Less brass? (to fill another caption)

26 minutes ago, Ms.L said:

Not sure of other section numbers but mellos are at 16.

For phantom? Wow, they have a 70 line with 16 mellos, that's different.

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In the no-so-distant future I  predict we will see a Corps put their entire brass line of 20 or so, completely mic'ed & in the pit for the whole show, along with a battery of, say 14, with the only on-field performers being about 100 guard.

We kind of made this point in the "rules questions" thread, but it would appear that this is the direction that the activity is taking as a whole. It's certainly not to this extreme yet, but the concept isn't that unfathomable anymore.  What I'm trying to figure out is if this is the direction the audience wants, what the marching members want, or some other demand encouraging this shift.

6 minutes ago, Western Burger said:

We kind of made this point in the "rules questions" thread, but it would appear that this is the direction that the activity is taking as a whole. It's certainly not to this extreme yet, but the concept isn't that unfathomable anymore.  What I'm trying to figure out is if this is the direction the audience wants, what the marching members want, or some other demand encouraging this shift.

I honestly think it's designers getting a bit carried away trying to be unique and edgy. 

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In the no-so-distant future I  predict we will see a Corps put their entire brass line of 20 or so, completely mic'ed & in the pit for the whole show, along with a battery of, say 14, with the only on-field performers being about 100 guard.

SCV has a group of maybe 8-10 mic'd for the majority of the show. It's unexpectedly effective...they are the ones who play all the runs and technical parts, of which there are a bazillion this year. If this is what it takes for complex and detailed horn books, I'll take it. And looks like they actively worked on maintaining a good blend with the hornline proper. I've seen the show high and low, and while you can tell they are amped, it's not jarring or unnatural when included in the full ensemble.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

SCV has a group of maybe 8-10 mic'd for the majority of the show. It's unexpectedly effective...they are the ones who play all the runs and technical parts, of which there are a bazillion this year. If this is what it takes for complex and detailed horn books, I'll take it. And looks like they actively worked on maintaining a good blend with the hornline proper. I've seen the show high and low, and while you can tell they are amped, it's not jarring or unnatural when included in the full ensemble.

Maybe we will see a situation where 15 or so really good brass players do all the playing & electronically send the sounds to something like the fake bugle that is sometimes used at military funerals when no live bugler is available (http://www.ceremonialbugle.com/).  Soundboard could control the volume & balance.  Heck, you could make a 2-piston or even valve-rotor fake bugle!

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

More props, lighting, costumes and more guard. Way too much percussion IMO. They have that WGI thingy they can do. Everything else is backup music to the guard. More electronics would be nice too. 

Here are a couple of DCI direction choices:

(A) DCI should be a healthy meaningful balance between extraordinary visual composition with high artistic demand (such that dancers and choreographers can enjoy) combined with musical composition that has gripping melodic phrases with powerful harmonic content (such that musicians and composers can enjoy).

or

(B) DCI should be 'all about' the extraordinary visual composition with high artistic demand, with sound as a mere backup, your word, to the extraordinary visual composition with high artistic demand (a situation where dancers and choreographers are ecstatic while musicians and composers are downright board to death).

I previously posted this as a response to Guardling in another thread, " Yes it does matter when a musician cannot listen to a CD/MP3 recording and have the music make any musical sense in the terms of phrasing and melodic structure, but only hear quasi-musical sounds that consist of broken phrases, broken melodies along with weird impact points, etc....  While the visual of today's DCI is wonderful, It is becoming ever so difficult for the musician to enjoy the music."

What I and some others desire is direction (A); unless your posting here is dripping with sarcasm it appears that what you Poppy, as well as Guardling, et. al desire is direction (B)

Question: Which direction. (A) or (B). is respectful to multiple fans of both visual art and musical composition, and which direction is a downright narcissistic visual-slap in the face to musicians?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Here are a couple of DCI direction choices:

(A) DCI should be a healthy meaningful balance between extraordinary visual composition with high artistic demand (such that dancers and choreographers can enjoy) combined with musical composition that has gripping melodic phrases with powerful harmonic content (such that musicians and composers can enjoy).

or

(B) DCI should be 'all about' the extraordinary visual composition with high artistic demand, with sound as a mere backup, your word, to the extraordinary visual composition with high artistic demand (a situation where dancers and choreographers are ecstatic while musicians and composers are downright board to death).

I previously posted this as a response to Guardling in another thread, " Yes it does matter when a musician cannot listen to a CD/MP3 recording and have the music make any musical sense in the terms of phrasing and melodic structure, but only hear quasi-musical sounds that consist of broken phrases, broken melodies along with weird impact points, etc....  While the visual of today's DCI is wonderful, It is becoming ever so difficult for the musician to enjoy the music."

What I and some others desire is direction (A); unless your posting here is dripping with sarcasm it appears that what you Poppy, as well as Guardling, et. al desire is direction (B)

Question: Which direction. (A) or (B). is respectful to multiple fans of both visual art and musical composition, and which direction is a downright narcissistic visual-slap in the face to musicians?

nm:12_slight_smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You seem to have a real resurgence on this old topic and continue to want to bring up the obvious on how some may or may not agree with you. Maybe time to let it go?..lol

Also if you are trying to get some kind of answer to support what you obviously feel, maybe just ask the question and don't present an option as a slap in the face. Just for the record I will repeat again , I expressed in the past how things were NOT that I think one is more important than other. I have expressed I believe that we are a very visual medium and maybe that in todays activity alot is focused on the visuals and maybe even said " all about the visuals " meaning without them in todays activity is not what we are today.

You want to press on with this it seems even after so long so maybe you are doing it in the wrong forum. Express your frustration to the music writers today in the activity which as far as I can tell like very much what they are doing it as well as how. You want to continually go back to 1 or 2 people and what we may have said, So what, we are only a few, isn't there a bigger picture out there? If we are a minority what difference does it make how we feel either way?

Hit a nerve?  And I did not bring up the subject; I was posting 'a reply' to Poppy who stated, "Everything else is music backup to the guard" and was re-posting 'a reply' to you who said that music really does not matter.  And this is very relevant because DCI is going the direction of entertaining the visually minded and disregarding those who want to hear more musical cohesive shows.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hit a nerve?  And I did not bring up the subject; I was posting 'a reply' to Poppy who stated, "Everything else is music backup to the guard" and was re-posting 'a reply' to you who said that music really does not matter.  And this is very relevant because DCI is going the direction of entertaining the visually minded and disregarding those who want to hear more musical cohesive shows.

you answered before I deleted my response. Look back you can see. Hey look I get your frustration on your point of view BUT maybe expand your comments to maybe a broader base. You keep quoting 1 or 2 people. Are you mad at a few who may or may not disagree with you OR that  it appears that the activity disagrees .

When I saw Poppy say that , I took it very tongue in cheek and not so serious. maybe I was wrong. I will let them respond.

Edited by GUARDLING

I honestly think this year is one of the best in recent memory of cohesive music books that make sense independently. I've been pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1