That time-tested saying....

On 6/25/2017 at 5:53 PM, PopcornEater1963 said:

I have to wonder what joy people get out of trashing 17-22 year old kids who are busting their ### for 16 hours a day to make themselves better.

I don't disagree with you at all, but you should realize that criticism is rarely, if ever, directed at the kids. It may not always be clear in the way posts are worded, but complaints are typically about the adults (designers, staff, admin, etc).

Just now, jpaul said:

I don't disagree with you at all, but you should realize that criticism is rarely, if ever, directed at the kids. It may not always be clear in the way posts are worded, but complaints are typically about the adults (designers, staff, admin, etc).

And I certainly don't disagree with you...but when a 17-18 year old kid reads "That show was an unbearable trainwreck" they don't make that discernment. 

• Like 5

Just now, PopcornEater1963 said:

And I certainly don't disagree with you...but when a 17-18 year old kid reads "That show was an unbearable trainwreck" they don't make that discernment. 

I know.

Popcorn: Like it or not while some in DCI still tout it as being ‘for the kids’ the top tier of DCI has mainly become an adult playground for the Directors and Staff who utilize the youth for their own purposes.  Of course they will deny it on the surface,  But many Directors and Staff do choose to make cultural statements to the fans in a public manner utilizing 17 – 18 year old performers in their corps as their communication vehicle (for example sexual connotation statements like The Core of Temptation).  Also think about who are inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame. youth performers or adult staff?  So, once those Directors and Staff place the 17 – 18 year old kids in the line of fire for their own adult means how can you be surprised when those on DCP fire back with their own blunt adult opinions?

Edited by Stu

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Popcorn: Like it or not while some in DCI still tout it as being ‘for the kids’ the top tier of DCI has mainly become an adult playground for the Directors and Staff who utilize the youth for their own purposes.  Of course they will deny it on the surface,  But many Directors and Staff do choose to make cultural statements to the fans in a public manner utilizing 17 – 18 year old performers in their corps as their communication vehicle (for example sexual connotation statements like The Core of Temptation).  Also think about who are inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame. youth performers or adult staff?  So, once those Directors and Staff place the 17 – 18 year old kids in the line of fire for their own adult means how can you be surprised when those on DCP fire back with their own blunt adult opinions?

If they are specific opinions, and are specifically stated...I can't. But again..."That show was a never ending trainwreck..." is not a specific opinion...it's a whine...and isn't directed at anyone...and pretty much renders the statement worthless. If others choose to air their specific opinions about staff, design, etc. I don't know how in the world to stop that. If you feel a director/staff are making a cultural statement you disagree with...then specifically point it out...and let people discuss it. Again...a far cry from the unspecified posts I've seen since opening day. Just my 2 cents of course. 

1 minute ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

If they are specific opinions, and are specifically stated...I can't. But again..."That show was a never ending trainwreck..." is not a specific opinion...it's a whine...and isn't directed at anyone...and pretty much renders the statement worthless. If others choose to air their specific opinions about staff, design, etc. I don't know how in the world to stop that. If you feel a director/staff are making a cultural statement you disagree with...then specifically point it out...and let people discuss it. Again...a far cry from the unspecified posts I've seen since opening day. Just my 2 cents of course. 

I have re-read through many past threads and I cannot find the downright 'mean nastiness' directed toward youth you claim is on here.  However, I have found the whining in which you refer.  But If whines on DCP bother you I wonder how apoplectic you get when you hear what is said by adults engaging their kids in The Little League World Series, or National Competitive Dance (ie Dance Moms) or National Cheer-Leading.  DCI touts itself as a Major League!!!  And just like with The Little League World Series, National Competitive Dance, and National Competitive Cheer-Leading with that comes all the ' whining' baggage a top-tier competitive organization takes on. Just my 2 cents of course. 

I agree with you that statements made on DCP can be brutal but I don't agree with you when you refer to 18 to 22 year olds as kids. They are, in fact, young adults who should be able to handle the critical opinions of those of us on DCP regardless of how mean spirited they are. Young adults need to learn to be resilient and to be cognizant that their are some people in this world who are just mean spirited and rude. Speaking of being rude, I think your citing of the notion that "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" is a bit nauseating. If all you ever say to the "kids" is nice things then they are never going to grow up and be prepared to face the world as it truly is. In other words these young adults need to learn the difference between #### and Shinola and DCP certainly has plenty of both.

We have a lot of 18 to 22 year olds in our arm forces dealing with the evils of this world and I would hope that if these young adults can handle the darkness and brutality of war then those who our spending their life having fun in the sun playing Drum and Bugle Corps should be able to handle the negative statements made on DCP. Yes, I know they work hard, but that doesn't mean we should envelop them in some sort of security blanket to make sure nobody's feelings get hurt. God forbid we harsh anyone's buzz.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bsader said:

I agree with you that statements made on DCP can be brutal but I don't agree with you when you refer to 18 to 22 year olds as kids. They are, in fact, young adults who should be able to handle the critical opinions of those of us on DCP regardless of how mean spirited they are. Young adults need to learn to be resilient and to be cognizant that their are some people in this world who are just mean spirited and rude. Speaking of being rude, I think your citing of the notion that "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" is a bit nauseating. If all you ever say to the "kids" is nice things then they are never going to grow up and be prepared to face the world as it truly is. In other words these young adults need to learn the difference between #### and Shinola and DCP certainly has plenty of both.

We have a lot of 18 to 22 year olds in our arm forces dealing with the evils of this world and I would hope that if these young adults can handle the darkness and brutality of war then those who our spending their life having fun in the sun playing Drum and Bugle Corps should be able to handle the negative statements made on DCP. Yes, I know they work hard, but that doesn't mean we should envelop them in some sort of security blanket to make sure nobody's feelings get hurt. God forbid we harsh anyone's buzz.

You must have missed what I followed up that statement with which was an invitation to constructive criticism, as opposed to general negativity that is not actionable but simply mean-spirited. These young adults get PLENTY of actionable criticism every day in rehearsal. So the notion of "If you don't have something nice to say..." was meant more for spectators rather than stakeholders like the corps itself or the staff that is directing them. When I spoke to my son in Indy, he kind of laughed off the whole thing. He said the Vets in the corps that read DCP already know the usernames and personas of the haters, and they readily discount if not even laugh at some of the more mean-spirited posts. Just seems like a pointless exercise. I'm not a gambling man, but I would bet no staff ever changed a show based on a negative post from a spectator on DCP. I'm not suggesting these young men and women can't handle criticism, because they do every day they are out there from their own staffs. What I am suggesting is that broad negative statements like "That show was a trainwreck" from spectators are a waste of electrons on a message board. And I'm moving on from this topic.