On the lack of headgear...

First and foremost, I approve 100%. I think that it gives the members more freedom to perform without having the restraints of the headgear keeping them from performing to the best of their ability (same thing goes for the slimmer, sleeker uniforms for that matter). But as an advocate of these changes, I understand that it could have other implications as well. Knowing what we know about how guard is expected to perform all of the time during a performance, including facial expressions, will the facial expressions/characterizations of the horns and drums now as well be taken into account in scores? Will they have to focus on those types of things during rehearsals? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

will the facial expressions/characterizations of the horns and drums now as well be taken into account in scores?  

I hope not.  Catching the overdone emotions of some pit players is bad enough.  Let the guard cover that responsibility.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

will the facial expressions/characterizations of the horns and drums now as well be taken into account in scores?

Only if the judges can see them?

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what so many corps have against sleeves.

• Like 1

In short, one goal is to be sharing the emotion at a level that the audience wishes it was you. The visceral effect of Bloo's energy seeing their fun last year was undeniable. We'll be seeing even more. Some of the new hat-less groups are still performing like they have hats on. But I'd bet they get better at connecting before August.

So yes. They will be (are being) taught to share their emotion.

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

They are expressing their right to bare arms!

very witty indeed

50 minutes ago, Ghost said:

... Catching the overdone emotions of some pit players is bad enough...

One of my favorite close-up camera shots comes from the eighties when SCV did Russian Christmas Music.  There was a musical moment where a phrase ended in an impact then faded away in a decrescendo. At that very moment the camera was on the Timpani player and you could tell that the joy in her face/eyes was ‘Real’. It was not brought on by the Staff telling her to Emote; again it was ‘Real’.  That Real reaction is not only okay with me but should be encouraged by the Staff.  However, the fake facial and body emotions which are forced onto the performers in the name of increasing GE scoring grates on me because more times than not anyone seeing it can tell it is fake.

• Like 2