Alumni Horn Lines - Which bugles

What bugles. are the Alumni corps playing.  Do different corps use different instruments.   I was a child of the 60's an played a single valve with rotary.  Just curious.

Grenadier

I think that most Alumni use the instruments used in the past, i.e. G bugles, whatever they can "drum" up (excuse the bad pun).  I know that Les Diplomates use modern instruments (Bb and F), with an Eb tuba thrown in for good measure. Also they have a sax.  Preston Scout House also use Bb/F instruments, but, then, that's what they used BITD.

• 2 weeks later...

The Westshoremen Alumni used whatever horns we could scrounge both in G and B Flat. Many of the Lead upper brass used their pro Trumpets. There was some discussion at one point regarding using a feature Trombone.

Keep in mind we were always looking at doing something different- we even had a rhythm section play with us at one point. Great moment.

Cabs Alumni is all G. For the most everyone is on 3 valve but that changes from season to season as membership changes. We occasionally will have a 2 valve or two in the line but that's because that's what that person has or likes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hamburg Kingsmen Alumni uses G Bugles (both 3 and 2 Valve).

Many of the Alumni corps I've been familiar with (including mine) allowed members to bring and perform on their own horns if they could perform on them.

SCV Alumni, for example, had people on everything - some 2-valve Gs, some 3-valve, and of course lots of Bb horns.

• 9 months later...

I can recall single ,double and three valves for the 27 Alumni corps ...even a rotary or two  at one time ...rusty but if they would make a sound we used them.They were placed over time but to get instruments in the hands of folks who had not played for 20 years plus was a trip!!

Hanover Lancers have 3 valve G horns. Think each section is using the same manufacturer which of course helps the tone. And the corps finished going to 3v just before the market dried up.

1 hour ago, Kamarag said:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when (or even if) alumni corps get an influx of members from the Bb/F era. Will they be willing to switch instruments...or repertoire?

Well, we (Les Dips) solved that problem - we use Bb/F instruments and all our members (so far) came from the G era.  Much easier to recruit future members when using modern instruments.  Repertoire is "classic" drum corps repertoire, but with modern arrangements.