On the lack of headgear...

36 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Aw now..we would have never seen Shayne's "wink" with that big ole helmet on his head.  And it was pure gold... 

I liked the 2010 Metropolis baritone solo flare he had with his helmet on.

Edited by Blasian62
  • Like 1

Like with everything, there are tradeoffs. Many awesome visual moments - I'm thinking of the Cavies in the 00s here - just would not have worked without the headgear creating uniform shapes for all the marchers.

And I'll give you that removing the headgear sometimes makes it easier to build an emotional connection with the audience. Bluecoats last year was pure magic.

On the other hand, a lot of emoting in DCI shows is pretty unconvincing. After seeing the 10th drumline in a row strike an absurdly aggressive pose at the end of their solo, I doubt anyone is really buying it. 

The bluecoats wink was where hats not being on are appropriate - featured soloists near the front.  As to the rest, I pray this is a fad.  From more than 20 rows, you can't really see facial expressions or eyes, and it costs far more in form clarity and presence.  Just my humble opinion.

Harvey

• Like 4

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Only if the judges can see them?

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what so many corps have against sleeves.

Summer?

I've always imagined those full sleeved uniforms from years ago must have been terribly hot in the summer and not allow the performers bodies to sweat, which would help in cooling, which would help in increasing the marcher's performance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Aw now..we would have never seen Shayne's "wink" with that big ole helmet on his head.  And it was pure gold... 

Soloists over the years have often taken off their headgear.  You might be right, but I've seen it the other way as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

One of my favorite close-up camera shots comes from the eighties when SCV did Russian Christmas Music.  There was a musical moment where a phrase ended in an impact then faded away in a decrescendo. At that very moment the camera was on the Timpani player and you could tell that the joy in her face/eyes was ‘Real’. It was not brought on by the Staff telling her to Emote; again it was ‘Real’.  That Real reaction is not only okay with me but should be encouraged by the Staff.  However, the fake facial and body emotions which are forced onto the performers in the name of increasing GE scoring grates on me because more times than not anyone seeing it can tell it is fake.

To me...real emotion was demonstrated here...I get choked up every time I watch the video...2002 Boston..

noo417ceoh5tvq36g.jpg

dkokbjkc5e5l7dt6g.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Summer?

So the corps with just one sleeve are based in more temperate locales?