'83 Cadets vs '16 Coats

1983 Cadets vs 2016 Bluecoats  

56 members have voted

1. 1. In ten years or so- which of these shows will we consider being more revolutionary?

• '83 Cadets
    • '16 Coats

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Who did Spartacus in 1991 and 1992? :) Regiment did in 1981 and 1982.

Thanks. [Note to self - check my post before I submit reply].

Edited by mrk
forgot to check my post before I clicked submit
  • Like 1

I'm still surprised by the number of people selecting Bluecoats in this poll. 

A lot of the stuff presented in Bluecoats' show had already been done before. 

WGI costumes? BD 2012 

Moveable props used as platforms? Many corps prior 

Body movements/dance breaks? Many corps prior 

An extensive and complex speaker system? Bluecoats themselves in 2015 

Trumpet screamers and grooving melodic lines? Take a look at Madison and BD from the 80's and 90's (and other corps too)

I think the only true pioneering element in Bluecoats 2016 program was that insane pit setup where the members had earpieces to hear each other over a long expanse of field. But I bet you that's not the main reason why people feel that Bluecoats 2016 was so forward thinking. 

Yes, Bluecoats did put all those things I mentioned above into one cohesive and polished show, but I don't quite see how this one show in particular is more revolutionary than Cadets 1983. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

A lot of the stuff presented in Bluecoats' show had already been done before.  

And by them.  Several similarities to last year.  Opening body movement; playing from up high; running down a ramp instead of sliding; single soloists up high; a drill block or two; a screamer (is he also Irish?) in the closer playing a similar piece.  Maybe a wink come finals night.

5 hours ago, KPinCAL said:

So I go back and check out some '82 Cadets on youtube and noticed something we don't see anymore (at the end of the video) Another corps waiting to go on- practically on the field. 

Because finals was being broadcast live on PBS  there was less time between Corps.  Also, lots more Corps back then so they were used to going one right after another.  Evolved from the AL/VFW era - while one Corps was on field, the next was in side 1 end zone undergoing inspection.

• Like 2

1983 was nothing short of revolutionary for the activity with what the Cadets did in '83, not only on the field, but what it did off the field as well. It literally changed the competitive landscape of DCI itself. For example, a mere 3 years before ( 1980) the East had 5 Corps in the DCI TOP 12 at Finals... with 2 of the 3 medals being won by Corps located in the Northeast. When the Cadets won their 1st DCI Title in 1983 with Bernsteins " Mass " theme, they then were able to separate themselves from the rest of the pack in the east. They then proceeded to completely dominate every other East Corps Corps for the next 3 decades. No other Corps even remotely challenged that hegemony in the northeast. The Cadets have been that good. And as such, have dominated the East to this very day. So THATS  how the 1983 Cadets Corps/ show has been such a transformative event. it literally changed the DCI landscape both on and off the field. The 2016 Bluecoats, as fine a production as it was, pales to the transformative nature that the 1983 Cadets Corps/show had on this activity, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

1983 was nothing short of revolutionary for the activity with what the Cadets did in '83, not only on the field, but what it did off the field as well. It literally changed the competitive landscape of DCI itself. For example, a mere 3 years before ( 1980) the East had 5 Corps in the DCI TOP 12 at Finals... with 2 of the 3 medals being won by Corps located in the Northeast. When the Cadets won their 1st DCI Title in 1983 with Bernsteins " Mass " theme, they then were able to separate themselves from the rest of the pack in the east. They then proceeded to completely dominate every other East Corps Corps for the next 3 decades. No other Corps even remotely challenged that hegemony in the northeast. The Cadets have been that good. And as such, have dominated the East to this very day. So THATS  how the 1983 Cadets Corps/ show has been such a transformative event. it literally changed the DCI landscape both on and off the field. The 2016 Bluecoats, as fine a production as it was, pales to the transformative nature that the 1983 Cadets Corps/show had on this activity, imo.

Very well said

• Like 1

Obviously it's tough to debate these things. There are several shows that led to Garfield 83, just as several important shows led to Star of Indiana 1993, and several important shows led to Bluecoats 2016.  I would also include Cavaliers 2002 in there. 

Without getting too much into detail I would put it this way: The Bluecoats of 2016 may prove to be just as important to this era of drum corps as Garfield was in 1983, or Star in 1993, or the Cavaliers in 2002. There are many other shows we can discuss that fill in the gaps. It's difficult for any corps today to perhaps have as great an impact on the activity as those from the 70s and 80s (like Garfield 83, Santa Clara 80, 27th Lancers 80).  Back then corps were still using 2-valve bugles (some were still using 1 piston valve with 1 rotor). Things had not escalated yet with pit, visual design (remember there were lots of rules on how to enter the field prior to the DCI days), and the quality of music training was not as high (at least not with all corps).  Most professional instructors today have degrees (often Masters of Music) whereas back in the day that was not the case.  

It's more difficult to make a huge paradigm shift in today's drum corps scene, and yet I do feel the Bluecoats have done that. We already see the changes in how props are designed and used, how electronics can enhance a show if used right, the use of costumes, staging and more.  And much like the past, where Garfield has precursor shows that also helped to pave the way (SCV, 27th Lancers), The Bluecoats have been aided in this arena by Blue Devils and Carolina Crown.  But it's Blooo that has most successfully shifted the design palette and we are starting to see the other corps take notice.   

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

They may have been born after 83.

I was born in '95

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'd say '83 Cadets, but I imagine the young crowd will say Bluecoats 2016.  The latest revolution is always the best one...