Drum harnesses...a rant

Time for another either drum corps rant...this time about the drum lines...specifically, the snare and tenor harnesses.

Dear corps directors...when you have a predominately white top with your new unis -- the ones that don't allow for the harness to be worn underneath the top -- is it TOO much to ask that you paint the #### thing to match? Or at least use a chrome rig?

Looking at YOU, Santa Clara Vanguard, with your huge BLACK harnesses over a white top...REALLY destroys the look you're going for, especially when the harness also covers the red splash up top.

This is nothing new, of course...I still wonder how Bill Cook couldn't afford a can of black paint or 2 when he funded Star of Indiana for 1985....pink jackets, black pants....and that "nice" splash of white sticking out from the bottom of the jacket.

Come on, you guys...Bloo at least had white and chrome hardware last year...AND they painted the shoulder hooks to match the shirt underneath. Can't you guys put a LITTLE effort into it? (Again....SCV take note)

Bloo gets a pass this year because the black shoulder hooks and belly pad DOES match with the rest of the white uni/black trim Bob Fosse look they're going with this year.

But SCV??? In the words of George Zingali..."Are you shittin' me?"

• Like 3

The black harnesses on the white pants from 2016 always irked me as well, and they never fixed it. What baffles me is Dynasty definitely makes white harnesses...at least they did when Phantom was still playing them. Maybe not anymore. 

There are plenty of ways to get a harness to match the uniform other than painting them. But I think the common thing you'll about this is it's June. If that staff want to get rid of the black harnesses (which I agree they should do something with them), then it's already being worked on.

40 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Time for another either drum corps rant...this time about the drum lines...specifically, the snare and tenor harnesses.

Dear corps directors...when you have a predominately white top with your new unis -- the ones that don't allow for the harness to be worn underneath the top -- is it TOO much to ask that you paint the #### thing to match? Or at least use a chrome rig?

Looking at YOU, Santa Clara Vanguard, with your huge BLACK harnesses over a white top...REALLY destroys the look you're going for, especially when the harness also covers the red splash up top.

This is nothing new, of course...I still wonder how Bill Cook couldn't afford a can of black paint or 2 when he funded Star of Indiana for 1985....pink jackets, black pants....and that "nice" splash of white sticking out from the bottom of the jacket.

Come on, you guys...Bloo at least had white and chrome hardware last year...AND they painted the shoulder hooks to match the shirt underneath. Can't you guys put a LITTLE effort into it? (Again....SCV take note)

Bloo gets a pass this year because the black shoulder hooks and belly pad DOES match with the rest of the white uni/black trim Bob Fosse look they're going with this year.

But SCV??? In the words of George Zingali..."Are you shittin' me?"

I would not want to be the guy that had to constantly re-paint those rigs when the paint peeled from wear and tear and heat exposure...

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Most groups just put fabric over the harness in winter if they want to blend it in  

^

I'm sure we'll see some of this soon. In many cases you don't do the work until you see how the costume looks and moves live.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

In this vein, I was just thinking this morning that it probably won't be long before someone develops some sort of a panel that fits on the front of the harnesses and can be covered with the uniform fabric, or some such. 

There's not much point to having your stretchy new custom printed outfit if you are going to conceal it all under tubing and fasteners. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

In this vein, I was just thinking this morning that it probably won't be long before someone develops some sort of a panel that fits on the front of the harnesses and can be covered with the uniform fabric, or some such. 

There's not much point to having your stretchy new custom printed outfit if you are going to conceal it all under tubing and fasteners. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Knew as soon as I read that that someone was going to post this ... but the coaster harnesses fit with the theme so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've always been peeved by visible harnesses, but any attempt whatsoever to blend them in with the look is a-ok with me.

Edit: I would be so happy if SCV decided to bring back a show with Send in the Clowns and went with this costume for the full corps.  The ensuing arguments on here would be beyond entertaining.

Edited by Musicman1084