Massillon, Ohio 2017 version 1

2 hours ago, tommynev said:

Do Troopers do spring training in Casper? The 5,100' elevation prob helps a ton with their endurance.

No, they hold it in Lebanon, Indiana.

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not going to do an in-depth review. I had a good time, but that stadium, with its reflective half-roof, is almost too "live" for early-season shows, when all the corps are not only rough (and thus muddy) but also playing pretty consistently at forte or better. When they're both cleaner and playing with much more dynamic control, it works quite well. Right now, I often felt like I was drowning in noise.

Also, every corps except Troopers was noticeably gassed in the later parts of their shows. Which probably means that Troopers' show isn't as difficult. But it still seemed at least as challenging (if perhaps less effective) than what they offered last year.

Bluecoats definitely could repeat.

I agree. It was too loud too often. An older drum corps fans dream for sure. :)  I thoughts Cadets were the only corps to play with lots of dynamic control and never really force the sound. They may have a somewhat younger, or perhaps less experienced brass line, but they sounded really refined and musical.  Great show from them.

Bluecoats can easily repeat. Strong show! Most corps will have a tough time trying to beat them.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm about a third of the way through listening to Bernstein's original, and I wonder if Cadets have too much talk relative to music. So far, there's been maybe 30 seconds of speaking out of 40 minutes of music, but in Cadets' show there's probably 30 seconds of talking out of 12 minutes of music.

I wonder how much they had to negotiate around the arrangements to get permission for their show?  If the estate's reviews of scores, etc. in the interest of maintaining the spirit of the original mandated things like keeping specific chunks of narration, love choral voices, etc. 

7 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Totally unrelated, but I noticed your "Wicked Strong" avatar and realized that the "Wicked" in Boston's "Wicked Games" theme has a whole other meaning considering the Boston/New England slang.

As a matter of fact, I just changed that to my avatar tonight. It is one of the tshirt designs that you can purchase at the Boston souvie booth. It comes in gray, red, and light blue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Because one of the lessons we take from the Salem witch trials is that there were no actual witches.

No. One of the primary lessons we learn is how we and the government treat others that do proclaim that they practice witchcraft, or other worships  or non worships as the case may be. Salem,. Ma. has  a few hundred people living there today that would dispute your claim that " there are no actual witches ". Then or today. What is different today from 1692 however is that so long as they break no laws they can worship or non worship as they see fit without fear of government arrest and prosecution, torture and death. In 1692 the belief and the practice of witchcraft was against the law... punishable by death. Today, there is no US law against the belief and the practice of Witchcraft, or Atheism, nor in any other belief or non belief spiritual or occult practice. In the US Constitution's " Bill of Rights ", its called Freedom of Religion. ( or non religion or non belief if one prefers. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Here is a link to my full review of last night's show.  All the corps were fantastic! 

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jonathan-willis/drum-bugle-corps-massillon-oh/10154434340700806/

• Like 6

9 hours ago, kevingamin said:

Never underestimate Kristy Templin and what she, her staff, and the guard members can do.

Or just chalk it up to one judge popping them a number....after all people said the same last season and I believe her guard was 8th in Indy!

8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Here is a link to my full review of last night's show.  All the corps were fantastic! 

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jonathan-willis/drum-bugle-corps-massillon-oh/10154434340700806/

Thanks for the review.  I was waiting for someone to mention the euphonium solo in Bluecoats ballad.  It was killing me. I was wincing in the theater Thursday.  I agree, get that boy a better horn.