Rules Questions

In a show this year there is a looped sample of ‘man’ and it repeats in time for a long while, at least 30 seconds.  I saw the conductor keeping time with it so it a funky metronome. My understanding is that DCI checked Bluecoats’ pits earphone monitors to make sure there wasn’t a click track so why is this acceptable? There is a much shorter sound effect later in the show that repeats and could be used to set up the beat so what give?

While we’re at it, what’s with amplifying the entire brass line, I thought the limit was on 12 members and don’t recall any rule changes, anyone know about that?

Asking here because the DCI Roundtable branch seems abandon

Number 1: There is a pulse, but no actual clicktrack.  It has a rhythm, but it isnt actually a metronome.  I dont think the dude narration is a constant beat either.

Number 2: IDK

1 minute ago, cowtown said:

You can put a human voice in Dr Beat, if it keeps time it’s a metronome  

I agree. 

For me the audio doping of the music played on the field is outahdabag. No way to get rules around this now. 

I just expect to get a great deal more of it and have given up on any feelings toward it. (in other words I'm out of  F  ks to give) In my opinion if last years blue coats show is any indication of what is coming then either you sit back and take it. .... or in my case I use my own judgement on if a horn line really is good or not. Sometimes that gets blurred due to all the audio doping but it is what it is ...NO?

I think it's only a matter of time until the high end corps have clip mics on every bell. 

There are no rules against the use of click-tracks. There never has been, actually, despite the rumors of DCI stormtroopers checking equipment (DCI hasn't looked at anyone's gear seriously since 2009). Additionally, I'm pretty sure the "rhythmic intent" rule was eliminated years ago (it was eliminated in DCA for this year).

Edited by Kamarag

50 minutes ago, Western Burger said:

I think it's only a matter of time until the high end corps have clip mics on every bell. 

Go even further, it's only a matter of time until some corps has a completely amazing 12-16 voice brass choir, amplified for the whole show. With 120 GE-maximizing color guard members on the field behind them. It's not clear that there's anything preventing you from winning High Brass with such an arrangement, as long as the players have enough visual contribution to satisfy "simultaneous responsibilities".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

Go even further, it's only a matter of time until some corps has a completely amazing 12-16 voice brass choir, amplified for the whole show. With 120 GE-maximizing color guard members on the field behind them. It's not clear that there's anything preventing you from winning High Brass with such an arrangement, as long as the players have enough visual contribution to satisfy "simultaneous responsibilities".

That would be awesome.

32 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

I believe SCV is essentially doing that right now, with around fifteen brass players miced the entire time. It was pretty evident on the FLo stream, especially during the technical moments (sounding almost artificially clean) and the end of the show (where they reverb was way to hot and carried far longer on the final release than a unamplified release would have).

• Like 1