Cesario out as Artistic Director

We are all used to drill designers pointing our focus to the soloist in the front center so as to distract us from the missing/tacit percussion line or the disrobing guard shifting into their fourth outfit of the evening. Barely noticed in his recent Potter-cast previewing last year’s finalists on the eve of the 2017 season, Michael Cesario states (35:30) that he will no longer be DCI’s Artistic Director.

https://soundcloud.com/drum-corps-international/season-preview-with-dcis-michael-cesario

He’s been the Father Confessor and Mentor to the various designers and faculties of all corps, the motivator and salesman to the directors that this is how the activity is and should be headed, the always exaggerated overstated almost comic book Superhero character to rev the troops and incite the fans. Who will succeed him? Who should succeed him?  In the various official and non-official DCI Critiques and other discussions, what do you sense from this summer that will help fill that role for next season?  Should there be an infallible person influencing both how corps design and how judges judge the corps as they perform?

Michael Cesario proved his mettle in DCI with the Cadets and Phantom Regiment of the ‘80’s. But since then his influence has been almost larger than life. Now under his tenure, it is almost impossible to differentiate DCI from BOA or WGI. His name has become synonymous with what competitive units of the activity wear.  He taught costume design and history for the New York State college system for decades before retiring. Should anyone be surprised that he’s moved the activity away from uniforms to costumes?  And he exits in a season that sees legacy corps like Madison Scouts, Cadets, Boston Crusaders, and Santa Clara abandon their iconic looks just as he steered The Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment in this same direction. [BTW, is there really much of a difference between those black-ribbed shirts Cavies sport and the new outfit for Regiment? Maybe it’s his black ribbed and leather period like other artists have had blue periods.]

This is not just a dump on Cesario thread but deliberately lighting some sparks and fires so some light might also come with the heat of what this change will mean for the activity, what will be rewarded and why in 2017 and in future seasons. Some have said DCI at 45 is like a many a man having a mid-life crisis: discarding old staples and marrying trophy wives, getting a toupe, cruising around with a spiffed up sports car. Some have called for a greater definition of a Conflict of Interest policy for whoever may be chosen. Some like it as it is and don't worry about the influence of the manufacturers and lobbyists be it fabric manufacturers, instruments, or G7/8 adherents. 

What’s your prediction to who and why will direct the artistic sense?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

How recently did he take over?   So not everyone likes his taste in uniforms.  Who cares?  I had more fun watching drum corps last year from Bluecoats down to Les Stentors than I ever had.   And part of that is what he's talked about over the last few years.  Every corps has a voice.  Every corps has something in their show to get us on our feet.  And IMO he has had a part in that, and for that I'm very grateful to him on what he's done for the activity.  

He always seems incredibly passionate, excited, and just like he loves the activity.  It's so easy to pin blame on him for what we might not like in shows, but when it comes down to it corps themselves made that decision.   

I wish him a happy retirement and all the best.  I'm certainly not gonna trash talk the guy from behind my keyboard as he is finishing up a pretty big part of his life and I imagine he's pretty emotional about this being his last season.  

Heck, if I picked the right instrument and if I were in my early 20s again... I would march my butt off for him this year. I really hope these corps bring everything they got for him this year.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, xandandl said:

What’s your prediction to who and why will direct the artistic sense?

Is there still a need for an Artistic Director?  Seems like the corps have the talent who can work together to get the job done.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

How recently did he take over?   So not everyone likes his taste in uniforms.  Who cares?  I had more fun watching drum corps last year from Bluecoats down to Les Stentors than I ever had.   And part of that is what he's talked about over the last few years.  Every corps has a voice.  Every corps has something in their show to get us on our feet.  And IMO he has had a part in that, and for that I'm very grateful to him on what he's done for the activity.  

He always seems incredibly passionate, excited, and just like he loves the activity.  It's so easy to pin blame on him for what we might not like in shows, but when it comes down to it corps themselves made that decision.   

I wish him a happy retirement and all the best.  I'm certainly not gonna trash talk the guy from behind my keyboard as he is finishing up a pretty big part of his life and I imagine he's pretty emotional about this being his last season.  

I hope Mr. Cesario has a great 2017 drum corps season.  

I'd argue he's helped keep this activity relevant. It's 2017 and he's helped push corps into getting with the times. If the shows were still like they were in the 90's, I don't think the activity would have the same appeal to the younger generation as it does now. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'd argue he's helped keep this activity relevant. It's 2017 and he's helped push corps into getting with the times. If the shows were still like they were in the 90's, I don't think the activity would have the same appeal to the younger generation as it does now. 

I would also like to add that he did help The Cavaliers greatly last season. I remember how nervous I was for the show that year, but it ended up being my favorite of the season. 

Man, I wish I had an opportunity to work with him.

13 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Totally agree.