Harrowing Hamilton - June 26th, 2017

1 minute ago, Narrow said:

That could get messy, but I'm really interested in seeing how they further deconstruct the field.

I hesitate to mention this but I had a hard time hearing the percussion equipment on the rolling triangles last night. 

1 minute ago, Narrow said:

That could get messy, but I'm really interested in seeing how they further deconstruct the field.

I can't promise that everyone will love the show once they start adding more layers...I've learned my lesson there...but it will help to convey the theme.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crownisking said:

I can't promise that everyone will love the show once they start adding more layers...I've learned my lesson there...but it will help to convey the theme.

Agreed!  I do think that for all the people that are currently thinking that this show may not stack up to Bloo, BD, SCV, and Cavies by the end of the season may have to change their minds.

4 minutes ago, Narrow said:

Something like this maybe:

"On the one hand, true to the Western tradition that controls not only in theory, but in practice (in the principle of its practice) the relationships between speech and writing, Saussure does not recognise in the latter more than a narrow and derivative function. Narrow because it is nothing but one modality among others, a modality of the events which can befall a language whose essence, as the facts seem to show, can remain forever uncontaminated by writing. 'Language does have an oral tradition that is independent of writing' (Cours de linguistique générale). Derivative because representative signifier of the first signifier, representation of the self-present voice, of the immediate, natural, and direct signification of the meaning (of the signified, of the concept, of the ideal object or what have you). Saussure takes up the traditional definition of writing which, already in Plato and Aristotle, was restricted to the model of phonetic script and the language of words. Let us recall the Aristotelian definition: 'Spoken words are the symbols of mental experience and written words are the symbols of spoken words.' Saussure: 'Language and writing are two distinct systems of signs; the second exists for the sole purpose of representing the first'. This representative determination, beside communicating without a doubt essentially with the idea of the sign, does not translate a choice or an evaluation, does not betray a psychological or metaphysical presupposition peculiar to Saussure; it describes or rather reflects the structure of a certain type of writing: phonetic writing, which we use and within whose element the epistémè in general (science and philosophy), and linguistics in particular, could be founded. One should, moreover, say mode, rather than structure; it is not a question of a system constructed and functioning perfectly, but of an ideal explicitly directing a functioning which in fact is never completely phonetic. In fact, but also for reasons of essence to which I shall frequently return. To be sure this factum of phonetic writing is massive; it commands our entire culture and our entire science, and it is certainly not just one fact among others. Nevertheless it does not respond to any necessity of an absolute and universal essence. Using this as a point of departure, Saussure defines the project and object of general linguistics: 'The linguistic object is not defined by the combination of the written word and the spoken word: the spoken form alone constitutes the object'."

• Like 1

Bloo killed it tonight! This is the run we've been waiting for. The euph solo was dropped an octave. It was better ... not perfect but better. But the rest of the show slayed!

• Like 9

Just now, Cappybara said:

With all due respect, when most people see a big block of text like that with no breaks in between, their inclination is to not read it lol

With all due respect, that was exactly my intention.

(I do know someone who took a class from Derrida, but I don't pretend to understand deconstructionism myself!)

• Like 2