Less brass? (to fill another caption)

42 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

If not move on maybe argue with those writers ( music ) of today or for a decade which seem to like what they are doing.

I have not argued but I have talked with many arrangers over the past ten years or so; not only in DCI but also in BOA.  While some of them will not sacrifice musical integrity for a rise in overall GE scoring, most are willing to do what it takes competitively to hopefully attain that elusive ring.  And what it takes in the terms of GE today in the competitive musical arts is to have the Visual drive the ‘entire’ GE design; even if that means sacrificing comprehensible musical phrasing and melodic structure in the name of supporting, and being subordinate to, the almighty Visual.  While I as a musician used to enjoy both the visual and audio being performed in the stadium, I am now finding way more musical edification out in the lot where some of the warm-ups and non-show music have way more comprehensible composition structure than the actual contest music.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I have not argued but I have talked with many arrangers over the past ten years or so; not only in DCI but also in BOA.  While some of them will not sacrifice musical integrity for a rise in overall GE scoring, most are willing to do what it takes competitively to hopefully attain that elusive ring.  And what it takes in the terms of GE today in the competitive musical arts is to have the Visual drive the ‘entire’ GE design; even if that means sacrificing comprehensible musical phrasing and melodic structure in the name of supporting, and being subordinate to, the almighty Visual.  While I as a musician used to enjoy both the visual and audio being performed in the stadium, I am now finding way more musical edification out in the lot where some of the warm-ups and non-show music have way more comprehensible composition structure than the actual contest music.

ok you keep making your point I get what you are saying for your opinion . No need to argue it further, at least not with me.

23 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Well what do you want? It's obviously not going to change for ya. Form a resistance I guess.

I am hoping that the all about the visual driven GE is a fad; a rather long lasting fad though it may be, But it will change eventually to some other direction; change is the only constent (and I hope it is more in a musical direction).  According to Hrothgar I may even end up hearing more musical shows this season.

Just now, Stu said:

I am hoping that the all about the visual driven GE is a fad; a rather long lasting fad though it may be, But it will change eventually to some other direction; change is the only constent (and I hope it is more in a musical direction).  According to Hrothgar I may even end up hearing more musical shows this season.

Well you keep hoping . Hope is good:14_relaxed:

Just now, GUARDLING said:

Well you keep hoping . Hope is good:14_relaxed:

And hope is why I do not leave.  Besides of the three, Faith, Hope, and Love, the greatest is Love.  And while I do not 'like' the current all about the visual GE designs I still do 'love' the activity of DCI.

Before the change in rules to allow 135 (and later 150) members, most full corps of 128 had 64 brass, 32 color guard, 19 battery, 9 or 10 front ensemble and a few conductors. Most of those corps were able to blow the stands down (in tune) without mics. Phantom has at least 43 guard members this year,  which still leaves plenty of room for a full horn line. Yet they feel the need to mic the entire brass section? I don't get it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tommynev said:

Before the change in rules to allow 135 (and later 150) members, most full corps of 128 had 64 brass, 32 color guard, 19 battery, 9 or 10 front ensemble and a few conductors. Most of those corps were able to blow the stands down (in tune) without mics. Phantom has at least 43 guard members this year,  which still leaves plenty of room for a full horn line. Yet they feel the need to mic the entire brass section? I don't get it.

When I first started attending shows in 1996, the programs always listed Regiment brass at 70 strong. So if they have 70 this year, it would seem they are reverting to the old days. 

2 hours ago, tommynev said:

The answer to this is ugly but it's the truth and I say this as a supporter of Bb/F brass:  When the G bugles were "retired" in 2000, the volume dropped significantly because the design of the G brass was meant for outdoor playing.  I'm a good Bb trumpet player and I have zero issues creating a big sound but when I played a G bugle I was a lot louder simply due to the design of the instrument.

The reason brass lines lack sizzle and energy is because the Bb and F horns were designed for the concert hall, not the playing field.  DCI took the indoor equipment outdoors and while the sound quality is improved, the volume is reduced.  That's why it takes 16 Bb tubas to match the sound of eight G contras.

• Like 1