• Blue Knights
    • Blue Stars
    • Academy
    • Boston
    • Madison
    • Crossmen
    • Blue Stars
    • Troopers

Over the past 3 to 4 years, it's clearly been Bluecoats. Blue Devils are close, and in an odd sort of way I think Crown has been pretty hip too. In certain parts of the country I would guess Bluecoats and Crown are the two most popular corps with youth in their 20s and 30s, and especially with teens (who may not be hip just yet). 

2 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

in a couple years their uniforms will be "vintage" and they'll REALLY be hipster... plot twist: pioneer is the corps to bring back traditional uniforms after everyone else hops on the wagon :o

Don't forget the hats. Hipsters love their unique headwear. 

Ahhh, the age-old question: "What is Hip?"

It's been asked in Drum Corps before, by some very hip teams like The Freelancers, Doc Crosser's Osage Precisionnaires (who nailed it to death) and the aforementioned Devils.

And it's been dissected throughout the ages by other artistes like the Beat poets, the Greek poets and the Meat Puppets.

Lord Buckley addressed the "hipsters, flipsters and finger-poppin' daddies" in his nightclub audience, among whom sat Sinatra, Martin, Davis...et al. But what IS it?

In 1973, it was this:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-avast-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=avast&p=What+is+hip+tower+of+power+lyrics#id=5&vid=4aff33aba12130878394697dafa5a34c&action=view

Note the prophetic lyrics:

"What's Hip today might become passe"

"Hipness is...what it is"

"Sometimes Hipness is what it ain't"

The defense rests. Let the jurors deliberate.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Which in my head is a good thing, otherwise you could be a hipster and a snowflake at the same time, and still walking around with a Bernie Sanders campaign button.

I'm still wearing my Bernie button in spirit :whistle:

• Like 2

Coats can't be hipster cause they are winning. Hipsters are the people who aren't setting trends from above but are from bellow.

BK all the way. More dance than any corps, slower tempos, highly intellectual content, introspective, existential. No one gets the shows. Lol. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Model Mellow said:

Coats can't be hipster cause they are winning. Hipsters are the people who aren't setting trends from above but are from bellow.

BK all the way. More dance than any corps, slower tempos, highly intellectual content, introspective, existential. No one gets the shows. Lol. 

I agree with the BK pick. 

Anyone picking Crown for this is crazy 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

I'd say Blue Knights, Bloo and Oregon Crusaders are the closest to that. Blue Knights are using Björk for example, Oregon was it last year they used Björk? It takes a certain type of appreciation to be into her music, kinda like black coffee, another hipster thing. If anyone wants to try to get into her music I'd recommend listening to her Vespertine album top to bottom btw. However, I didn't vote Bloo because they're the top dogs now. Naturally, with the hipster culture, they can't be the most hipster because their popularity. (It's not hipster if you call it hipster! lol) I voted BK because they're weird, hard to understand it's almost frustrating, but they stick to their own aesthetic and with that there's a natural appeal to them whether be negative or positive. Also, they've basically given something different every single year without really following a major formula besides their closers and the 14-16 uniforms. They're also from Denver... majorrrr hipster.

Don't get more hipster than BK!

• Like 1