Rules Questions

18 minutes ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

From a practical standpoint, everyone marching having in-ears would never work. Because the performers are moving around, the delays would have to be adjusted in REAL TIME for EACH PERFORMER. As of right now, that technology doesn't exists; but I'm sure someone is working on it :-D

It exists, but you'd have to have one hell of a speaker management system to do it, like multiple DriveRacks...one for each monitor and with more time consuming delay programming than I'd ever want to spend figuring out. The math on that one would be mind-boggling.

8 hours ago, Kamarag said:

There are no rules against the use of click-tracks. There never has been, actually, despite the rumors of DCI stormtroopers checking equipment (DCI hasn't looked at anyone's gear seriously since 2009). Additionally, I'm pretty sure the "rhythmic intent" rule was eliminated years ago (it was eliminated in DCA for this year).

pretty much i think WGI percussion is the only place that still has it

7 hours ago, Kamarag said:

For all we know, it was nothing more than, "Hey, what you guys got going on with the in-ears?" as a matter of curiosity, and not rules enforcement.

actually if i'm a judge, knowing is a good thing. Being able to reference it during the show could help give good feedback

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Why is that comparison off base? They both are meant to enhance performance. 

A click track pretty much eliminates one of the challenges of marching and playing with 100+ other members over a vast area - keeping time. 

It would help eliminate ensemble tears which still happen even to the best of corps

it could make them worse too if a section goes off the rails. Remember technology doesnt cure all.

Click tracks would cause quite a bit of ensemble issues. Time has to be interpreted differently, constantly. Depending on who is playing, where they are playing,  and their distance between others who are playing. It's why how a lot of groups use a Dr. Beat makes no sense... but that is a different subject. 

The original rules on electronics were very vague. And still are. And many wouldn't know how to enforce or recognize when a corps is breaking the rules. (Especially the case in the early electronic years.)

And #### do I wish the judges took into consideration the equipment we are using..... it would at least drive our difficulty and achievement up.... 

18 hours ago, cowtown said:

You can put a human voice in Dr Beat, if it keeps time it’s a metronome  

A drumline lays down a groove and keeps time. It's a metronome. Dutting on the field is keeping time. Metronome. A drum major counting, a consistent high-hat beat on 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 is a metronome. The drum major conducting is a silent metronome. It's all a matter of interpretation. 

Also, I am not aware that DCI every checked Bluecoats ear pieces. Perhaps someone has real info on that. 

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

A drumline lays down a groove and keeps time. It's a metronome. Dutting on the field is keeping time. Metronome. A drum major counting, a consistent high-hat beat on 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 is a metronome. The drum major conducting is a silent metronome. It's all a matter of interpretation. 

Also, I am not aware that DCI every checked Bluecoats ear pieces. Perhaps someone has real info on that. 

Erick Kosman confirmed it last year. Real info.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Western Burger said:

I think at some point, somebody is going to have to stand up and change this progression path.  It's one thing to be a dinosaur and react negatively to all change, it's quite another to let a plethora of changes occur, and then not be able to get back to any kind of drum corps identity.  If we let this natural progression occur, at some point our activity will look no different than WGI or musical theatre.  The only difference would be the turf stage instead of a gym or amphitheater. 

I don't mind the influx of electronics, but when you take away the raw power found in a 60-80 person hornline, that's a drastic change. By miking up small ensembles and leaving a good portion of the GE up to the guard, we are encouraging this change of direction. I love the types of sound that can be produced on a symphonic stage or delicately mixed in a recording studio, but those aren't the sounds I want to hear when I'm on those bleachers as a spectator.  However, maybe I'm in the minority now, and the show designers are always going to adapt to the perceived demand of the audience and the judging community. 

I'm rambling, and my points probably aren't coming out as coherently as I'd like, but I guess my overall point is that groups are going to be relying too heavily on the microphones soon, and it's going to change show design, and how new people approach this activity.

I agree completely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

High all, voice samples (i.e. singing, speeches) are allowed to have rhythmic intent, other samples are not. Last year DCI told us that their rules do not allow for a click track to be used. At San Antonio both in the lot, and during the show, we gave them a pair of headphones and invited them to listen to our center marimba's in-ear mix so they felt good about everything being on the up and up.

From a practical standpoint, everyone marching having in-ears would never work. Because the performers are moving around, the delays would have to be adjusted in REAL TIME for EACH PERFORMER. As of right now, that technology doesn't exists; but I'm sure someone is working on it :-D

Thanks for reassuring us all here at DCP that you were not audio doping. 

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

Erick Kosman confirmed it last year. Real info.

Nevermind. I guess it helps if you read the entire thread. Already covered last night.