How many of you will be going to a 4th of July Parade?  I know I won't.  Who wants to sit and listen to a row of million dollar fire trucks sounding their sirens.  There may be a bag pipe band, or perhaps one old timers drum corps.  But, nothing else.  In the 60's there were dozens of corps and bands marching in the Patchogue Parade.  There was us the Medford FD Golden Grenadiers, the Selden Cadets, West Sayville Golden Eagles and others at times including the Bohemia Checkmates, Skylarks, and of course the state champion North Patchogue Fire Department Band.  Almost all Volunteer Fire Departments had a band or corp.  But, alas the music has died here on Long Island.  

Remembering the good ole days,

Grenadier

"Bridgeport's Barnum Parade":

While probably not the "Grand Daddy" of July Fourth parades Old Bridgeports Barnum Festival cross town trek is up pretty high on the family tree.  Featuring almost every senior corps from the Appleknockers to the Yankee Rebels (Who had performed in the preceeding evenings "Parade of Champions, and that shows winner leading the march) as well as every junior corps in the Fairfield County area (and beyond) and even Alumni units such as The Caballeros and Archer Epler Musketeers the  parade was a mainstay of drum corps activity in the area.

Sadly the Barnum's drum corps competion is only a memory, and the parade a shadow of it's former self.

Elphaba       :flower:

23 hours ago, Grenadier said:

How many of you will be going to a 4th of July Parade?  I know I won't.  Who wants to sit and listen to a row of million dollar fire trucks sounding their sirens.  There may be a bag pipe band, or perhaps one old timers drum corps.  But, nothing else.  In the 60's there were dozens of corps and bands marching in the Patchogue Parade.  There was us the Medford FD Golden Grenadiers, the Selden Cadets, West Sayville Golden Eagles and others at times including the Bohemia Checkmates, Skylarks, and of course the state champion North Patchogue Fire Department Band.  Almost all Volunteer Fire Departments had a band or corp.  But, alas the music has died here on Long Island.  

Remembering the good ole days,

Grenadier

Sunrisers are very much alive and doing well on Long Island ,and i would say that this years corps has one of the best horn lines ,Should be in the top of DCA this year.They had planned to run a DCA contest on Long Island the last weekend before DCA champion ships .A sunday afternoon show just could not get enought  corps to committ to the show.

This might sound strange... but I've lived in the Baltimore area since 1991 and have yet to attend any of the several July 4th parades in the immediate metro area. LOL.   I have been to the Havre de Grace parade a couple of times, north of Baltimore.

19 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

Sunrisers are very much alive and doing well on Long Island ,and i would say that this years corps has one of the best horn lines ,Should be in the top of DCA this year.They had planned to run a DCA contest on Long Island the last weekend before DCA champion ships .A sunday afternoon show just could not get enought  corps to committ to the show.

I wonder even if they had a show would anyone come.  I know I would and several other old timers.  I think the Sunrisers are just about the last remaining corps on the island.

• Like 1

there planning on doing it again next year ,differce date not slure who they had lined up for this year ,was

told when Skyliners pulled out that was the end for this year.Sun has 50 brass ,really good horn line they should be in the top 5 of DCA this season .

Edited by Florida Sun
added more info.

Skyliners never pulled out of the Long Island show. We were invited when the discussions were going and said no from the beginning. Big difference.

Edited by lcarbonell