Corps Policy on Alternates?

I am curious as to how alternates are used by most corps:

1)  Alternates are named as the beginning of the season.  They fill in when needed, but when the original marching member is able to march again....they get their spot back and the alternate is back to the sideline until another spot opens up.

or

2) Alternates are named at the beginning of the season.  When an injury occurs, they get the spot and get to keep it for the rest of the tour.  The injured marching member then becomes an alternate and once they are able to march again....they wait on the sideline for the rest of the season until another spot opens up.

My opinions:

1 is the proper use of alternates.  It's fair to the marching members and it also benefits the corps the most (assuming the marching member can be back on the field in a relatively short period of time....say a week or less).  By that I mean, if you have a marching member that has 6 weeks experience marching a spot and has learned it from the beginning of spring training.  It seems to make little sense that a corps will stick an alternate in that spot for the rest of the summer if the injured marching member can be back on the field within a week.  

2 is an improper use of alternates - It is unfair to the marching members in that they've worked hard and learned their spot.  Suffering an injury that causes them to lose a week or so shouldn't force them to the sideline for the rest of the season and be "demoted" to the role of an alternate.  Also, it doesn't seem to be in the best interest of the corps.  Presumably, the marching member is more talented than the alternate.  Additionally, the marching member has been marching the spot since it was learned (almost 6 weeks).  How does permanently replacing that marching member with someone who will just be learning the spot benefit the corps if the original marching member can be back on the field in less than a week?

Anyway, Do you think 1 or 2 is the most popular use of alternates?  I am interested to hear your opinions.

It depends upon the corps policy and the context of the situation and the abilities of the members involved. Most corps have a cover your back policy towards alternate that they are just that, no guarantees they will make it to the field ever.

Some corps that carry alternates have brought in ringers at a greatly reduced fee to fill a hole, often a never giving the alternates a chance at that spot

the big print giveth the small print taketh

My concern with alternates, is that as long as everything is stated beforehand, and agreed upon by both parties, then either situation is allowable.

However.  Stating one thing, writing an agreement, and then changing mid process, that's not ok.  

To be honest, I think there should be a time when alternates get cut loose.  Or at least ask them near the middle of July, "(insert name of corps) has a (insert section name) spot, would you be interested in filling that simply to gain the performance experience?"   You can kill two birds with one stone.  You had an alternate while bodies got used to tour and injuries heal up, they eventually get to perform in shows consistently.  

I agree with all the comments above. Good points. If a corps is going to carry alternates they must be careful with their agreements. I think cowtown has it correct in regards to the "cover your back" policy. Most corps will be honest and let you know that there are no guarantees. Even if you get to plug a hole for a show or two, there are no guarantees. If the corps you are an alternate with is in the running for a top spot at Finals, and a good player/marcher goes down, it is not uncommon for that corps to bring in a ringer (as cowtown mentioned), essentially someone who is a great player and marcher who the corps trusts to learn the spot.  In some cases present alternates may not have a shot at that open spot because the ringer gets it.  That's life in a competitive field.  But I imagine we would only see this with a few corps.

I have often thought it best for a drum corps to not carry alternates. When an opening comes up I often feel it's best to find the right person for that opening (instrument, marching experience, etc.).  There are so many talented performers out there who go to the audition camps, and not all of them end up marching.  If a corps is keeping tabs on these kids I believe there is plenty of talent out there for any corps if they need someone to fill a spot.

Filling a spot in guard or the battery, however, could be crippling for any corps. 

51 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

My concern with alternates, is that as long as everything is stated beforehand, and agreed upon by both parties, then either situation is allowable.

However.  Stating one thing, writing an agreement, and then changing mid process, that's not ok.  

To be honest, I think there should be a time when alternates get cut loose.  Or at least ask them near the middle of July, "(insert name of corps) has a (insert section name) spot, would you be interested in filling that simply to gain the performance experience?"   You can kill two birds with one stone.  You had an alternate while bodies got used to tour and injuries heal up, they eventually get to perform in shows consistently.  

Every corps I've ever worked for (or marched with) has a written alternate policy. In my experience, it's worked more or less like this:

1. Alternates pay a reduced fee (usually around half the normal amount). Their payments are *fully refunded* if #4 occurs (see below).

2. Alternates rehearse with the corps, including sectionals, and will shadow a drill spot when possible. They learn all music and choreography.

3. They are not guaranteed a spot, even in the case of injury, but they may be given an opportunity to earn that spot. Sometimes an alternate can jump right in with little issue, but many times the alternate is not ready, or isn't capable of earning the available spot (all spots are not created equal, ie, it's a lead trumpet spot and the alternate has no range). It's really situation dependent.

4. Should the alternate be offered a position in another corps, they are allowed to make the switch to the other corps if they desire. This generally happens during spring training, and is fairly common (mostly brass and guard), but can happen on the road (I've never see it personally, but I've been told by others it has).

5. Generally, once an alternate earns a spot, it's his/hers, and they assume the responsibility for that spot. Exceptions can be made if an alternate subs in for an injured member that's only out for a short time...an alternate may be given that spot temporarily. I've never personally seen this happen, as if it's a one or two show thing the corps will usually just march the blank.

Sometimes a corps will carry an alternate with both parties knowing full well they may never earn a spot, but it's worth developing that person with an eye on the long term. I've seen that done on more than one occasion, and in every case the alternate in question has returned the following season and earned a spot.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2