That time-tested saying....

17 minutes ago, Bsader said:

I agree and had actually edited my post to include a statement similar to yours but somehow it got lost due to my ineptness with social media. Most importantly, I would want to add that I've seen some of the performances of the current day Corps and witnessed the obvious pride they have in their Corps and in their performances. I'm not at all worried for them. I'm sure they can take a punch. 

I removed it because I'm just not going to let posters on here get under my skin.  And I posted that out of frustration.  I counted to ten, took a deep breath, and removed it.  But I agree.  They're tough kids and have much bigger fish to fry during drum corps season. 

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

Yes, and no.  What I imagine actually goes through the youth's head, even if he is clearly the more polite person and doesn't say it out loud to the person telling him that his 'performance rather sucked", is "Are you my caption head or tech?  Or section leader?  I'll take that criticism from them, because they know what we're trying to do, and they know exactly how we screwed up, and I respect their opinion.  But if you're just some fat old f---  from the stands who  walked down here and thinks the price of your ticket entitles you to tell me that my performance sucked, well you can just go die in a fire."

And I think that thought process would probably be the same every generation.

This. 

I realize my original post might have implied that young adults can't take tough feedback. That wasn't what I meant. The post above captures what I was trying to say.  2 years ago Atlanta CV had a really rough show in the Georgia Dome at the Southeastern Regional. And the senior staff, caption heads, techs all let them know it. They basically told them that they collectively "#### the bed". These folks can process that feedback from staff because they know the staff genuinely cares about excellence and they all knew the run was sub-par. Same with audition camps...same with dealing with the Physical Training Staff. They'll let any of these MM's know in no uncertain terms when they aren't meeting expectations. Fans, on the other hand, who have no relation to what is going on on the field or in rehearsal approaching a MM to notify them that in their expert opinion that their show "sucked"? Well...I don't have words to explain why anyone would want to do that. Moving on to more pleasant discussions. 

Edited by PopcornEater1963

Just now, Stu said:

Sort of how the fans at Fenway treat the Red Sox differently than the Yankees!

Or even how the fans treated the Lancer's and North Star differently than the Crusader's. I'm sure the Lancer's and the North Star didn't take much guff from anyone but they were nicer than we were. They also didn't leave much to criticize. But enough about the past as that is for the hysterical or historical section of DCP.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:53 PM, PopcornEater1963 said:

Parent of a first year DCI MM this year. And just wondering if the whole notion of "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" has ever been introduced to this community. I really don't mind at all reading constructive criticism of all the corps as long as that's what it is. But when it turns mean, rude, vitriolic, and just crusty, I have to wonder what joy people get out of trashing 17-22 year old kids who are busting their ### for 16 hours a day to make themselves better. 

My kid marched 2 years of DCA so I stayed mainly in the DCA section of Drum Corps Planet. And for the most part, that seems to be a fairly polite community that encourages all the corps in the activity. In one month of posting here, ( and now 4 days of shows rolling out), I've seen things posted about the shows, the corps, the staffs, etc. that simply make my heart hurt. 

Criticism? Sure... "I think XYZ Corps could improve by doing ABC"...for sure...bring it on.  

Nastiness? No..."This show is an absolute trainwreck. The whole staff should be fired and the kids sent home tomorrow."  Nope. Not appropriate. 

Rant over. 

Sorry boss. In an open forum, anything is appropriate, other than profanity of course.. If you don't like it, don't read it. BTW, this the very reason some young people are not prepared for the real world. You can't protect them from what is really going on. Like my father told me when I was about 6 years old and I said 'That's not fair". His reply was 'Life's not fair, get used to it now".  Best advice I've ever gotten in my life.

Just now, PopcornEater1963 said:

This. 

I realize my original post might have implied that young adults can't take tough feedback. That wasn't what I meant. THE post above captures what I was trying to say.  2 years ago Atlanta CV had a really rough show in the Georgia Dome at the Southeastern Regional. And the senior staff, caption heads, techs all let them know it. They basically told them that they collectively "#### the bed". These folks can process that feedback from staff because they know the staff genuinely cares about excellence and they all knew the run was sub-par. Same with audition camps...same with dealing with the Physical Training Staff. They'll let any of these MM's know in no uncertain terms when they aren't meeting expectations. Fans, on the other hand, who have no relation to what is going on on the field or in rehearsal approaching a MM to notify them that in their expert opinion that their show "sucked"? Well...I don't have words to explain why anyone would want to do that. Moving on to more pleasant discussions. 

I don't have words to explain why they would want to say that either but they do and I'm sure the Corps members can handle it. I would also like to add that their are more than a few fans who do have expert opinions that are worthy of being paid attention to by any and all Corps staff members. I'm not one of them as I was away from Drum Corps for 30 years. I know that you are not implying that all fans are ignorant but I thought the point should be made.

2 minutes ago, Bsader said:

I don't have words to explain why they would want to say that either but they do and I'm sure the Corps members can handle it. I would also like to add that their are more than a few fans who do have expert opinions that are worthy of being paid attention to by any and all Corps staff members. I'm not one of them as I was away from Drum Corps for 30 years. I know that you are not implying that all fans are ignorant but I thought the point should be made.

Oh...I'm well aware that there is a lot of expertise on this board. Know several posters personally. But all the ones I know in person would never position feedback in any more than a critical analysis kind of way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

In my experience, I have found youth who excel at high-demand activities and work hard for those achievements tend to listen closely to the adults who have more experience and wisdom, and they are not nearly as narcissistic as those youth which live in the world of having everything provided for them while being sheltered from criticism by adults.

The key factor is 'wisdom'. 'Experience' is just time-served. Especially in looking at the FaceBook groups, it is 'Wisdom' that seems to be in short supply. There is oodles of 'Experience' there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yogitom said:

Sorry boss. In an open forum, anything is appropriate, other than profanity of course.. If you don't like it, don't read it. BTW, this the very reason some young people are not prepared for the real world. You can't protect them from what is really going on. Like my father told me when I was about 6 years old and I said 'That's not fair". His reply was 'Life's not fair, get used to it now".  Best advice I've ever gotten in my life.

This is terrible logic. Profanity shouldn't be allowed, but saying something like "I hope you get cancer" is? "The world isn't fair" is a poor excuse for having no class, and that toxicity has nothing to do with the kids, who put up with way more of that in the world today than any previous generation. They don't need shelter or exposure, don't use that as a excuse for immaturity. 

5 hours ago, yogitom said:

Sorry boss. In an open forum, anything is appropriate, other than profanity of course.

This is not true. The mods here do more than just censor profanity. If posts are deemed inappropriate or against the forum rules, they are removed. If a poster does enough breaking of the rules, they are removed. If a thread deteriorates from constructive discussion to general squabbling, the thread is locked. In that regard, this is not an open forum, but a fairly tightly moderated one.