Santa Barbara Showdown - June 28, 2017

3 hours ago, t.a.r.b. said:

Heading back to watch their last few hours of rehearsal, then waiting patiently near the ticket booth because I was lazy about buying tix...

They've put mics on some of the performers as they make their way from the starting line towards the diamond drill. Trumpets are playing some reverbed notes that add a little more color and soundscape to the snareline/oogachaka sequence.

Sounds like a decent bit of time was devoted to working the time change in bumblebee and beyond, and you can definitely hear it.

Those trumpets playing reverbed notes were actually originally there during spring training but for some reason were taken out when the season began. I'm glad they were added back in because they'll make the drum feature not seem as long and add a bit more texture/a more frenetic mood to the opener. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Lots of Calif. is just meh, imo.... but Santa Barbara, Calif is really a beautiful, scenic, seaside town, imo

...and they pay for EVERY penny of it!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

...and they pay for EVERY penny of it!

I die a little on the inside every time I sign away my rent check...

Beautiful place to call home though!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Those trumpets playing reverbed notes were actually originally there during spring training but for some reason were taken out when the season began. I'm glad they were added back in because they'll make the drum feature not seem as long and add a bit more texture/a more frenetic mood to the opener. 

Didn't know that! The notes seem a little out of place and the reverb somewhat muddies up the backfield horn entrance. However it's the Blue Devils and I trust their process. Meehan was workshopping their entrances for a while today.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, t.a.r.b. said:

Didn't know that! The notes seem a little out of place and the reverb somewhat muddies up the backfield horn entrance. However it's the Blue Devils and I trust their process. Meehan was workshopping their entrances for a while today.

Sent you a PM

• Like 1

Can't wait for this show. Was up at Stanford and SCV was spectacular....so excited to see them again! Also looking forward to another look at Phantom Regiment! I know they will deliver by season's end.

Also have to give a shout out to the beauty of California, top to bottom! Santa Barbara is a jewel for sure, but we love the entire coastline from Mendocino to San Diego. The mountains are pretty wonderful, as well. The only downside to living on the west coast is seeing only early season drum corps.  Lol.

• Like 3

Gotta give a shout out and some love to BK!!! Love your show and can't wait to see it again this weekend!!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BassFanMom said:

Gotta give a shout out and some love to BK!!! Love your show and can't wait to see it again this weekend!!!

One of the few shows out that I haven't seen this year! Really looking forward to seeing those new uni's, they consistently look fantastic year to year.

• Like 1

Starting to notice how similar SCV and Phantom look from a distance.

Also sounds like the corps will be performing standstills of their shows after their field performance. Going to be a great night in SoCal!

• Like 3