where is the new DCI demographic?

My previous experience in Southwest Ohio and in Indiana (two areas with strong interest in HS marching band) - very full theaters with enthusiastic audiences.

My experience this year in Eastern North Carolina (not familiar with the local interest, but the closest band I'm familiar with from BOA is over an hour away and local bands haven't done well at state competitions in recent years) - pretty sparse attendance and the only corps that got a strong response was Crown, which had a group of alums in the house.

This limited sample seems to support the correlation between a strong HS band presence in the area and interest in the DCI theater experience.

8 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Alhambra, CA ( in L.A. County)  had maybe 25 people in the theater.  Go Inland 25 miles East in Ontario/Rancho Cucamonga, and the theaters are full.  Last year, Rowland Heights was sold out and I had to drive to Orange County to get tickets.

It's weird. 

Thursday nights have traditionnally been the worst night of the week for movie theatres since any new movie usually opens up on a Friday.  Selling 25 tickets is better than nothing.

Full theater here, about 70 percent high school band kids.

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Northern Virginia has a lot of great high school marching band/music programs, mostly because the counties in this area are very rich and can afford to put a good amount of funding into it (relative to other school districts). 

This has led to a pretty big DCI following in this area too

Wish there was a DCI Corp in this talent-rich area.

Edited by derek005
change
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lance said:

it's early in the season to spend $20 to watch a bunch of incomplete, dirty shows. some of us are just kind of nuts. 

the theater i go to is usually pretty empty for opening day, but then for QF's they have to open up a 2nd theater. 

ditto in central Ohio

11 minutes ago, derek005 said:

Wish there was a DCI Corp in this talent-rich area.

You and me both