2017 vs. 2016 - Daily Year Over Year Comparisons

June 28, 2017 vs. June 29, 2016

Only one show with scores so not a lot to report. Madison Scouts put up the greatest score increase (2.50) with no one decreasing in score. The Cavaliers moved up two spots from #5 to #3 while Phantom Regiment moved down two spots from #10 to #12. Music City debuted at #22. 

Several corps put up score increases of 2 points or more: Colts (2.20), Pioneer (2.20), Troopers (2.10), Blue Stars (2.00), & The Cavaliers (2.00). When this happens all at one show, I wonder whether it is real or an anomaly, especially when it has a significant effect on overall placements like it did this day last year. The Cavaliers moved into first place (+3).

Comparison
This day marks an exhibition in California and a competition on the East Coast and in both years, the East Cost show's title corps was The Cavaliers and they benefited from the set up from a scoring/placement perspective. Whether it can be maintained when all the other top corps are in action is the question.

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio

June 29, 2017 vs. June 30, 2016

No shows

Essentially the corps competed that did not compete the prior day on the East Coast and increased about the same amount. In the end, two corps moved up in placement by two spots (The Cadets from #5 to #3 and Boston Crusaders from #14 to #12). Jersey Surf debuted at #19.

On 6/24/2017 at 3:31 PM, George Dixon said:

gotcha. Wasn't sure what we were comparing here - final score I guess. That can be a bit misleading since the scores on finals night tend to spread out and the middle and bottom tend to go lower?

True. It is rare indeed that a 12th place Corps at Finals, has an equal or higher score than they received at Semi Finals. Almost always, that 12th place Corps scores go down at Finals. Does this mean ( for the uninitiated here, not  you George.. you know this ) that the 12th place Corps gave a weaker performance at Finals than they did in the Semi's ? Not neccessarily. They might have even performed a better performance at Finals than at Semi's. Then why did their scores go down ? Thats easy to explain. On Finals Night, the mix of Corps they were competing and compared with, was of higher quality than that found in the Semi's that they were competing with. Thus, the spreads became larger, ergo their lower overall score.

• Like 1

Good analysis and updates from DrumCorpsRadio here..  ' do enjoy reading this. I believe this thread will become more insightful as the season goes along too.... as more head to head matchups occur, especially at Regionals later.

• Like 2

For this year BAC at 7th  shows in the midwest and west.  big point swings 1-2.5 point other than BAC.  hopefully they get a 2 point swing in the next few shows.

7 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:
June 28, 2017 vs. June 29, 2016

Only one show with scores so not a lot to report. Madison Scouts put up the greatest score increase (2.50) with no one decreasing in score. The Cavaliers moved up two spots from #5 to #3 while Phantom Regiment moved down two spots from #10 to #12. Music City debuted at #22. 

How do you figure the Cavaliers moved up from 5th to 3rd? They haven't seen BD or SCV yet? You cannot compare scores from different shows. Nothing against the Cavaliers, but one would be naive to assume BD isn't #1 or #2 right now, and based on how close SCV is to them, they could likely be #3. 

I also do not think Regiment is in 12th right now. If you assume BD is level with Bluecoats, then the spread between BD and Regiment would put BK and Regiment right in line with BAC, and ahead of Madison, Crossmen and Blue Stars (based on their spreads with Cavies and Bluecoats).

I think the above, although perhaps not accurate either, is far more logical than comparing scores from different shows.

Edited by henry7184

It's fun to analyze early season scores, but they are pretty meaningless right now. Most of these competitions are partial panels and the corps are still trying to master the insane demands the designers have written for them. 

On 6/29/2017 at 3:52 PM, henry7184 said:

How do you figure the Cavaliers moved up from 5th to 3rd? They haven't seen BD or SCV yet? You cannot compare scores from different shows. Nothing against the Cavaliers, but one would be naive to assume BD isn't #1 or #2 right now, and based on how close SCV is to them, they could likely be #3. 

I also do not think Regiment is in 12th right now. If you assume BD is level with Bluecoats, then the spread between BD and Regiment would put BK and Regiment right in line with BAC, and ahead of Madison, Crossmen and Blue Stars (based on their spreads with Cavies and Bluecoats).

I think the above, although perhaps not accurate either, is far more logical than comparing scores from different shows.

Thank you for your feedback, but this thread is entirely about listing the corps in the order of the most recent actual received score and comparing what that looks like from one season to the next. If you read back to the beginning, you'll see that the concerns you raised have been addressed throughout. This is not meant to suggest that these are the final rankings or based on actual head-to-head spreads or anything else. Simply a daily reporting of actual scores from one year to the next. 

• Like 3

June 30, 2017 vs. July 1, 2016

Two shows were rained out so there is much less to report than anticipated. Despite five days since the last competitive score for several corps, there were significant increases in scores for the World Class corps in the California show. The highest increase (1.55) went to Santa Clara Vanguard, moving them up to a tie for third with The Cavaliers. Several Open Class corps debuted: Gold in 23rd, Watchmen in 26th, Impulse in 29th, and Incognito in 30th.

We lost several debuts and the potential for large increases due to a few corps that were coming back from a string of rehearsal days with the Allentown and Muncie rainouts. We'll need to wait another day to see what's been going on on the East Coast when corps return to action in Clifton. 

World Class corps with longest competitive score break currently: Blue Devils - 6/25 to 7/1, Carolina Crown - 6/26 to 7/2, Bluecoats - 6/27 to 7/1, The Cadets - 6/27 to 7/2, Crossmen - 6/27 to 7/2, Troopers - 6/27 to 7/2, Colts - 6/27 to 7/2, Spirit of Atlanta - 6/27 to 7/2, Genesis - 6/27 to 7/2.

World Class debuts remaining: Jersey Surf - 7/2, Cascades - 7/7, Oregon Crusaders - 7/7

Open Class debuts remaining: 7th Regiment - 7/2, Legends - 7/2, Raiders - 7/2, River City Rhythm - 7/3, Spartans - 7/3, Shadow - 7/6, Columbians - 7/7, The Battalion - 7/7, Heat Wave - 7/8, Louisiana Stars - 7/14, Southwind - 7/15, Les Stentors - 7/17, Guardians - 7/20

There were some major score changes and a slew of debuts on the equivalent date last season. Nine corps' scores increased by two or more points. Carolina Crown led the way with a 5.05 increase to move up three spots to 1st. A major reset of scores takes place tomorrow shuffling scores and placements back.

The debut performances were: Oregon Crusaders in 19th, Cascades in 21st, Spartans in 23rd, Gold in 27th, Columbians in 28th, Raiders in 31st, Impulse in 32nd, The Battalion in 33rd, Watchmen in 34th, Thunder in 35th, Incognito in 38th.

Comparison

Top 6 corps are the same year over year at this point with some order changes, but things get much more interesting in the 7-12 or even 7-15 range. The top storylines right now are the Boston Crusaders start and whether they can compete to break into the top 6 juggernaut and whether the Mandarins can top their highest ever placement in 2016 with a finals appearance in 2017.

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 1

July 1, 2017 vs. July 2, 2016

I saw the show in Pasadena live tonight. This is my third show (Massillon, Michigan City) in a week and I have now seen nearly all World Class corps live so any commentary here is based on my personal opinions and experiences seeing the corps in close proximity from approximately the same vantage point (50 yard line, at least midway up). 

Things are very interesting at the top. The last time Bluecoats and Carolina Crown were head to head, less than a point separated them. Same with Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard. Theoretically, this puts those four corps in the top 4. However, The Cavaliers and The Cadets have been in a bit of a race as well and with all six corps taking a lot of rehearsal days in the last week, it will be very interesting to see how things shake out when they are all in action on the same night. Conveniently, that happens tomorrow night (7/2). Then we can start hypothesizing about what happens when they are all head-to-head. Right now, Blue Devils and Bluecoats feel like the most complete shows to me with Blue Devils taking the lead from an overall enjoyment perspective. As I've mentioned before I really love 2/3rds of Crown's show and suspect if they used their rehearsal days well (which of course they did), this could become my favorite show. Santa Clara Vanguard is at a much higher level than I was expecting for the time of the year and there are a lot of cool moments in the show. The Cadets clearly had a lot of work to do, but their show has a ton of room to grow. The Cavaliers also have a lot of nice moments although I did not enjoy the show in person as much as I did on the broadcast. I know this does not really say much in the end, but I think all six have a legitimate shot at the title. 

Further down the list, I think Phantom Regiment is vulnerable. The show did not do much for me; I didn't feel the normal Regiment power or story telling coming through and the show concept intrigued me. I'm not particularly fond of Madison Scouts this year either, but I think The Academy and Mandarins are in the position where they could give their veteran finalist brethren a run for their money. I was surprised to see The Academy that far back from Mandarins; they seemed neck and neck to me.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

From a scoring standpoint from tonight. Three corps put up score increases of two or more points: Golden Empire (2.65), Watchmen (2.60), and Blue Devils (2.50). Blue Devils was expected having not competed since June 25 but the other two were just one day between shows. Madison Scouts were the only corps to see a decrease in score (-0.80). On the placement side, Blue Devils moved up three spots to #2 while Carolina Crown moved down three spots to #5 while not in competition. 

Similar to this year, Blue Devils returned from a long rehearsal streak with a big point increase (4.10). One show that appeared to result in much higher scores on the East Coast the day before led to a correction with several scores putting up large point decreases, most significantly affecting Genesis (-8.70). Blue Devils jumped up to the #1 spot. 7th Regiment made its debut in #22. 

Comparison

As of this time last year, 39 corps had competed versus 30 this year. The spreads are almost identical from year to year with corps in different spots. From #1 to #5 in 2016 was 2.15; this year it is 2.00. #1 to #6 last year was 3.50; this year it is 3.50. #1 to #12 last year was 10.05; this year it is 9.10.

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 1