where is the new DCI demographic?

In the Boston area, Big,Loud, and Live sells out quickly and is a available in a good number of theaters. The season opener is available in about a third the number of theaters as BLL and the theaters are pretty full, though not sold out, or so it seems. 

I'm 54. I would say more than half of the audience in Revere where I saw it was older than me.  There were some high school kids and twenty something's. For the opener you usually have fans who attend shows and probably marched. Prelims atttacts s different crowd with a mixed age group and far more young people.

10 minutes ago, garfield said:

where?

Houston

I was in Roseville, MN, and there were close to 100 people in the theater, which was more than usual. I would say it was half college or high school aged kids, and the rest were 40+.

Here in North Carolina, I went to a theater which had two theater rooms completely sold out. I think my two other theaters showing it and they were mostly sold out as well.

In Gainesville, theater was completely full (we have reserved seating tickets, and there was like 6 seats left when I bought my tickets 3 hours beforehand and I saw a girl that couldn't buy tickets because it was full on my way in). Couldn't get a great read on the crowd as it was already dark when I came in but it looked to be about 50/50 on like high schoolers and older people. 

13 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Northern Virginia has a lot of great high school marching band/music programs, mostly because the counties in this area are very rich and can afford to put a good amount of funding into it (relative to other school districts). 

This has led to a pretty big DCI following in this area too

Wait, Cappy, were you at Fairfax?

There were maybe 20  people in attendance at the theater in Mission, Kansas.  I think this is mostly likely due to the marching band programs in the area not being very strong.  However, I heard there was a better turnout at other theaters, such as Olathe.

An article on dci.org reports a preliminary estimated attendance figure of 32,000 nationwide, which is the highest total in the tour premiere event's history.