Massillon, Ohio 2017 version 1

4 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Thematically it'll be fun having BAC and Cadets performances next to each other. 

"I confess . . ." -- "Guilty!"

But not in that order tonight.

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

And no... BAC did not put a witch's spell on them... (lol)

Because one of the lessons we take from the Salem witch trials is that there were no actual witches.

4 hours ago, superOOk said:

Cadets had some issues with getting props to the field.

Bloo seemed to be having a little set-up trouble of their own later in the evening.

2 hours ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Wow! Cadets 1st in guard! Never expected that!

Never underestimate Kristy Templin and what she, her staff, and the guard members can do.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, drummergirl said:

Oh,to be a fly on the wall at critique tonight...

Totally unrelated, but I noticed your "Wicked Strong" avatar and realized that the "Wicked" in Boston's "Wicked Games" theme has a whole other meaning considering the Boston/New England slang.

4 hours ago, kevingamin said:

I wonder if they have to announce the part about the Leonard Bernstein office as part of the permission to perform MASS?

Some show host's announcer should decline to do so, just to see what happens. Or DCI should say, "Sorry, no free advertising, but if the Bernstein estate wants to give us a sponsorship, we'll consider it".

Naturally tonight's announcer mispronounced "Bernstein". It rhymes with line not with lean.

(Though I think his parents pronounced it to rhyme with lane. But he changed that when he changed his first name from Louis.)

On the other hand, and unsurprisingly, she pronounced "Massillon" correctly--unlike Dan Acheson earlier this week. The vowel in the last syllable is a schwa.

1 hour ago, lastknight said:

Does she balance live?  In the theater she kind of stuck out like a bad photoshop edit....  EQ perhaps?

That was actually a general issue with the cinecast. The Cadets Vocal Ensemble had the same issue. Neither were issues for the live attendees at Lucas Oil, however, from what I've seen. It's tough for the cinecast production crew to properly mic six completely different shows on the first night of the season.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Whereas, despite our having attended the same show a dozen times or more, I never see Kevin at the stadium, which didn't change tonight.

Maybe I should have gone to a diner after the show? :D

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Was that the year the snare line just kept getting bigger and bigger, or was that 1988?

Both years, actually.

4 hours ago, kevingamin said:

This show is already light years ahead of last year in terms of design, plus you can tell they're putting a shine on it now that they've gotten a few performances under their belt.

My big takeaway from Cadets' show is that I need to get acquainted with Bernstein's Mass, so I can understand what they're doing with it and how well. Listening to the original now. This from Wikipedia is interesting:

"The FBI kept a file on Bernstein because of his leftist views. In the summer of 1971, the Bureau warned the White House that the Latin text of the Mass might contain anti-war messages, which could cause embarrassment to President Nixon should he attend the premiere and applaud politely Rumors of such a plot by Bernstein were leaked to the press. According to Gordon Liddy, White House counsel John Dean stated stated that the work was 'definitely anti-war and anti-establishment, etc.' Nixon did not ultimately attend the premiere; Nixon had this decision described in the press as an act of courtesy to Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, because he felt the formal opening 'should really be her night'."