Less brass? (to fill another caption)

It seems pretty clear that there's more score contribution from the marginal color guard member than the marginal brass player. So over time, I'd expect corps to substitute CG + electronics for brass players.

Maybe not all the way down to 15 brass like we were discussing on another thread. But it's pretty easy to imagine tubas becoming a "luxury" like a cymbal line is today.

I'm not saying it's good or what I'd personally like to see, just that it's the logical way for things to evolve under the current scoring system.

• Like 1

They can beef up the brass marchers again when that rule kicks in allowing them to project holograms of guard on the field. Imagine the precision if it's just one guard member projected 40 times.

Edited by mjoakes
reject to project
  • Like 1

In the world of live pop/rock concerts many of the live shows are now so visual-centric with complex movements that not only are the singers lip-syncing the musicians are miming (finger-syncing) to per-recorded tracks.  Lip-syncing live started with the Michael Jackson and Madonna days back in the Eighties, but now even many drummers in live concerts are using soft mesh-heads and low-volume cymbals designed for triggers but are no longer hooking up the triggers to a sound system; and guitars, keys, etc. also are not hooked into the live sound system.  Again, they all mimic to recorded tracks due to the high visual demands. Gone are the days where many in the paying audience desire to ‘hear the music performed live in human-terms’, but they now have more desire to ‘see the visual spectacle while being fine with sacrificing the live music production’.  And if this lip-sync finger-sync visual-centric trend continues in our main live concert music culture it is bound to move over into the realm of DCI at some point.

• Like 3

I'm honestly still wanting to see a hornline of 120+ get out there and completely blast me into oblivion. Whether that involves reducing another caption or just adding to the max capacity of members, idc. But I want to lose my ears.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, littlejaw said:

Lots of times brass lines are smaller to add more room for the color guard because not enough talent tried out to fill a 80 man brass line.

An 80 player line is usually 24 trumpets, 16 mellophones, 24 baritones/euphoniums, and 16 Tubas/Contras. You see 12 person mello lines where a few of those members tried out for trumpet. You see 12 and even 10 person Tuba lines. Don't tell me this isn't the case because I marched a 12 person line because we didn't have enough to fill out a 16 Tuba line.

Not sure of other section numbers but mellos are at 16.

Interestingly enough, with all their electronics,  Bluecoats have a 79 member horn line with 15 tubas.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Interestingly enough, with all their electronics,  Bluecoats have a 79 member horn line with 15 tubas.

They certainly played well last night in Hamilton.  They remind me a little of '90s Madison.

• Like 1

They had a good run. A couple of small timing issues between brass and percussion, but they are much improved over their first two shows. And I think you are right , they have an updated '90s Madison vibe to them.