Pittsburgh Pileup - Tuesday, June 27

18 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Agree. The partial panels are so for all corps. The biggest impact would be to not have a GE judge. Otherwise, you aren't going to see much if any difference between relative placements. Though, you could see a difference with total scores, since one of the judging requirements is to fundamentally place Corps relative to each other, as opposed to a perfect score.

Well, if there essentially no difference in a 5 person panel and a full panel in the scores/ spreads/ placements, then its logical to assume that Regionals and Championships would have " 5 person panels " too. Otherwise, why bring in larger panels if there is essentially.. as being alleged here... there is" little to no difference " ?   if there is no difference, and the claim is to " save money " then why not go with 5 person panels all year then ? This way, DCI could save even MORE money in the process of the small, incomplete panels that we are being told essentially " makes no difference" anyway in the placements/ scores/spreads.

Edited by BRASSO

There is a difference, because the areas not being judged are not being judged. But the relative positions of placement are rarely impacted, because early in the season the gaps are too large. When scores climb into the high 80s and above, three tenths of a point can be the difference between third and fifth.

The one area that has to be judged is GE. GE is, by design, the most dominant score. If you take GE out, then the other scores become disproportionately important, relative to each other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

So much misinformation. This is untrue. Show sponsors do indeed have a say in whether or not they want or receive full panels or partial panels at their shows. West coast show sponsors have requested them in the past.. were willing to foot the bill for it... and got DCI to approve it. So I don't know where you got your misinformation that " the local show sponsors have no input " on whether or not they full or partial panels, but thank you for at least proving me the opportunity to clear up that misinformation if its out there regarding show sponsors having a take it or leave proposition from DCI with " no input" on the matter. They do.

Not misinformation.  I don't believe I said it was a "take it or leave it" proposition.  Yes, the west coast gets a few more 8 judge panels, but that is at the request of the those corps more so than any show sponsors...although a good chunk of the west shows are sponsored by the corps.

Prior to July 4 there are only 8 west coast shows (7 in CA) yet almost 20 on the eastern side of the country.   The number of 5 judge panel shows, mostly in the east, does allow the opportunity for some significant savings...which does benefit the corps, not just the show sponsors.

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Well, if there essentially no difference in a 5 person panel and a full panel in the scores/ spreads/ placements, then its logical to assume that Regionals and Championships would have " 5 person panels " too. Otherwise, why bring in larger panels if there is essentially.. as being alleged here... there is" little to no difference " ?   if there is no difference, and the claim is to " save money " then why not go with 5 person panels all year then ? This way, DCI could save even MORE money in the process of the small, incomplete panels that we are being told essentially " makes no difference" anyway in the placements/ scores/spreads.

Think you're missing the point...the MAJOR factor is early season (incomplete shows, lower achievement level) vs mid and later season shows (complete shows, higher achievement level).  And I also think you are missing the point that this is the way the corps want it.

16 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Not misinformation.  I don't believe I said it was a "take it or leave it" proposition.  Yes, the west coast gets a few more 8 judge panels, but that is at the request of the those corps more so than any show sponsors...although a good chunk of the west shows are sponsored by the corps.

Prior to July 4 there are only 8 west coast shows (7 in CA) yet almost 20 on the eastern side of the country.   The number of 5 judge panel shows, mostly in the east, does allow the opportunity for some significant savings...which does benefit the corps, not just the show sponsors.

I responded to your comment above that show sponsors have ( your words ) " no input :" on the size of judging panels at their shows. That comment was inaccurate.. I see no reason for me to repeat that again.  For what its worth, the other commentary you have provided on this seems fine to me  however.

Edited by BRASSO

28 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Think you're missing the point...the MAJOR factor is early season (incomplete shows, lower achievement level) vs mid and later season shows (complete shows, higher achievement level).  And I also think you are missing the point that this is the way the corps want it.

No. I do not believe that I am " missing the point ".  I never stated above that incomplete panels is not what the Corps want. As a matter of fact, very little happens in DCI unless the Corps agree to it,. I made no opinion on this practice above either.

Edited by BRASSO

19 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

For the final time...the west coast DCI corps requested the large panels...not the sponsors.  Enough.

Yup.. enough. The Corps don't foot the bill for the larger panels, OBG.  Show sponsors " have input " on judging panel size. Not " no input ". Enough of this. Lets move on.

Edited by BRASSO

Bluecoats' encore:

DCI17Pitts-08Encore_zps3cdhcgcl.jpg

• Like 2