where is the new DCI demographic?

I'm sitting in a mostly empty theater at Union Square in Manhattan for the opening night broadcast. And I'm texting with a buddy who says that his theater in south Tulsa typically  opens a second screen for this event.

I expected more here. Not just because this is the biggest city in the US, but it's also the old east coast guard. Backyard of Cadets and Xmen, among others from years ago. (The theaters in NJ and eastern PA may be packed for all I know)

But it leads me to wonder... where is the demographic shifting geographically? In more BOA heavy states? Texas, Cali, Indiana, Oklahoma? Or is there no change at all, and I had skewed expectations?

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 2

Well, my initial guess about why your theater is near empty is this:

1. New York is a big city with lots going on. Not sure how many actual drum corps fans live in Manhattan vs say Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island; but I imagine it would be cheaper and easier for parking and access if they went to suburban theaters. 
  2. More to your point, I do think the demographic has shifted, both for recruiting marchers and for fans.  Most likely to BOA strongholds and states where band is a big deal is where you will find the most interest.  The Midwest, Texas, Florida, Georgia, California and elsewhere. California has been an up-and-coming band state and the fan base for competitive band and corps is really growing out there. Look at all the corps (World, Open, All-Age, Alumni) that have thrived and continue to do well out there. 
  3. The East Coast, which at one time was King, has slowly lost many many corps, and because of it lots of fans. Many of the fans from the old days (30s - 70s) are either no longer with us or they are too old to travel as much and perhaps drum corps no longer fits in their life style.  
  4. Also remember that the East Coast, back in its' glory days, was really about neighborhood corps and rivalries in local competition.  The national tour model was not around in those days. Occasionally a corps would jet off some distance to compete in nationals, but the local shows and fierce rivalries was where it was at.  Many of those old timers do not get into the national touring model, and many have likely not followed DCI for years.  

Just a few observations from my view. 

• Like 5

On the other hand, one of the neat things about the East Coast shows, and in particular Allentown for DCI East, is that the fans that do come out and still follow the activity are some of the best.  There are some great stories flying around Allentown every time I have gone. It's one of the few places where the old meets the new.  It's not like that here in the Midwest.  I often tell people that Allentown is one of the best places to catch a major regional. It's an old stadium with long-time followers of the activity who have amazing stories, and the crowds show their love for all the corps.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I'm sitting in a mostly empty theater at Union Square in Manhattan for the opening night broadcast. And I'm texting with a buddy who says that his theater in south Tulsa typically  opens a second screen for this event.

I expected more here. Not just because this is the biggest city in the US, but it's also the old east coast guard. Backyard of Cadets and Xmen, among others from years ago. (The theaters in NJ and eastern PA may be packed for all I know)

But it leads me to wonder... where is the demographic shifting geographically? In more BOA heavy states? Texas, Cali, Indiana, Oklahoma? Or is there no change at all, and I had skewed expectations?

I went to that theater last year.   This year, I went to 42nd Street.  I don't think they had that theater last year.  It was pretty empty, too.  Plus, they started the telecast late and we missed most of the Crossmen.  As a Crossmen alum, I was angry. I don't know if Manhattan should have three theaters showing it.  Also, other then myself, I only know a few Crossmen alums who work in Manhattan like I do.  Plus, there's no marching band culture in New York City.

With the poor service of the 42nd Street theater, I won't go to them next time.  At one point, I took a bathroom break and all the bathrooms on the floor were closed.  I had to go down to another floor and didn't get back in time for the Crown kick-off.  The theater treated us like an after-thought.  If we hadn't alerted them to turn on the feed, they wouldn't have.

Alhambra, CA ( in L.A. County)  had maybe 25 people in the theater.  Go Inland 25 miles East in Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga, and the theaters are full.  Last year, Rowland Heights was sold out and I had to drive to Orange County to get tickets.

It's weird. 

• Like 1

Northern Virginia has a lot of great high school marching band/music programs, mostly because the counties in this area are very rich and can afford to put a good amount of funding into it (relative to other school districts). 

This has led to a pretty big DCI following in this area too

• Like 3

it's early in the season to spend $20 to watch a bunch of incomplete, dirty shows. some of us are just kind of nuts. 

the theater i go to is usually pretty empty for opening day, but then for QF's they have to open up a 2nd theater. 

• Like 1