A Popcorn Eater's View On Early Scoring...

Okay...short and sweet I hope.

Granted this is a DCA example instead of DCI, but I think it speaks to the enigma of early scoring. Last year, my kid marched in Atlanta CV and they busted their butts all Spring and Summer last year in anticipation of a July 4th trip to Baltimore. Some of the "bigs" of DCA were going to be there ( Bucaneers, Cadets 2, Fusion Core, etc. ) and as a southern DCA corps we were all interested in the impression they would make. 

Long story short, they finished 3rd that night to Bucs and Fusion Core. But beat Cadets 2. 

Fast forward to September in Rochester. Cadets 2 wins DCA Finals outright. Atlanta CV finishes 6th. 

I don't put much stock at all into early season scoring. 

That said, I'll be in INDY tomorrow night cheering my butt off for my son and newly minted Cavalier. Hate what happened to them last night ( couldn't really be avoided), but hope that they come out swinging like the rehearsal tapes I've seen. If they do, they'll have a great night regardless of what they score, who they lose to, or who they beat. 

Meanwhile...I'll be sitting in Lucas Oil...enjoying my popcorn. :-)  And I'll be sitting there again in mid-August, when I'd be more than willing to talk more about scoring. All of that said, I DID enter the prediction game. :bored:

Ready to get this season rolling! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

You just focus on watching your son having an amazing first DCI performance with an amazing corps.    Can't put a number on what you're gonna experience tomorrow.  

I am so looking forward to seeing a full performance of their show.  

:)

It's all perspective. He had 9 vertebrae fused before his first Atlanta CV season in 2015. We're just thankful that he has the full range of motion, dexterity, and musicianship to not only make the Cavaliers, but to do it rather handily. Everything else...and I mean EVERYTHING else...is just gravy at this point. 

• Like 2

Just now, PopcornEater1963 said:

It's all perspective. He had 9 vertebrae fused before his first Atlanta CV season in 2015. We're just thankful that he has the full range of motion, dexterity, and musicianship to not only make the Cavaliers, but to do it rather handily. Everything else...and I mean EVERYTHING else...is just gravy at this point. 

Enjoy it.  It goes by fast. 

• Like 2

I know exactly what you're talking about.  Having no one to look for on the field after nine seasons of drum corps and four years of the Marching Illini made me sad the year after he aged out and graduated from college in the same year.  I was a bit shell shocked. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

There seems to be lots of Popcorn and Poppycock in this thread.:sigh:

I need to change my screen name to something cooler like "orville redenbacher gourmet popcorn kernel"

Catchy?