something of value that they've kept the position.  Just don't be deluded into thinking it's some sort of "leadership" position.

It's not.

(IMO)

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

Exactly.

I was under the impression earlier that you didn't see it this way...?

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

But this makes sense when he's pushing organizations to engage the audience and be true to their identity.  It's like saying 'be free to be you... you won't get penalized for being fun and being you'.

I am not at all convinced that there was remotely a contentious relationship between program designers and Cessario.  It seems to me that more groups have been afforded far better input since this arrangement started.

Or is it that the judges actually were afforded far more understanding of the direction the directors wanted to take the activity?

I absolutely do not believe C represents any sort of contention at all.  In fact, I think he's more result than than instigator.  But I may overstate the case...

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, and it was YOUR impression.

Sometimes the trees make it hard to see.

Well then step out of the forest!:sigh:

On 20/06/2017 at 7:58 PM, BoaDci said:

Lee Carlson is the new guy! Dan Achison seems confident.

Cesario's Replacement

If you want to take the intellectual pulse of drum corps, this is the thread for you. Reading through these posts has provided a most fascinating 20 minutes or so.

I truly wish we could sit around a table in real time (as often happened in days of old) and discuss such matters over refreshments. And if that were possible now, I'd like to do it at Michael Cesario's house.

On 6/20/2017 at 11:01 PM, xandandl said:

For those who don't know the man,

LEE CARLSON of Palm Springs, CA

Lee has served as Visual Caption Head for Drum Corps International for three year and Judges Liaison for two years. Currently he is Judge Recruiter for DCI. Lee has been judging for DCI for 14 years, and has judged finals 8 times. He has judged for Bands Of America for 7 years including Grand Nationals Finals for the last two years and has been a clinician for the Music for All Summer Symposium for 6 years. He has judged for many Winter Guard Circuits across the country, and has been involved in administration for the Winter Guard Association of Southern California and the Indiana High School Winter Guard Association. He has been drill designer for the University of Southern California for the last 31 years. His experience in instructions ranges from high school, to drum corps, and has been involved with large pageantry productions including the 1984 Summer Olympics, the centennial of the Statue of Liberty, Centennial and Bicentennial of the French Revolution and the Eiffel Tower in Paris and Celebration of Independence in Singapore. Internationally he has adjudicated in Japan, England, and the Netherlands.

(from e-adjudicators)

Obviously an incredible talent, just like Cesario.

Some here attribute much of the huge design shifts in the activity to just one person, so I wonder what the opinions are on what Earth-shaking impact Mr. Carlson will bring?

After all, Cesario's talents apparently easily predicted his influence in such a short time.  We should be able to read Mr. Carlson's CV and see the future.

4 hours ago, ironlips said:

If you want to take the intellectual pulse of drum corps, this is the thread for you. Reading through these posts has provided a most fascinating 20 minutes or so.

I truly wish we could sit around a table in real time (as often happened in days of old) and discuss such matters over refreshments. And if that were possible now, I'd like to do it at Michael Cesario's house.

Aren't we kind-of sitting around a big "table" now?

Speak up, and pass the gravy.

An hour specifically alone to ask any and all questions of Cesario would be, almost, a bucket list item checked.