Open class predictions

not sure where Comany falls into any of this ,but they will make  there mark knocking off many america corps.

In 2015, Jubal's score was 8th in Open Class. In DCE finals six weeks later, they finished two points behind The Company. Two points better in DCI Open would still be 8th.

Obviously the European corps benefit from their season starting so early. On the other hand, they suffer from being mostly-weekend corps, so it takes longer to clean. One thing working in The Company's favor may be the sheer amount of content. This is a long show by DCI Open Class standards. Typically only four or five O.C. corps have shows this long, I think.

• Like 1

As a Kidsgrove alum (who got swept by CO last season) I went to Barnsley not wanting to like this show... but I did. It's clearly been written with DCI in mind and if they can get it clean I feel they will definitely be in the hunt for an Open Class finals place. But that's the big "if". IF they can get it clean. As a previous poster mentioned, here in the UK, we are weekend corps. We simply do not have the schedule that allows for cleaning like DCI corps do. THat said, its a nicely written show that I think the American audiences will enjoy.

• Like 1

After watching The Company's video, I can say I am very impressed with the soprano trumpet line.  Doesn't surprise me that they are excellent, including the soloists, considering the tradition of the great British brass bands/ensembles.  Can't really comment on the visual since the static position of the video doesn't give us much of an idea of the drill.  I like the music selections.  Main issue I heard was intonation problems when the ensemble was playing the first part but it tightened up as the show progressed.  Musically, the corps seems top heavy - lots of trumpets.  I miss hearing good, solid baritone/euph sound.  But overall I suspect they will place well and I'm glad they are coming to the US this year.

Thanks for all the nice comments about Southwind!

• Like 1

Here's a little taste from Music City's FB page of last night's premier performance for family & friends.  Due to lots of recent rains they couldn't use the stadium - had to use the parking lot.

Recent rains may have forced Music City Drum Corps to hold its dress rehearsal in the parking lot, but there was no dampening of enthusiasm of the corps' premiere performance of its 2017 production "Tribe." Check out a short segment of the corps' performance for family and friends on June 24. Thank you to the masses who turned out to cheer them on! https://youtu.be/2qSyVLxpuc0

What does everyone think about the West Coast open class corps' shows so far? I think SCVC has a great start... it seems like they don't have a closer yet and BDB has their show finished. BDD has steadily been beating SCVC so far but again VC does not have a closer and what they do have seemed unfinished. SCVC has also been beating BDB in percussion.

45 minutes ago, IBTwist said:

What does everyone think about the West Coast open class corps' shows so far? I think SCVC has a great start... it seems like they don't have a closer yet and BDB has their show finished. BDD has steadily been beating SCVC so far but again VC does not have a closer and what they do have seemed unfinished. SCVC has also been beating BDB in percussion.

I watched them with great interest on the DCI West live stream. 

Golden Empire, because of their small brass section, just couldn't get a big sound anywhere.  Probably nothing they can do about that, but they had intonation problems which can be fixed.  Blue Devils B had a great big brass and percussion sound and a great soloist - musically just top notch.  But I found their show a little boring.  Maybe they will jazz it up as the season progresses.  I liked Vanguard Cadets' show more than BDB for the most part.  But their show ended on a downer.  From your comments I assume they didn't have their closer ready for that show so hopefully the next time we hear them, that will be fixed.  I did think they used WAY TOO MUCH SYNTH - but that's just my tastes.  I can see them passing BDB this year if they have a great closer.

Thoughts on the West Coast:

- Blue Devils B have a completely bare bones skeleton of what could be an immensely monstrous show.  I'm assuming they didn't have guard costuming, show silks (saw some of last years), finished props, or a lot of other stuff.  But the drill and music by itself set the stage for what could be an absolutely breathtaking show.  

- Vanguard Cadets seemed more finished but also didn't have a finished show.  Still need to see the Mackey Trombone concerto.  What they did have was awesome though, LOVED the guard costuming and color palette.  Drill was great and straight up.......Vanguard?  Loved the tone of what they did.  

- Golden Empire for a newish corps was very solid.  Percussion and guard had some great moments and for their length of season they're attempting quite an ambitious show.  Good on them.  

- BDC was adorable, but a legit drum corps.  Had a blast watching them.  

• Like 1